Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seek and alternative route
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
hamster
Here we go again! Roadworks on the A4 commencing 14th July for 7 days presumably from the signage by the lower way hospital A4 junction ( not too clear)
Seek alternative route the signs say, what Turnpike road or Hambridge Rd? - thanks, thanks alot! Both 'alternative routes' are already jammed up on a normal morning. Am I the only one worried about explaining to my employer why I am mega late for work? As kids school in Thatcham And work in Newbury can't drop them off any earlier as too young.
Why on earth they cannot wait one week until the school summer hol?? Oh likely because they dont think.
Will they adjust the traffic lights at the Robin hood or sainsburys rbt for the 'alternative routes' not blimin likely. Rubbish planning
user23
What is your suggested alternative course of action for them?
hamster
Well I said in my post, wait a week until school holidays start when there will be a bit less traffic having to seek alternative routes.
user23
QUOTE (hamster @ Jul 9 2011, 09:01 AM) *
Well I said in my post, wait a week until school holidays start when there will be a bit less traffic having to seek alternative routes.
School holidays start in a fortnight so what do you suggest the people who will be carrying out the work, do in the meantime?
Andy Capp
QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 9 2011, 09:11 AM) *
School holidays start in a fortnight so what do you suggest the people who will be carrying out the work, do in the meantime?

I presume this work was scheduled months ago? They'd just do something else. Especially when you look at all the road works gong on about the district.
user23
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 9 2011, 09:19 AM) *
I presume this work was scheduled months ago? They'd just do something else. Especially when you look at all the road works gong on about the district.
"All the road works going on about the district" are carried out by different companies. British Gas, BT, Thames Water, Southern Electric and many more. British Gas couldn't "just go" and repair the BT network for example. Some are also tied in with project work, so if they were to delay the work for a fortnight this would put the whole schedule of work back by two weeks.

Even if there was "something else" to do, they'd still be digging up road somewhere and no doubt someone would moan about it. This happened in October last year when many roadworks were bought forward so that there would be a minimum over the Christmas period. Guess what; a few moaned about them and New Newbury Labour jumped on the bandwagon.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 9 2011, 10:18 AM) *
Even if there was "something else" to do, they'd still be digging up road somewhere and no doubt someone would moan about it. This happened in October last year when many roadworks were bought forward so that there would be a minimum over the Christmas period. Guess what; a few moaned about them and New Newbury Labour jumped on the bandwagon.

How about postponing some 'till after Christmas? CCTV upgrade for instance! tongue.gif
JeffG
Is this information available on a web site anywhere? I often ferry people to and from the local hospital, so it would be nice to know exactly what's going on.
HeatherW
With Hungerford and other areas with the same problem it belittles the Government saying there isn't much money around.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (hamster @ Jul 8 2011, 11:03 PM) *
Here we go again! Roadworks on the A4 commencing 14th July for 7 days presumably from the signage by the lower way hospital A4 junction ( not too clear)
Seek alternative route the signs say, what Turnpike road or Hambridge Rd? - thanks, thanks alot! Both 'alternative routes' are already jammed up on a normal morning. Am I the only one worried about explaining to my employer why I am mega late for work? As kids school in Thatcham And work in Newbury can't drop them off any earlier as too young.
Why on earth they cannot wait one week until the school summer hol?? Oh likely because they dont think.
Will they adjust the traffic lights at the Robin hood or sainsburys rbt for the 'alternative routes' not blimin likely. Rubbish planning

Not an option for everyone I know, but could you and your children walk or cycle for the week?
user23
QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 9 2011, 10:59 AM) *
Is this information available on a web site anywhere? I often ferry people to and from the local hospital, so it would be nice to know exactly what's going on.
Roadworks
QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 9 2011, 11:26 AM) *
With Hungerford and other areas with the same problem it belittles the Government saying there isn't much money around.
I don't understand what you mean by this. Could you elaborate please?
JeffG
QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 9 2011, 11:52 AM) *

Thanks for the link. However, there are no roadworks listed starting on 14th July in that area.
NWNREADER
QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 9 2011, 12:21 PM) *
Thanks for the link. However, there are no roadworks listed starting on 14th July in that area.

This?

spartacus
QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 9 2011, 12:21 PM) *
It could be the BT work has been delayed. Otherwise these are the other works

► A4 Benham Hill, Thatcham
Dates: 08/07/2011 to 12/07/2011 (estimated) - Impact: Slight impact on journey time - Responsibility for these works: BT

Dates: 13/07/2011 to 15/07/2011 (estimated) - Impact: Slight impact on journey time - Responsibility for these works: Thames Water

Dates: 13/07/2011 to 26/07/2011 (estimated) - Impact: Moderate impact on journey time - Responsibility for these works: West Berkshire Council

Dates: 20/07/2011 to 22/07/2011 (estimated) - Impact: Slight impact on journey time - Responsibility for these works: Fulcrum Pipelines Limited
HeatherW
QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 9 2011, 11:52 AM) *
RoadworksI don't understand what you mean by this. Could you elaborate please?

