Yes.
user23
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 19 2011, 08:51 AM) *
Yes.
Why the change of heart?
NWNREADER
Yes.

Nominations have opened? Papers submitted?

Or do you mean 'I intend to'?
kellsbells
Yes.

Are you still standing in Central Thatcham?
Richard Garvie
QUOTE (kellsbells @ Mar 22 2011, 05:19 PM) *
Are you still standing in Central Thatcham?

Maybe wink.gif
NWNREADER
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Mar 19 2011, 09:48 AM) *
Nominations have opened? Papers submitted?

Or do you mean 'I intend to'?

You've done it again........
user23
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Mar 23 2011, 08:14 PM) *
He's avoided a question.

Not a great start when apparently, "transparency and democracy appear to be the backbone of the campaign".
Andy Capp
QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 23 2011, 08:23 PM) *
He's avoided a question.

Not a great start when apparently, "transparency and democracy appear to be the backbone of the campaign".

Yes. Call the police. It is an outrage.
Richard Garvie
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Mar 23 2011, 08:14 PM) *

I obviously need my nomination to be approved, but barring an all out campaign to stop me from being allowed to stand, I will of course be seeking election.

I thought that would be obvious.
user23
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 23 2011, 08:27 PM) *
I obviously need my nomination to be approved, but barring an all out campaign to stop me from being allowed to stand, I will of course be seeking election.

I thought that would be obvious.
It's not obvious seeing as you said you weren't going to stand to further your political career, around a month ago.

Why the U-turn?
Richard Garvie
QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 23 2011, 08:30 PM) *
It's not obvious seeing as you said you weren't going to stand to further your political career, around a month ago.

Why the U-turn?

Because I'm not standing to further any political career. I have no real desire to be a politician. I'm standing because I believe I can do better that what we have now.
NWNREADER
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 23 2011, 08:32 PM) *
Because I'm not standing to further any political career. I have no real desire to be a politician. I'm standing because I believe I can do better that what we have now.

Then do not stand for a political party. Has to be said, on past experience, you have a better chance as an Independent than as a Labour candidate. Especially as you say you will support Conservative policy in some of your activities.
Richard Garvie
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Mar 23 2011, 08:39 PM) *
Then do not stand for a political party. Has to be said, on past experience, you have a better chance as an Independent than as a Labour candidate. Especially as you say you will support Conservative policy in some of your activities.

It's called being responsible. The Labour Party nationally do not oppose everything this Government is doing, Labour would have had to make savings too. The point of difference is how the savings are delivered and prioritising certain things. Just like in West Berkshire, we should all be working towards identifying any savings before we close day centres, youth clunbs etc.

Answer me this: How can a council justify charging disabled people to collect litter?
NWNREADER
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 23 2011, 09:02 PM) *
Answer me this: How can a council justify charging disabled people to collect litter?

Perchance answered elsewhere - as best I know they don't need to because they are not proposing to.....
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 23 2011, 09:02 PM) *

Wack, wack, oops! They're not. wink.gif

Please think before you post! cool.gif
user23
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 23 2011, 09:57 PM) *

Looks like someone's "making things up".
Andy Capp
QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 23 2011, 10:02 PM) *
Looks like someone's "making things up".

Yes. He needs to put a lot more practice in before he becomes General Secretary.
Richard Garvie
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 23 2011, 09:57 PM) *

At a recent council meeting, was it not suggested that clients could utilise their personal budgets to do this?
user23
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 23 2011, 10:04 PM) *
Yes. He needs to put a lot more practice in before he becomes General Secretary.
At the moment all I see is General Incompetence. wink.gif
NWNREADER
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 23 2011, 10:06 PM) *
At a recent council meeting, was it not suggested that clients could utilise their personal budgets to do this?

Exactly, and the PB is money given to them by the Council......... Self help........ Not a charge......... No compulsion.......
Richard Garvie
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Mar 23 2011, 10:07 PM) *
Exactly, and the PB is money given to them by the Council......... Self help........ Not a charge......... No compulsion.......

Money given to them because day centres are being removed. What if somebody wants to attend a day centre (if one could be found) one day a week and litter pick another day? That budget will soon be gone.
NWNREADER
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 23 2011, 10:09 PM) *
Money given to them because day centres are being removed. What if somebody wants to attend a day centre (if one could be found) one day a week and litter pick another day? That budget will soon be gone.

