> Robberies and affrey in Newbury
HeatherW
post Aug 23 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #121

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 988

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 23 2010, 07:29 PM) *
I have never said I was an authority on asubject just what my job was!!

Someone on here has stated they work for the council I never see them being questioned.

And another thing Heather if you had read posts you would realise I am a she not a he. Now that is something I am an expert on!!

I apologise for getting your sex wrong, but it is not relevant to this debate. What is relevant is somebody using you as an authority figure to try to criticise somebody else. I am sure you must be horrified with this? I personally would not like to be used to criticise another.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 23 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #122

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Aug 23 2010, 07:37 PM) *
If you post as you and not your job then how do people know what you do? Obviously it has been mentioned to impress. It has impressed the previous poster.

People question your job, and rightly so, because, I presume, you told people what you do. And you must admit that when people say they belong to one of the emergency services people do sit up and take notice. As they should. Is it then wrong to ask for verification?

That is a fair point, nevertheless, when others on here use your authority position to back them up then people have a right to question that authority. Surely you must agree with this? Being a police officer and all that.

That is true, but how do we know you have the authority to speak as such?

I didnt directly say what I did, someone sometime ago made a comment that all coppers were idiots which I took offence to and said something along the lines of "i take offence to that" the regulars worked it out and banned it about and still do. However I am not ashamed of my profession so why should I be bothered by people knowing. How exactly do you think I should prove it on here i wonder?

If OTHERS want to use my job to back THEM up what does that have to do with me and why should I be questioned about what THEY have said.

I'm not sure I understand what your last question is refering to? Am i allowed to speak as a police officer? Like I said I dont I speak as me. However I don't give legal advice and never would unless you want to visit me at the station and talk in a formal capacity.
As for police officers commenting on forums....they have their own site should you wish to pay it a visit.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 23 2010, 06:49 PM
Post #123

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Aug 23 2010, 07:42 PM) *
I apologise for getting your sex wrong, but it is not relevant to this debate. What is relevant is somebody using you as an authority figure to try to criticise somebody else. I am sure you must be horrified with this? I personally would not like to be used to criticise another.

Criticise or express their own opinion???

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Aug 23 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #124

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 23 2010, 07:49 PM) *
Criticise or express their own opinion???

Whichever does not make any difference, you were used as somebody who was more in the know, and that authority was then used to browbeat another.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 23 2010, 07:03 PM
Post #125

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Aug 23 2010, 07:58 PM) *
Whichever does not make any difference, you were used as somebody who was more in the know, and that authority was then used to browbeat another.

I dont think they were using my authority as on a forum like this I have none. They have simply choosen to believe me.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Aug 23 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #126

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 23 2010, 08:03 PM) *
I dont think they were using my authority as on a forum like this I have none. They have simply choosen to believe me.

And were they right to believe you? Answering in the positive swings from your opinion to your authority.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 23 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #127

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Aug 23 2010, 08:11 PM) *
And were they right to believe you? Answering in the positive swings from your opinion to your authority.

What?

My job has come out and someone has choosen to believe it for themselves so why are you having a go at me. If you don't then so be it i'm not bothered either way.

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Aug 23 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #128

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 23 2010, 08:16 PM) *
What?

My job has come out and someone has choosen to believe it for themselves so why are you having a go at me. If you don't then so be it i'm not bothered either way.

Just a quick little comment here.... a VERY close relative was a Police Officer and I have VERY good friends who are still in the Police as, PC's, DI's DC's PCSO's etc and not only do I recognise certain turns of phrase that mean I believe Ossy1 IS a Police Officer but I also get fed up with the same people harping on and on along the same lines of whinging and "moaning"!

As has already been stated on here, this is a forum where everyone is allowed (to a reasonable extent) to voice their opinions and this leads to a difference of opinion which sometimes makes for amusing reading. GMR and I go back quite some way and we have had many differences of opinion which has led to lively debate. I don't think that we have ever truely been offended by each others comments (GMR please tell me if I am wrong?). I am allowed to whinge about others just as they are allowed to whinge about me. But surely by the same reasoning I am allowed to stick up for people who I constantly see being criticised. Ossy1 and Bill have been unfairly treated on here in the past and so I have "raised my head above the parapit" to defend them as is my right. If a person finds this offensive then they at least have a choice.

Yes I have and DO challenge authority and will continue to do so as is my right but that does not make me an autocrat just someone who will stick up for herself and those she sees as unfairly treated.

Sorry if people are offended, it is not my intention. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 23 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #129

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 23 2010, 01:19 AM) *
No - but you wouldn't want to be behind bars just because someone else said you'd been bad, would you?
To convict someone you need irrefutable evidence.