Some council have said because of the cut backs a lot of road works will have to be suspended or cut back.
user23
QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 9 2011, 01:16 PM) *
It could be the BT work has been delayed. Otherwise these are the other works
Perhaps this is a good indication of why they can't "just do something else" as there seem to be four parties all involved in these works.
user23
QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 9 2011, 02:44 PM) *
Some council have said because of the cut backs a lot of road works will have to be suspended or cut back.
How does this affect BT, Thames Water and Fulcrum Pipelines who seem to be carrying out the works?
HeatherW
QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 9 2011, 02:46 PM) *
How does this affect BT, Thames Water and Fulcrum Pipelines who seem to be carrying out the works?

Are they not private companies? I said councils. And I was quoting what other councils have said. Not what I believe.
user23
QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 9 2011, 02:54 PM) *
Are they not private companies? I said councils. And I was quoting what other councils have said. Not what I believe.
No, actually you said the Government, not Councils but that's not really important.

Yes, they're private companies doing the work here and in Hungerford. So how does it "belittle the Government saying there isn't much money around" when private companies carry out roadworks?
HeatherW
QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 9 2011, 02:57 PM) *
No, actually you said the Government, not Councils but that's not really important.

If I said "governments" then I apologise to you.

Yes, they're private companies doing the work here and in Hungerford. So how does it "belittle the Government saying there isn't much money around" when private companies carry out roadworks?

As we have ascertained I meant "Councils". As to the Question. Forgive me if I am wrong but does not the council pay for the road works? Unless of course it is not council business. I was told, or believed, that the road works were because of repairs to the roads.
user23
QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 9 2011, 03:05 PM) *

As we have ascertained I meant "Councils". As to the Question. Forgive me if I am wrong but does not the council pay for the road works? Unless of course it is not council business. I was told, or believed, that the road works were because of repairs to the roads.
No, as far as I understand on the whole the council don't pay for roadworks carried out by utility companies.
Cognosco
QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 9 2011, 03:05 PM) *

Heather you are missing the point. Whatever happens in Newbury it would not be the councils fault in Users eyes. It would be some other organisations fault, or as usually happens a contractors fault. User only pops up when WBC are mentioned which inevitably means they are critisiced. In other words defelection! rolleyes.gif
On the edge
Odd isn't it, we've been suffering from delays caused by road works for years. There are very few alternatives to delay. What I think is fascinating is that not one of the contractors has come up with a means to better do the work, or better keep the traffic flowing via temporary measures in all those years. So for those who think 'technology' will come and solve our World fuel shortage situation - think again!!
HeatherW
QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 9 2011, 03:16 PM) *
No, as far as I understand on the whole the council don't pay for roadworks carried out by utility companies.

OK. Thanks.
HeatherW
QUOTE (Cognosco @ Jul 9 2011, 03:43 PM) *
Heather you are missing the point. Whatever happens in Newbury it would not be the councils fault in Users eyes. It would be some other organisations fault, or as usually happens a contractors fault. User only pops up when WBC are mentioned which inevitably means they are critisiced. In other words defelection! rolleyes.gif

Does not User 23 work for the council? Something to do with computers, as I understand it. That is probably why he is so protective. I suppose I would be if I were in his shoes. More so if my employers knew I moonlighted as a protector of our councils position. In today's climate we all must do whatever we can to protect our jobs.
JeffG
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jul 9 2011, 01:13 PM) *

Thanks for that. The page which the original link points to has completely changed now.

Although it's not clear, from the description it looks as though the roadworks will be the roundabout side of the traffic lights, i.e. after the hospital entrance.
NWNREADER
QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 10 2011, 11:58 AM) *
Thanks for that. The page which the original link points to has completely changed now.

Although it's not clear, from the description it looks as though the roadworks will be the roundabout side of the traffic lights, i.e. after the hospital entrance.

Which is always correct, bearing in mind the Robin Hood and Turnpike roundabouts.....
rolleyes.gif

JeffG
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jul 10 2011, 03:43 PM) *
Which is always correct, bearing in mind the Robin Hood and Turnpike roundabouts.....
rolleyes.gif

You know exactly what I mean. No need to roll your eyes at me!
NWNREADER
QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 10 2011, 07:04 PM) *
You know exactly what I mean. No need to roll your eyes at me!

Lena Zavaroni/Pearl Bailey, or Emile Forde?
wub.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.