If I give someone money for them to fund their chosen activities they can chose to spend it all, some, none, or more (and add their own contribution. I really cannot see what you are now trying to say....... Many people will be able to resource their needs cheaper than it costs WBC to provide it, and more flexibly.
Richard Garvie
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Mar 23 2011, 10:12 PM) *
If I give someone money for them to fund their chosen activities they can chose to spend it all, some, none, or more (and add their own contribution. I really cannot see what you are now trying to say....... Many people will be able to resource their needs cheaper than it costs WBC to provide it, and more flexibly.

So those with learning disabilities and mobility issues, what about them? Those with learning disabilities would struggle to administer their personal budgets and those with mobility issues will have nothing to do. Personal budgets should be an option, with other choices available including day centres.
blackdog
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 24 2011, 07:59 AM) *
So those with learning disabilities and mobility issues, what about them? Those with learning disabilities would struggle to administer their personal budgets and those with mobility issues will have nothing to do. Personal budgets should be an option, with other choices available including day centres.

Thus doubling the cost to WBC? As I see it it is an either/or situation.

People unable to cope with the personal budgets are, presumably, already unable to cope with their current finances and have support to help them. This support won't have to expand much in order to take in the extra cash from the personal budgets.

The problem lies in the need to remove publically funded facilities in order to create the market for privately funded alternatives - and the uncertainty that the private facilities will ever appear. Are any local charities or private companies showing any sign of doing anything?

In my opinion WBC would have done better to keep more of the day centres and to run them as if they were commercial, charging users the market rate for such places and expecting them cover their costs.
Richard Garvie
QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 24 2011, 11:41 AM) *
Thus doubling the cost to WBC? As I see it it is an either/or situation.

People unable to cope with the personal budgets are, presumably, already unable to cope with their current finances and have support to help them. This support won't have to expand much in order to take in the extra cash from the personal budgets.

The problem lies in the need to remove publically funded facilities in order to create the market for privately funded alternatives - and the uncertainty that the private facilities will ever appear. Are any local charities or private companies showing any sign of doing anything?

In my opinion WBC would have done better to keep more of the day centres and to run them as if they were commercial, charging users the market rate for such places and expecting them cover their costs.

There was no consultation before the announcement to close the centres was made. If there had been, I'm show groups could have planned to take on the existing day centres and run them will less council finance, but the option was never made available. Think about it, the council could have done it to promote the big society, think of the PR value of protecting those services in the financial climate by using David Camerons masterplan. Instead, they are axing the centres and youth clubs and asking people to pick up the pieces.

Where are the private led day centres and services? Why are the service users not being consulted? The council claims people are being consulted, but it appears that only select support groups are involved, and the majority of users are still none the wiser. This is why people are campaigning against the closures, and it may be that proper consultation would resolve many of the issues.
TallDarkAndHandsome
Richard - As you feel so strongly about the closure of the day centres / youth clubs why not head up a charity to generate funds to pay for these? You obviously have a lot of time / energy. Much more constructive than just moaning all the time.
Richard Garvie
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Mar 24 2011, 01:33 PM) *
Richard - As you feel so strongly about the closure of the day centres / youth clubs why not head up a charity to generate funds to pay for these? You obviously have a lot of time / energy. Much more constructive than just moaning all the time.

If the council are prepared to enter into discussion with regards to keeping the facilities open, I would happily work on a plan to allow the community to take over the facilities at a saving to the taxpayer. The administration refuse to discuss anything with me, but the offer is there.

Hopefully the Day Centre Action Group will be able to put forward a proposal, and with my involvement being only as an advisor now, the council have no reason not to engage.
NWNREADER
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 24 2011, 01:40 PM) *
If the council are prepared to enter into discussion with regards to keeping the facilities open, I would happily work on a plan to allow the community to take over the facilities at a saving to the taxpayer. The administration refuse to discuss anything with me, but the offer is there.

Hopefully the Day Centre Action Group will be able to put forward a proposal, and with my involvement being only as an advisor now, the council have no reason not to engage.

Day Centre Action Group? Who are they, then? No-one consulted me.......
Richard Garvie
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Mar 24 2011, 01:47 PM) *

Everyone is invited, next Tuesday at 7:30pm, Newbury FC club house on Faraday Road.
NWNREADER
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Mar 24 2011, 01:47 PM) *

I didn't ask where they met, I asked who they are. What is their remit, their objectives? How are they consulting with interested individuals to see whet the broad opinion is?
Richard Garvie
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Mar 24 2011, 01:51 PM) *
I didn't ask where they met, I asked who they are. What is their remit, their objectives? How are they consulting with interested individuals to see whet the broad opinion is?

