Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Feeding Trolls
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 04:42 PM) *
Andy, as you realise, you are not forum manager, so I/we can reply to whoever/whenever we want to. I don't normally feed trolls but 'ya know what I was bored and it was entertaining, and I may well feed the panda again, but it is not to 'annoy' YOU

panda is clearly trying to disrupt the the allotment thread. While you and others might find it fun, there might be others who don't, so if you must play games like this would you please just create another thread?

For me, feeding trolls is akin to allowing noisy kids to 'run amok' in a pub when you are trying to have a conversation with a friend.
Darren
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 06:23 PM) *
panda is clearly trying to disrupt the the allotment thread. While you and others might find it fun, there might be others who don't, so if you must play games like this would you please just create another thread?

For me, feeding trolls is akin to allowing noisy kids to 'run amok' in a pub when you are trying to have a conversation with a friend.

Andy, I am sorry but every thread is disrupted with user/danny/rg fight EVERY time, (obv they are not trolls) BUT we have to put up with it. Your the only one who keeps going on about it.

Why are you SO offended by me repling to the panda? Their be back to school next week so it wont matter. Lighten up rolleyes.gif

NWNREADER
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 08:42 PM) *
Andy, I am sorry but every thread is disrupted with user/danny/rg fight EVERY time, (obv they are not trolls) BUT we have to put up with it. Your the only one who keeps going on about it.

Why are you SO offended by me repling to the panda? Their be back to school next week so it wont matter. Lighten up rolleyes.gif

Forum Trolls are part of the scenery, universally despised by 'serious' contributors (if there is such a being). No problem with feeding them, as long as they are recognised for what they are. New contributors can be caught up with what they think is a genuine (if rather odd) perspective on The Meaning of Life and may benefit for a quiet word.

One man's Troll is another man's Trollope
Andy Capp

Because people might not say anything doesn't mean people are happy about it. Most subscribers don't post.

I wasn't so offended by you posting to panda, it was an open post I made. You chose to make it personal with your snotty reply directed at me. Using capitals is also rude on a forum when you are addressing someone.

Fair enough if you enjoy your troll baiting, but I wish people would find another forum for that where the subject matter is unimportant. Also, remarks like 'lighten up' are not only patronising, they are rude. I'd like to think the posts I made on trolls were respectful to the regular posters and up until you took it personally.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 23 2011, 08:53 PM) *
Forum Trolls are part of the scenery, universally despised by 'serious' contributors (if there is such a being).

They might be on forums that are as 'unmoderated' as this one.

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 23 2011, 08:53 PM) *
No problem with feeding them, as long as they are recognised for what they are. New contributors can be caught up with what they think is a genuine (if rather odd) perspective on The Meaning of Life and may benefit for a quiet word.

I would find it annoying if I was indulged in a conversation on a forum if it were interlaced with playground 'banter'.

The point is, I was trying to alert people that there was who I thought to be a troll, unfortunately someone took my posts personally. Not only that, they were quite sarcastic with me and I don't think I deserved it.
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 08:58 PM) *
Because people might not say anything doesn't mean people are happy about it. Most subscribers don't post.

I wasn't so offended by you posting to panda, it was an open post I made. You chose to make it personal with your snotty reply directed at me. Using capitals is also rude on a forum when you are addressing someone.

Fair enough if you enjoy your troll baiting, but I wish people would find another forum for that where the subject matter is unimportant. Also, remarks like 'lighten up' are not only patronising, they are rude. I'd like to think the posts I made on trolls were respectful to the regular posters and up until you took it personally.

Of course I am going to make it personal to you because you were the only peson making a complaint - publically. What else would you expect Andy? I don't get it.... unsure.gif

Saying lighten up is not rude or patronising, telling people to not reply to the troll because you didn't like it, IS rude. I never used capitals in all of my reply, only words I wished to emphasise.

You were tring to 'alert' people that Panda is a troll, fair enough but I think most people 'got' that. I may of been sarcastic but come on Andy you can handle a bit of sarcasm surely, you wouldn't post on the forum otherwise!

Andy Capp
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 09:20 PM) *
Of course I am going to make it personal to you because you were the only peson making a complaint - publically. What else would you expect Andy? I don't get it.... unsure.gif

For people to treat how they are treated, to be honest.

Saying lighten up is not rude or patronising,

In your opinion it might not, but to me it is.

telling people to not reply to the troll because you didn't like it, IS rude.

If that is what I did, I might agree, but as that isn't what I wrote in the post that you replied to, I don't.