Beyond all resonable doubt is the phrase you are looking for. If the burden of proof was the same as in civil cases then i suspect more people would be locked up as it would be easier to convict people.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 23 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #130

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Chesapeake @ Aug 23 2010, 10:03 PM) *
Just a quick little comment here.... a VERY close relative was a Police Officer and I have VERY good friends who are still in the Police as, PC's, DI's DC's PCSO's etc and not only do I recognise certain turns of phrase that mean I believe Ossy1 IS a Police Officer but I also get fed up with the same people harping on and on along the same lines of whinging and "moaning"!

As has already been stated on here, this is a forum where everyone is allowed (to a reasonable extent) to voice their opinions and this leads to a difference of opinion which sometimes makes for amusing reading. GMR and I go back quite some way and we have had many differences of opinion which has led to lively debate. I don't think that we have ever truely been offended by each others comments (GMR please tell me if I am wrong?). I am allowed to whinge about others just as they are allowed to whinge about me. But surely by the same reasoning I am allowed to stick up for people who I constantly see being criticised. Ossy1 and Bill have been unfairly treated on here in the past and so I have "raised my head above the parapit" to defend them as is my right. If a person finds this offensive then they at least have a choice.

Yes I have and DO challenge authority and will continue to do so as is my right but that does not make me an autocrat just someone who will stick up for herself and those she sees as unfairly treated.

Sorry if people are offended, it is not my intention. unsure.gif

I am never offended, and I do enjoy the chase. However, this forum is a very polite forum compared to some I've been on.

As for whether YOU are allowed to whinge, of course you are. In fact you are allowed to whinge as much as I do.... and if this was a two horse race you'd be slightly in the lead laugh.gif wink.gif

PS I just hope you've got a sense of humour with that whinging?

As for HeatherW and On the Edge, I can understand their point of view and in some cases agree with them. Their comments show what this forum is all about; debate, question, observe... with a ssprinkle of powered humour.

I would like to make an observation; Ossy's replies to HeatherW showed that she was rattled; which is suprising coming from a hard nosed police officer. unless she left her thick skin at the door of this forum.... wink.gif

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 23 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #131

Advanced Member

shock horror police officers have feelings.

I doubt many people would take continual personal attacks on them without getting a bit p*****d off occasionally.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 23 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #132

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 23 2010, 10:50 PM) *

Is that in the job description or did you add that later when you had joined?

I doubt many people would take continual personal attacks on them without getting a bit p*****d off occasionally.

But well paid for it..... and of course a masochist quality. But I am sure you are a fine and upstanding member of the constabulary who controls that wild streak that comes out on here occasionally wink.gif .

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 23 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #133

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 23 2010, 11:01 PM) *
Is that in the job description or did you add that later when you had joined?

But well paid for it..... and of course a masochist quality. But I am sure you are a fine and upstanding member of the constabulary who controls that wild streak that comes out on here occasionally wink.gif .

On the street people just rant at the uniform on here your having a go at me. There in lays the difference.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 23 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #134

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 23 2010, 11:10 PM) *
On the street people just rant at the uniform on here your having a go at me. There in lays the difference.

Notwithstanding you're not getting paid for the abuse on here! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 24 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #135

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 23 2010, 11:10 PM) *

To be honest you should have kept your mouth shut. But saying that whether a police officer or not we all get scrutinised on forums. Just look at the posts against me. It is part and parcel of forum life. If I didn't like it I would have kept my mouth shut and hid in a corner.

To be honest the posts against you are not abusive or nasty; if you had been on some really rough forums then you'd know what forum abuse was. This forum is like a kids kindergarten picnic. Be grateful.

We are all here for different reasons; personally I am glad you are on here giving us your side of things, whether we agree with them or not.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 24 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #136

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 23 2010, 11:37 PM) *
Notwithstanding you're not getting paid for the abuse on here! tongue.gif

Exactly, and if I was then I'd get a fortune laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 24 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #137

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 23 2010, 10:50 PM) *

Suspect most of us appreciate that in reality - but appreciate it can hurt. However, might be worth considering that most of the 'attacks' here are really wanting more Police. So ossy1 if Police was a commercial product; it would be much in demand and very expensive!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 24 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #138

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 24 2010, 07:58 PM) *
Suspect most of us appreciate that in reality - but appreciate it can hurt. However, might be worth considering that most of the 'attacks' here are really wanting more Police. So ossy1 if Police was a commercial product; it would be much in demand and very expensive!

True; but with 'in demand' & 'expensive' should come (i.e. in the commercial sense) efficient and achievable. Alas; they are in the commercial sense laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 25 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #139

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14346

I don't think I want to go and eat at "Buger King"... ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 25 2010, 08:50 PM
Post #140

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Spoilsport - I thought that might make it to the printed edition smile.gif

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 08:32 PM