Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Analogue TV Switch off date
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Newbury News
gel
See details here
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switc...dian/hannington

user23
Wish they'd do it now so we can get HD on Freeview.
Biker1
QUOTE (gel @ Feb 17 2011, 10:02 PM) *

Who on earth is still watching on analogue when digital has been around for about 8 years?
Ron
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 18 2011, 08:43 AM) *
Who on earth is still watching on analogue when digital has been around for about 8 years?

Me. Because on occasions the digital signal is US.
Biker1
QUOTE (Ron @ Feb 18 2011, 11:36 AM) *
Me. Because on occasions the digital signal is US.

The digital signal is fine - it is your end of the system you need to check.

See many of the posts here
Andy Capp
He probably means digital reception.

I used to have a great picture and sound with analogue, but since digital we've to put up with compression artefacts on a number of channels.
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 18 2011, 11:24 AM) *
He probably means digital reception.

So did I

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 18 2011, 11:24 AM) *
I used to have a great picture and sound with analogue, but since digital we've to put up with compression artefacts on a number of channels.

Then you have a problem with your system.
If your analogue reception is good then your digital should be also.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 18 2011, 10:41 AM) *

I don't think it is the system. Digital compression on an SD broadcast can be quite high and gives a comparatively poor picture quality, particularly on programs like football I've noticed, and when viewed on a big screen.
dannyboy
Anyone have the misfortune to see the Grammy Awards? Picture was pixelated to **** most of the time.
gel
But Newbury is flagged as one of several blackspots:

http://www.thecoast106.com/newscentre/regi...ng-our-way-2206
Andy Capp
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 18 2011, 01:10 PM) *
Anyone have the misfortune to see the Grammy Awards? Picture was pixelated to **** most of the time.

That is what I mean. Digital doesn't grantee that the transmission will be of good quality. Most SD transmissions I have seen have been quite poor picture quality compared to a good analogue signal.
Strafin
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 18 2011, 01:10 PM) *

Flat TV's have terribly pixely screens anyway - isn't that why they invented HD in the first place?
NWNREADER
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 18 2011, 01:21 PM) *
That is what I mean. Digital doesn't grantee that the transmission will be of good quality. Most SD transmissions I have seen have been quite poor picture quality compared to a good analogue signal.

I have noticed lately it is taking longer for the dot to disappear when I turn my television off after the National Anthem.
user23
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 18 2011, 10:41 AM) *
So did I

No he's right. Digital can look pixelated compared to analogue particularly when there's lots of small objects on the screen, like a football match.
NWNREADER
QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 19 2011, 11:38 AM) *
No he's right. Digital can look pixelated compared to analogue particularly when there's lots of small objects on the screen, like a football match.

What has a pixi to do with television? Is it something to do with Noddy and Big Ears?
Proper Television

JeffG
How old-fashioned! You can get colour TV now, you know.
NWNREADER
QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 19 2011, 03:45 PM) *
How old-fashioned! You can get colour TV now, you know.

Indeed - Mine has a nice brown case:

My Television
sherwod
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 19 2011, 04:10 PM) *
Indeed - Mine has a nice brown case:

My Television

A brown Television ,It must be made of Bakelite.
sherwod
QUOTE (sherwod @ Feb 19 2011, 07:45 PM) *
A brown Television ,It must be made of Bakelite.

Another thing on Digital reseption ,I get a lot of Stutter and Stall ,(Nothing to do with Norman Collier)
sherwod
QUOTE (sherwod @ Feb 19 2011, 07:47 PM) *
Another thing on Digital reseption ,I get a lot of Stutter and Stall ,(Nothing to do with Norman Collier)

Sorry (theres a C in Reception) I mean StStStStStutter and StStStStall.
NWNREADER
QUOTE (sherwod @ Feb 19 2011, 07:47 PM) *

he's on at The Palladium tomorrow night!!!
Biker1
Well my digital TV reception is absolutely fine.

I did have problems at first but found these to be caused by issues with my set up.

All I am saying is - if you are having problems it is more than likely that it is your household set up that is at fault (usually the aerial or aerial leads / connectors).

Some people (including me) live in weaker spots for reception but this can usually be cured by installing a stronger aerial, possibly with signal booster.

Just trying to help.
NWNREADER
I'm no expert, just lay knowledge, but I gather the upside of digital is it can be a much better picture and sound. However the downside is - unlike analogue - it needs a better and more consistent signal. Someone with an adequate analogue signal will not notice they do not have top quality reception as the system makes do. However the digital signal will instantly show the weakness in Pixie Lotted, jerky picture and rotten sound.

It is rarely the TV set faulty. A decent aerial installer will have all the current mapping and will be able to sort the problem (or tell you it is as good as it can be).

Other options are to move or get cable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.