I never used capitals in all of my reply, only words I wished to emphasise.

I didn't say your whole reply was capitalised, but the language in conjunction with the placement of the capitalised words were, at very least, antagonistic - and I think unnecessarily so.

You were tring to 'alert' people that Panda is a troll, fair enough but I think most people 'got' that. I may of been sarcastic but come on Andy you can handle a bit of sarcasm surely, you wouldn't post on the forum otherwise!

I was appealing to people to avoid the trap set by the troll. You decided to take it personally and I regret that.
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 09:34 PM) *
For people to treat how they are treated, to be honest.

In your opinion it might not, but to me it is.

If that is what I did, I might agree, but as that isn't what I wrote in the post that you replied to, I don't.

I didn't say your whole reply was capitalised, but the language in conjunction with the placement of the capitalised words were were at very least, antagonistic - and I think unnecessarily so.

I was appealing to people to avoid the trap set by the troll. You decided to take it personally and I regret that.

Oh geez, I seriously can not continue with a debate about this, it is ridiculous. I could answer all your points above with a reply but it is seriously not worth it.

End of the day, I/others may feed the trolls, you don't like it - fair enough.

FWIW I am glad you outed the troll for people who may not of known smile.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 09:40 PM) *
Oh geez, I seriously can not continue with a debate about this, it is ridiculous. I could answer all your points above with a reply but it is seriously not worth it.

You don't think it matters that you might have been offensive?
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 09:42 PM) *

Andy if you seriously think I am being offensive than you are deluded.
Iommi
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 09:42 PM) *

A bit to much of the pink stuff I suspect! tongue.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 09:43 PM) *
Andy if you seriously think I am being offensive than you are deluded.

I'm sad you think it that way.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 08:58 PM) *
Most subscribers don't post.

It was the trolling that kept me away, and I expect it turns almost everyone else away too - there's barely a score of us who contribute regularly, and if you take out of that number the trolls and sock puppets it's likely single figures. I totally understand the sense in a light administrative hand, but I feel the forum would be more constructive and more enjoyable if the worst excesses were discouraged. Trip trap.
Roost
For what it's worth I'm with the person whoever adores pink grape juice on this one.

I think Andy's response and continuation (or attempt to) of what is clearly a disagreement and not a debate actually suggests certain Troll-like tendencies....

Best advice anyone ever gave me was:-

"Don't sweat the small stuff........

.....everything is small stuff"
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Iommi @ Feb 23 2011, 09:43 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 09:44 PM) *
I'm sad you think it that way.

Oh come on Andy, I just responded to your posts, stop being so melodramitc
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 23 2011, 10:00 PM) *
It was the trolling that kept me away, and I expect it turns almost everyone else away too - there's barely a score of us who contribute regularly, and if you take out of that number the trolls and sock puppets it's likely single figures. I totally understand the sense in a light administrative hand, but I feel the forum would be more constructive and more enjoyable if the worst excesses were discouraged. Trip trap.

The trolling kept you away but never user/danny/Rg....?!?! laugh.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Roost @ Feb 23 2011, 10:03 PM) *
For what it's worth I'm with the person whoever adores pink grape juice on this one. I think Andy's response and continuation (or attempt to) of what is clearly a disagreement and not a debate actually suggests certain Troll-like tendencies.... Best advice anyone ever gave me was:- "Don't sweat the small stuff........ .....everything is small stuff"

That is your right to your opinion, but I have a right to reply to what I saw as someone having a pop at me. Especially when they lack humility and try to exaggerate what I have said and done. At least I took the 'squabble' to another thread - started by myself - so as to avoid spoiling the other thread further.

I would like to reiterate though, my main concern was that I saw panda as someone who was trying to sabotage the thread, the topic of which is very controversial.
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 10:12 PM) *
That is your right to your opinion, but I have a right to reply to what I saw as someone having a pop at me. Especially when they lack humility and try to exaggerate what I have said and done. At least I took the 'squabble' to another thread - started by myself - so as to avoid spoiling the other thread further.

I would like to reiterate though, my main concern was that I saw panda as someone who was trying to sabotage the thread, the topic of which is very controversial.

Actually, I replied to YOU having a pop at me/other users to begin with... dry.gif

Please show me where I have exaggerated what you have said...?

You took the squabble to another thread, all though YOU started it on a different thread? I don't get it, was I suppose to not reply on that thread to you but another one?