Those who are attending are either carers, service users and their families I would say. The meeting on Tuesday is to for a steering committee and progress with the campaign to save the centres.
NWNREADER
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 24 2011, 04:10 PM) *
Those who are attending are either carers, service users and their families I would say. The meeting on Tuesday is to for a steering committee and progress with the campaign to save the centres.

Getting there.....

Remit? Consultation with people involved? I've had plenty of contact from WBC, none from this group......
Simon Kirby
Sorry, I must be being dim or something, but I'm struggling to find what you have to do and by when to stand in the Newbury parish elections. Can anyone point me at some information please.
Richard Garvie
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 25 2011, 05:14 PM) *
Sorry, I must be being dim or something, but I'm struggling to find what you have to do and by when to stand in the Newbury parish elections. Can anyone point me at some information please.

You can colect nomination forms from the town council, you then have to get ten people to sign your nomination slip. The closing date for nominations in a week on Monday I believe. Let me know via email if you have any specific questions and I'll forward them on to our election agent to answer for you.
Andy Capp
Sorry, I must be being dim or something, but I'm struggling to find what you have to do and by when to stand in the Newbury parish elections.

Become mad; about now.
Cognosco

You have to either belong to the funny handshake brigade or be a member of the local mafia to stand any chance of election success. unless you wish to stand as an independent then you will need a small miracle to break the hold of the local Tory blue rinse society. wink.gif

Still nothing ventured.......
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 25 2011, 05:23 PM) *
Become mad; about now.

I can't see it being any fun at all.
NWNREADER
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 25 2011, 06:10 PM) *

But you will get rich on expenses and allowances, and free use of the Council Chamber........ unless you do away with it!!!
Cognosco
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 25 2011, 06:10 PM) *

I feel voters are completely at a loss at the moment. They do not have any one they can vote for with complete confidence.

Give it a go Simon I am confident you can raise ten sponsors for the first leg?
I know of numerous people who are totally disgruntled with the present lot. rolleyes.gif
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Mar 25 2011, 06:12 PM) *
unless you do away with it!!!

Oh silly, that was just something I said.
Exhausted
What's wrong with all you people. Here is a guy who is prepared to engage with the council, feels strongly about the support groups for the people chucked out of their centres and on the surface is offering loads of his own time.
I don't care what his reasons are for doing what he's doing but at last there is somebody who is not just posting backbiting trivia. All you anti guys, what are you doing apart from, like me, sitting on your backsides, hidden by your nom de plume and moaning on a forum.

NWN reader, User 23, Tall Dark and handsome, perhaps you would care to let us know what you are doing to support the groups.
NWNREADER
QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 25 2011, 06:16 PM) *
I feel voters are completely at a loss at the moment. They do not have any one they can vote for with complete confidence.

I know of numerous people who are totally disgruntled with the present lot. rolleyes.gif

Just have more policy ideas than allotments and getting rid of the Mayor!! Single cause candidates can succeed, but not that often.........
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 25 2011, 06:16 PM) *

Thank you.

Actually it's 2 sponsors at the parish level.

Anyone know how much the deposit is at a parish election, and how many votes you need to get it back?
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Mar 25 2011, 06:19 PM) *
Just have more policy ideas than allotments and getting rid of the Mayor!! Single cause candidates can succeed, but not that often.........

Can you name a single cause championed by a single town councillor (and no wise cracks about Viccy Park).
Cognosco
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Mar 25 2011, 06:19 PM) *
What's wrong with all you people. Here is a guy who is prepared to engage with the council, feels strongly about the support groups for the people chucked out of their centres and on the surface is offering loads of his own time.
I don't care what his reasons are for doing what he's doing but at last there is somebody who is not just posting backbiting trivia. All you anti guys, what are you doing apart from, like me, sitting on your backsides, hidden by your nom de plume and moaning on a forum.

NWN reader, User 23, Tall Dark and handsome, perhaps you would care to let us know what you are doing to support the groups.

Sorry! Just get so despondent and find it is impossible to break the hold of the local mafia. The people of Newbury do not like change and all decisions are made by just a handful of the local clique dignitaries. No notice is taken of whatever the local electorate want and so you get the apathy that is present as now. wink.gif
user23
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Mar 25 2011, 06:19 PM) *
Why do you think we support the aims of the groups?
Andy Capp
QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 25 2011, 07:10 PM) *

Exactly. When would you find time between work and posting on this forum! tongue.gif
Exhausted
QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 25 2011, 07:10 PM) *

I don't think you do as the closures are a WBC decision which you will obviously support 100%, so in that case, you are quite prepared to sit on your backside and criticise someone who does believe that the decisions are wrong.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.