post Jul 21 2010, 07:54 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 966

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 21 2010, 08:48 AM) *
You could always google the name. ohmy.gif
Politics not your strong point then?

Oh I do apologise, I should of known you meant someone in the public eye.... rolleyes.gif Will go have a look, i'm sure i am going to be thrilled - not.

Are politics my strong point? Obviously not.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
englishndproud
post Jul 21 2010, 07:56 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 965

QUOTE (Irish John @ Jul 20 2010, 04:55 PM) *
Why worry what a shop assistant thinks? If they were put on this earth to use higher brain functions they wouldn't be serving groceries now would they? Or try a trick I learned in Korea; never make eye contact with the beggars...

if you were using your higher brain functions you probably shouldn’t have wrote this, you don’t know why someone is working as a shop assistant maybe they are a single parent who needs the money and flexible hours or maybe they are working there as a job is better than no job. lots of my friends work in shops and not one of them is thick as you implied, i would like to see how you would get on without these people helping you and serving you. what would you rather they do sit on the streets living of our taxes and drinking cheap cider, at least it would give you something else to moan about, well im off now to go and be server at the shop by someone who is not using their higher brain functions, i will let them know your views but i guess they will not understand what i am saying wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 21 2010, 07:59 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

Why worry what a shop assistant thinks? If they were put on this earth to use higher brain functions they wouldn't be serving groceries now would they? Or try a trick I learned in Korea; never make eye contact with the beggars...

A pretty miserable remark I think. It sort of gives an indication of the limits of your brain functions.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Brad
post Aug 23 2010, 09:18 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 954

Have you seen pictures of the plastic island? A huge island made of plastic bags and plastic bottles, where the oceans currents meet, so fair play to them for tutting at you! Then again I never take my own bags, so I can't really talk and deserve to be tutted at.

Maybe if this island gets big enough we can send all the chav's and workshy spongers there?

+Quote Post
Brad
post Aug 23 2010, 09:23 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 954

This kind of reply makes me sick, My Ex works in Mcdonalds she is far from thick its not easy getting a job at the moment! I rememebr once I was waiting for her to finish ( and getting a free meal biggrin.gif ) and a custoemr started ranting and raving at a young lad on the counter for some reason, called every1 that worked there dumb and proceded to verbally abuse them. I was very close to taking the guy outside.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 23 2010, 09:27 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Brad @ Aug 23 2010, 10:23 AM) *
This kind of reply makes me sick, My Ex works in Mcdonalds she is far from thick its not easy getting a job at the moment! I rememebr once I was waiting for her to finish ( and getting a free meal biggrin.gif ) and a custoemr started ranting and raving at a young lad on the counter for some reason, called every1 that worked there dumb and proceded to verbally abuse them. I was very close to taking the guy outside.

'taking the guy outside' - what are you referring to? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 23 2010, 10:22 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Brad @ Aug 23 2010, 10:18 AM) *
Then again I never take my own bags

Why not?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 23 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Brad @ Aug 23 2010, 10:23 AM) *

Don't worry - only the inadequate could come to a conclusion like that. McDonalds is probably one of the most successful businesses in the World right now and it didn't get like without its staff. If the post is serious, then you can rest assured that at least some of the people who have served him will have paid him back without his knowledge. For one thing, he'll need to be very careful where he eats and what he drives....

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 23 2010, 09:31 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 23 2010, 09:13 PM) *
For one thing, he'll need to be very careful where he eats and what he drives....

Many years ago I was shown a list of people you really don't want to upset. Amongst them were...

Your chef/cook
Your hairdresser
Your car mechanic
Your binmen, sorry, recycling technician.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 24 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 23 2010, 11:22 AM) *
Why not?

Just wondered how you use your own bags on the self service checkout?
Never seems to work for me so I end up using a new one.

"Unexpected item in the bagging area" - yes my own bag you stupid machine! angry.gif

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Aug 24 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 24 2010, 09:09 PM) *

"Unexpected item in the bagging area" - yes my own bag you stupid machine! angry.gif

Great 'aint it, we are now checking out and bagging our shopping - how long before these supermarkets find a way to make us fill the shelves as well, then they can do away with all off the staff tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 24 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Aug 24 2010, 09:15 PM) *
Great 'aint it, we are now checking out and bagging our shopping - how long before these supermarkets find a way to make us fill the shelves as well, then they can do away with all off the staff tongue.gif

At least it will keep Irish John happy if that happens (Post 8) tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 24 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Never had a problem with that. At the start, when you click the button "Using own bags" it weighs them when you put them in the bagging area before you start scanning.

The whole system is pretty efficient when you get used to it, and a lot faster than queuing up when it's busy.

Of course, Waitrose has the best system where you use a hand-held scanner as you go round.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 24 2010, 09:47 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

just press the using own bags prompt on the touch screen

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 25 2010, 09:02 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 24 2010, 10:47 PM) *
just press the using own bags prompt on the touch screen

I thought I just said that. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 25 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Echo
Echo
Echo

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Newburymafia_*
post Aug 25 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #38

Guests

I had my fair share of rubbish jobs when I was at uni, and again when I was doing some post grad training before I started my job as a newspaper reporter.

There's one particular coffee shop in Newbury, with blue awnings, where some customers circa 2006 came within a hair's width of a very serious, very vitriolic and very public telling off.

Fortunately for them, I quit before losing all restraint.

I'd love to go and have a day back there now.

Moral of the story is, be very careful the next time you find yourself being an arrogant, rude, obnoxious, impatient pedant in a shop, because you never really know how close you are to a slap.

+Quote Post
Guest_Newbury Expat_*
post Aug 25 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #39

Guests

QUOTE (Newburymafia @ Aug 25 2010, 09:18 AM) *
I had my fair share of rubbish jobs when I was at uni, and again when I was doing some post grad training before I started my job as a newspaper reporter.

There's one particular coffee shop in Newbury, with blue awnings, where some customers circa 2006 came within a hair's width of a very serious, very vitriolic and very public telling off.

Fortunately for them, I quit before losing all restraint.

I'd love to go and have a day back there now.

Moral of the story is, be very careful the next time you find yourself being an arrogant, rude, obnoxious, impatient pedant in a shop, because you never really know how close you are to a slap.

Good advice!

I never understood why some people look down on shop staff, whatever their age. Most of us have been there and its more pleasant on both sides if you treat each other like human beings. A little bit of civility goes a long way!

This applies to each party though. When I worked the tills at Sainsbury's back in the day, I always made an effort to smile, be polite and have a chat as I was scanning (at a rapid rate mind you!) and it made it a much nicer day of graft. Some of my co-workers were miserable to the customers and didn't hide it. Small wonder they hated their days in the shop.

Outlook has a massive influence on whether you are going to have a good day or a bad day.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Aug 25 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

QUOTE (Newbury Expat @ Aug 25 2010, 05:51 PM) *
Good advice!

I never understood why some people look down on shop staff, whatever their age. Most of us have been there and its more pleasant on both sides if you treat each other like human beings. A little bit of civility goes a long way!

This applies to each party though. When I worked the tills at Sainsbury's back in the day, I always made an effort to smile, be polite and have a chat as I was scanning (at a rapid rate mind you!) and it made it a much nicer day of graft. Some of my co-workers were miserable to the customers and didn't hide it. Small wonder they hated their days in the shop.

Outlook has a massive influence on whether you are going to have a good day or a bad day.

Totally agree, if both the shop workers and customers treat each other with respect and as equals then the whole experience is so much better for all.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 07:25 AM