And if the allotment thread is the most controversial thread on here then you are seriously missing something!!
GMR
QUOTE (Iommi @ Feb 23 2011, 09:43 PM) *

I thought you were morphing yourself into another? laugh.gif
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (GMR @ Feb 23 2011, 10:28 PM) *
I thought you were morphing yourself into another? laugh.gif

Bit below the belt...?
user23
Accusing someone of being a "troll" and someone else of "feeding trolls" seems a bit immature to me.

Panda's comments are short and inoffensive. Compared to some who write long rambling essays to further their own interests he or she are hardly the most annoying poster on this forum.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 23 2011, 10:32 PM) *
Accusing someone of being a "troll" and someone else of "feeding trolls" seems to be a bit immature to me.

I so agree. Andy must be a troll. Well spotted User, you saved us all. Hurrah!
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 10:17 PM) *
Actually, I replied to YOU having a pop at me/other users to begin with... dry.gif

It was polite, yours wasn't.

Please show me where I have exaggerated what you have said...?

"Why are you SO offended by me repling to the panda?"

I'm not offended by you replying to panda, I am offended by the tone of the post you posted about me.

"telling people to not reply to the troll because you didn't like it"

No, that wasn't it. I wanted to warn people that people were apparently falling for panda's trolling. I even terminated the post with it being my last word, yet you wanted to continue it with you subsequent post.

"And if the allotment thread is the most controversial thread on here then you are seriously missing something!!

I never said it was 'the most controversial'. I said it was controversial.

You took the squabble to another thread, all though YOU started it on a different thread? I don't get it, was I suppose to not reply on that thread to you but another one?

That was the idea, so as to avoid further ruining the original thread.

And if the allotment thread is the most controversial thread on here then you are seriously missing something!!

I didn't say that, although it could be.
Andy Capp
Accusing someone of being a "troll" and someone else of "feeding trolls" seems a bit immature to me.

Why is that?

Panda's comments are short and inoffensive. Compared to some who write long rambling essays to further their own interests he or she are hardly the most annoying poster on this forum.

Who writes long and rambling essays to further their own interests, and is it a problem if the content is legitimate.
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 10:46 PM) *
It was polite, yours wasn't.

"Why are you SO offended by me repling to the panda?"

I'm not offended by you replying to panda, I am offended by the tone of the post you posted about me.

"telling people to not reply to the troll because you didn't like it"

No, that wasn't it. I wanted to warn people that people were apparently falling for panda's trolling. I even terminated the post with it being my last word, yet you wanted to continue it with you subsequent post.

"And if the allotment thread is the most controversial thread on here then you are seriously missing something!!

I never said it was 'the most controversial'. I said it was controversial.

That was the idea, so as to avoid further ruining the original thread.

I didn't say that, although it could be.

Andy, this is easy for me...I am out. I can not get into a debate over something SO bloody silly. As a grown man, you have taken so much of this too seriously.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 10:58 PM) *
Andy, this is easy for me...I am out. I can not get into a debate over something SO bloody silly. As a grown man, you have taken so much of this too seriously.

And you haven't? I plead the 'it takes two' idiom.
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 11:02 PM) *
And you haven't?

No! I haven't! I find the whole thing amusing, actually find it kinda odd, how 'serious' you are about me replying to someone, who 'most' of us knew was a troll, but I was just winding him up....... bit like rg/user/dannyboy do daily? Anyway, i thought I was 'out' - why am I replying?, i should be in bed getting MUCH needed beauty sleep, lol...!?!?
Rosewinelover
Don't you think you should edit your post properly, instead of just editing? It is mis-leading....
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 11:05 PM) *
No! I haven't!

I respectfully diagree.

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 11:05 PM) *
I find the whole thing amusing, actually find it kinda odd, how 'serious' you are about me replying to someone

Again you distort the truth. I take serious how you replied to me, not how you replied to someone else.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 11:09 PM) *
Don't you think you should edit your post properly, instead of just editing?

Yes. I wish I did.
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 11:10 PM) *
I respectfully diagree.

Again you distort the truth. I take serious how you replied to me, not how you replied to someone else.

Seriously? Okay, well if you are really offended by how I answered a post to you, I am sorry, maybe I wil stay away from debates with you if it upsets you that much, how odd?.....maybe a bit of 'you can say it' but can't handle anything wrote back to you without the babyish manner of 'your picking at me' stuff..... dry.gif Really surprised with your response because your the one person on here who never acts all 'immature', 'offended' etc. Really surprised by your sudden defense on this? unsure.gif
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 11:15 PM) *
Yes. I wish I did.

