Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ideas to improve Newbury?
Darren
post Jun 15 2009, 09:23 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

Rip up the useless bricks and replace with a decent surface. Or at the very least sort out the loose ones and remove the ruts.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roost
post Jun 15 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

Fill in all the current holes and plans and concentrate on what Newbury was good at! Being a medium sized market town! Lets face it, they can't fill the shops that are already built so why the kochanski are they building new ones? I say it's the "Newbury (lack of) vision"!
Even since I've been living here, I feel that Newbury has lost so much in character. It's not a miniature Basingstoke or Reading (despite what some 'planners' would like to be) and instead of trying to be a carbon copy, those that we pay should concentrate on Newbury's actual strengths. But hey, what do I know? I only live here......!

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 15 2009, 06:19 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Don't want to perpetuate the bollards dispute here, but keep the bollards - they stop vehicles from knocking pedestrians down. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Richard Head
post Jun 15 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 69

More pedestrianisation, more variety in entertainment venues, more variety in shopping.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jun 17 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

1) Ensure that new buildings in the centre of town conform to the ideals set out in the vision ie. 'in keeping and in scale'.

2) Demolish at least one naff building a year - where naff is defined as 'out of keeping and out of scale' (eg Mill Reef House, Kennet Shopping, the Cinema, Boots, Iceland, etc etc).

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 17 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 15 2009, 07:19 PM) *
Don't want to perpetuate the bollards dispute here, but keep the bollards - they stop vehicles from knocking pedestrians down. rolleyes.gif

Before the bollards went in, I don't remember ever hearing of any pedestrian being hit by a vehicle that was not entitled to be there. I have heard of near misses with vehicles that are entitled to be there, vehicles like buses and taxis.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 17 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Sort out the prolonged parking in Newtown Road so that all the traffic is not obstructed and has to slow down or stop because of the narrowed road.

Wast of fuel / time with resulting additional greenhouse emissions??

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 17 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 17 2009, 06:43 PM) *
Before the bollards went in, I don't remember ever hearing of any pedestrian being hit by a vehicle that was not entitled to be there. I have heard of near misses with vehicles that are entitled to be there, vehicles like buses and taxis.

You're perpetuating the bollards dispute - try the correct thread!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 17 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 17 2009, 11:42 PM) *
You're perpetuating the bollards dispute - try the correct thread!

I made what I thought was a legitimate comment on your post. Indeed, I'd like to think that the subtext to my post was an anti buses and taxi point rather than, what was barely, an anti bollard post. That I think is your summation.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 18 2009, 07:20 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

There isn't much to do - once the Cinema is open & Parkway is completed Newbury will be perfect.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jun 18 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 18 2009, 08:20 PM) *
There isn't much to do - once the Cinema is open & Parkway is completed Newbury will be perfect.

So the 'urban village' between Market St and the station is unnecessary?

And the Broadway revamp?

And the Wharf revamp?

And the Victoria Park facelift?

And the b####y great 'pavillion' in the Park?

And the 1,500 houses on the racecourse?

And the hotel etc in Faraday Road?

And the 2,000 houses at Siege Cross/Sandleford/Shaw (pick your favourite)?

These are going to spoil 'perfect Newbury' - quick tell WBC they don't seem to have realised that perfection is that close!

+Quote Post
gloryforixseal
post Jun 19 2009, 06:30 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 143

very soon we will perform an UPDATE on Boards software to the latest ver of IPB invision power board
So now we are looking for nice ideas which will improve SOA and makes it the BEST sharing forum on the web.
Also if You know about some bugs or errors report them here so we can fix them when updating.
Thank ALL of You for Your time

--------------------
Here is a website that I designed for payday advance loans company.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jun 19 2009, 08:36 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (gloryforixseal @ Jun 19 2009, 07:30 AM) *
very soon we will perform an UPDATE on Boards software to the latest ver of IPB invision power board
So now we are looking for nice ideas which will improve SOA and makes it the BEST sharing forum on the web.
Also if You know about some bugs or errors report them here so we can fix them when updating.
Thank ALL of You for Your time

Eh??? blink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 19 2009, 09:22 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Darren @ Jun 19 2009, 09:36 AM) *
Eh??? blink.gif

I second that laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 19 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #35

Guests

gloryforixseal
View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts Today, 07:30 AM Post #32

Member No.: 143

Are you lost in cyber space my Candian friend? If so watch out for the virtual bollards.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 19 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jun 18 2009, 11:16 PM) *
So the 'urban village' between Market St and the station is unnecessary? This will never happen - a pipe dream.

