IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marks & Spencer opening at Retail Park, ...whoopee!
Ozzy
post Aug 3 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #81

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 649

I must agree about the Retail Car Park.

It's awful even now. Whoever designed it should be shot.

It's too small, too tight, and badly laid out. It can only get worse with the added shoppers traffic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy
post Aug 3 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #82

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Ozzy @ Aug 3 2010, 02:01 PM) *
I must agree about the Retail Car Park.

It's awful even now. Whoever designed it should be shot.

It's too small, too tight, and badly laid out. It can only get worse with the added shoppers traffic.

True, especially the exit where the had a chance to make it two laned when recently revamping but only did so on the very last part onto the roundabout!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Aug 3 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #83

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Don't really understand why shops are migrating to the retail park. I only go there for diy. When Next was in Northbrook Street I used to pop in during lunch and often buy something, I haven't been since it moved.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Aug 3 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #84

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Aug 3 2010, 05:01 PM) *
Don't really understand why shops are migrating to the retail park. I only go there for diy. When Next was in Northbrook Street I used to pop in during lunch and often buy something, I haven't been since it moved.

It is a shame. I do have a car but it will kill of our town. Unless the new shopping centre will make a difference?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 3 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #85

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Don't really understand why shops are migrating to the retail park.

Probably because the convenience of nearby, free, parking is appealing to many people.

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Aug 4 2010, 05:49 AM
Post #86

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312

I agree that stores in general moving to the retail park is bad for the town centre and not entirely convenient if you want to make just one trip- and don't even get me started on the dire parking. Who on earth designed that car park and its 'flow'? - a bunch of monkeys with a piece of paper and pencil could have done better.

Not sure M&S are exactly migrating to the retail park though Jayjay - I'm sure theirs is a 'damage limitation' exercise because of the effects of losing their car park during the Parkway works because they have been losing food sales. They are definitely not moving out of the town centre and I think are increasing the size of their present store.

It's interesting to see though how the 'feel' of the retail park is becoming more fashion-orientated... we'll soon have Next, New Look, Peacocks, M&S, Matalan, Dorothy Perkins, Burtons, Wallis & Miss Selfridge - all out of town.

--------------------
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 4 2010, 07:53 AM
Post #87

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I wonder if some shops want better space that is available in the retail park. Also, perhaps some are trying to attract potential custom from Tesco shoppers.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 4 2010, 08:04 AM
Post #88

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 4 2010, 08:53 AM) *
I wonder if some shops want better space that is available in the retail park. Also, perhaps some are trying to attract potential custom from Tesco shoppers.

Both of what you say is true but an important issue for the big stores now is to have "brand awareness" and putting their logos in every shopping arena to challenge the opposition is a priority.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Ben01635
post Aug 4 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #89

Member No.: 270

Hi all,

Been following this thread with interest, what puzzles me is why these big stores (M&S, Primark etc) are all interested in moving out of town. It says to me that there is a big lack of confidence in the Parkway project, if the retailers had the same enthusiasm as WBC or NTC surely they would be securing units in the new development? As I understand it at the moment Debenhams are the only confirmed retailer to move into Parkway and that was due to a big pay off.

I sense a very expensive flop for the Parkway project!?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 4 2010, 12:14 PM
Post #90

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Ben01635 @ Aug 4 2010, 12:53 PM) *
Hi all,

Been following this thread with interest, what puzzles me is why these big stores (M&S, Primark etc) are all interested in moving out of town. It says to me that there is a big lack of confidence in the Parkway project, if the retailers had the same enthusiasm as WBC or NTC surely they would be securing units in the new development? As I understand it at the moment Debenhams are the only confirmed retailer to move into Parkway and that was due to a big pay off.

I sense a very expensive flop for the Parkway project!?

M&S are not moving out of their present site in Northbrook street. They are opening an additional food outlet at the retail park.
I believe H&M have also taken a site in Parkway but I am not aware of anyone else at this time.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Ozzy
post Aug 4 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #91

Advanced Member

Member No.: 649

Retail parks are primarily aimed at households owning a car. Land on the outskirts of towns is usually more affordable and larger in size, making it easier for development and delivery. A small shop in the highstreet at mega rent compared to a store on the outskirts at a smaller rent is a no braniner.

And of course the attraction of free parking and proximity to major roads makes it a better option for some people.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Aug 6 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #92

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

We also must remember that there is plenty of parking, which is a huge attraction.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 01:48 AM