Well, you should add''edit'' instead of changing what you wrote as it is mis-leading to others to what I am replying to, and what you have wrote dry.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 11:17 PM) *
Seriously? Okay, well if you are really offended by how I answered a post to you, I am sorry, maybe I wil stay away from debates with you if it upsets you that much, how odd?.....maybe a bit of 'you can say it' but can't handle anything wrote back to you without the babyish manner of 'your picking at me' stuff..... dry.gif Really surprised with your response because your the one person on here who never acts all 'immature', 'offended' etc. Really surprised by your sudden defense on this? unsure.gif

You have accused me of a number of things including my babyish manner, my delusion, etc. I presume you feel it OK to do this, while you deny me the right to reply? I'm happy to debate, but it seems I mustn't contradict you. I think you continue to be quite rude to me.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 11:18 PM) *
Well, you should add''edit'' instead of changing what you wrote as it is mis-leading to others to what I am replying to, and what you have wrote dry.gif

I know I should. I'm sorry.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 11:25 PM) *
I know I should. I'm sorry.

But you did say you were finished for today. If you were to quote though, then it wouldn't be a problem.
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 11:24 PM) *
You have accused me of a number of things including my babyish manner, my delusion, etc. I presume you feel it OK to do this , while you deny me the right to reply? I'm happy to debate, but it seems I mustn't contradict you. I think you continue to be quite rude to me.

That is all you say, I am rude to you etc, yes I have accused you of things I have noticed...So what? IMO I feel it is true, because that is all you are displaying in the 'now and previous troll thread'....What do you want me to say Andy? That I agree with you, you are so right, blah blah lah.....???No, exactly. For god sake, if you express an opinion on a thread, expect a bloody reply. dry.gif I do not agree, yes I think you are babyish, a bit deluded...etc, come off it Andy, this is only the internet, why get so defensive? If you can not handle the debate don't bother starting a thread.
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 11:28 PM) *
But you did say you were finished for today. If you were to quote though, then it wouldn't be a problem.

I was finished!! Then you kept debating back!! I am female, we do not back down or give up!! tongue.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 11:29 PM) *
That is all you say, I am rude to you etc, yes I have accused you of things I have noticed...So what? IMO I feel it is true, because that is all you are displaying in the 'now and previous troll thread'....What do you want me to say Andy? That I agree with you, you are so right, blah blah lah.....???No, exactly. For god sake, if you express an opinion on a thread, expect a bloody reply. dry.gif I do not agree, yes I think you are babyish, a bit deluded...etc, come off it Andy, this is only the internet, why get so defensive? If you can not handle the debate don't bother starting a thread.

Who said I can't handle it. This is easy. I just think you are being hypocritical.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 11:30 PM) *
I was finished!! Then you kept debating back!! I am female, we do not back down or give up!! tongue.gif

Perhaps you are not the only one? wink.gif
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 11:33 PM) *
Who said I can't handle it. This is easy. I just think you are being hypocritical.

'This' is easy...what is 'easy' about this? Oh....I get it....Say no more angry.gif
Biker1
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 24 2011, 01:30 AM) *
I am female, we do not back down or give up!! tongue.gif

You'd think he'd have learned that by now!!

Must be a youngster. wink.gif
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2011, 11:34 PM) *
Perhaps you are not the only one? wink.gif

Oh so your female....!?!?!
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 11:36 PM) *
Oh so your female....!?!?!

laugh.gif
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 23 2011, 11:35 PM) *
You'd think he'd have learned that by now!!

Must be a youngster. wink.gif

Panda in disguise?
Biker1
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 24 2011, 12:37 AM) *
Panda in disguise?

laugh.gif
massifheed
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 23 2011, 11:09 PM) *
Don't you think you should edit your post properly, instead of just editing? It is mis-leading....

If you are going to criticise the format of other peoples posts then please start checking your own posts for spelling errors. rolleyes.gif

Either that, or lay off how people post.
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (massifheed @ Feb 24 2011, 09:25 AM) *
If you are going to criticise the format of other peoples posts then please start checking your own posts for spelling errors. rolleyes.gif

Either that, or lay off how people post.

You actually have no idea to what my post was referring to, so maybe mind your own business in future dry.gif
massifheed
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Feb 24 2011, 09:36 AM) *
...so maybe mind your own business in future dry.gif

If you post in public forum, it's everyone's business. Are you new to this? rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.