And the Broadway revamp? I class this as finishing off the Northbrooks St / Market Place revamp

And the Wharf revamp? - This will never happen - another pipe dream

And the Victoria Park facelift? - Tarting up the park isn't New Build

And the b####y great 'pavillion' in the Park? - Even the lottery said NO.

And the 1,500 houses on the racecourse? - Housing isn't part of the 'public' part of the town

And the hotel etc in Faraday Road? - Wild developer speculation

And the 2,000 houses at Siege Cross/Sandleford/Shaw (pick your favourite)? - Housing isn't part of the 'public' part of the town

These are going to spoil 'perfect Newbury' - quick tell WBC they don't seem to have realised that perfection is that close!

+Quote Post
Guest_noobry_*
post Jun 19 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #37

Guests

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Jun 10 2009, 12:20 PM) *
Newbury is a market town so lets have a decent market and make it a feature, quality stalls selling quality produce.......not cheap tat! Thursday can be cheap tat day but why not on a Saturday have themes e.g. Farmer's markets, German Markets, Italian Markets etc etc, this sort of thing is extremely popular and will bring people in. I have lived in Newbury all my life and never use the normal market!

Amen to that! I get the feeling that the existing traders have a stranglehold on the market - the town council kowtows to them and they operate a closed shop. Some of the stalls are good. I buy fruit and veg. from Fishers, whose quality was a bid dodgy when I first moved here, but I started using them again a few months ago and their stuff is excellent. (I'm not connected with them, honest!)

As for most of the rest of the stalls - particularly the clothing stalls - it's tat. The council needs to look at what towns like Ludlow do with their market - up the quality and appearance - if they want to succeed. Meanwhile, I've seen better markets in 3rd world countries.

You're right about the Kennet Centre too - it's a disaster. Who is running the place these days?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jun 19 2009, 11:34 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

So the 'urban village' between Market St and the station is unnecessary? This will never happen - a pipe dream.

WBC are promising the plans in 2009/10 and to start building in 2010/11.

And the Broadway revamp? I class this as finishing off the Northbrooks St / Market Place revamp

And the Wharf revamp? - This will never happen - another pipe dream

Another WNC promise for the next year or three

And the Victoria Park facelift? - Tarting up the park isn't New Build

I didn't mention new build - just changes to the implied perfection that would exist when the cinema and Parkway are completed.

And the b####y great 'pavillion' in the Park? - Even the lottery said NO.

The lottery said no the the Park facelift - the pavillion was nothing to do with the facelift (owing to WBC's splitting of the park into a WBC part and an NTC part). Mind you WBC's inability to come up with a Wharf/Pavillion plan on their original timescale did blow NTC's chances of the lottery money.

And the hotel etc in Faraday Road? - Wild developer speculation

Just like Parkway

And the 1,500 houses on the racecourse? - Housing isn't part of the 'public' part of the town
And the 2,000 houses at Siege Cross/Sandleford/Shaw (pick your favourite)? - Housing isn't part of the 'public' part of the town

So increasing the population of Newbury by 25% will have no effect on the town centre, traffic will flow just as easily, parking will be just as easy to find - dream on.

+Quote Post
Mary Lou
post Jul 20 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 207

I am always surprised that Newbury has a fantastic "USP" that is never mentioned. The outdoor swimming pool. This could be returned to its Lido heyday with some investment. It needs decent changing rooms, nice loungers, a friendly seller of cold drinks/ices and some proper marketing. I'll bet half the people who live in Newbury don't even know that it's there.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 20 2009, 01:49 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Stocks in the Town Centre would be good with free ripe tomatoes to pelt the scum with.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th June 2024 - 02:15 PM