> Cyclist victimisation, Sick of being abused for trying to get to work
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 4 2016, 05:05 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (newres @ Sep 4 2016, 04:44 PM) *
You laugh at people getting exercise and enjoying themselves? I think that says more about you.

But, in any case, they aren't breaking any rules that I know of.

If I said the world was round you'd say it was flat. Tiresome.
I hope you get stuck behind a peleton crawling along. I like cyclists and cycling. I doubt you actually do. Nothing more than a wum mate. Take a look in the mirror. tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 4 2016, 08:39 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (newres @ Sep 4 2016, 03:23 PM) *
Which rule do you suppose he was referring to in this sentence?

"Many dress and behave like they are on the Tour de France on narrow country roads."

Let me help............

Highway Code.
Rule 66You should
Never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends.
Be considerate of other road users.
Rule 67 You should
Be aware of traffic coming up behind you.
Rule 68 You must not
Ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 4 2016, 08:48 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 4 2016, 09:39 PM) *
Let me help............

Highway Code.
Rule 66You should
Never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends.
Rule 67 You should
Rule 68 You must not

You won't get an answer to that... Anyway have you not read the newres code? Its a replacement to the highway code... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 4 2016, 08:53 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Sep 4 2016, 12:09 PM) *
Well Biker, that's you pwned! laugh.gif His erudition and blistering logic is simply too much, like an elemental force of nature sweeping all before it!

Yep, got me there.
My command of the English language is obviously far inferior to his and I stand, nay bow, admonished!
I hang my head in humble shame for that self demanding typo! sad.gif
Oh, by the way, back on subject, they have temporary traffic lights at the old railway bridge on Enborne Road at present.
Nearly hit a cyclist who had decided to ignore them and was coming the other way straight at me!!
Sorry newres, good cyclists are good. Bad ones are bad.
Even the bad ones don't deserve the abuse suffered by the op though............and she is a good one! smile.gif

+Quote Post
newres
post Sep 5 2016, 05:17 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 4 2016, 09:39 PM) *
Let me help............

Highway Code.
Rule 66You should
Rule 67 You should
Rule 68 You must not

You never mentioned riding more than two abreast or any of the other issues. Your main issue seemed to be their dress which betrays your prejudice.

+Quote Post
Claude
post Sep 5 2016, 12:28 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

As a cyclist I sympathise with the OP, but I'm fortunate I've not been subjected to similar kinds of abuse while enjoying my hobby.

I think everyone should be made to cycle so they can experience what it's like from the other side - I don't necessarily think it's the minority that set a bad example, just that some have no idea what it's like in the saddle. For example, when my OH overtakes cyclists I try and suggest it would be helpful to oncoming traffic if she indicated, and that it would make the cyclist feel safer if she gave them a bit more room but she fails to take it on board, and she is completely ambivalent to cyclists.

As an infrequent forum user I find the thread this thread has gone down quite sad and unwelcoming. Given the low number of posts and posters I'm amazed this forum still exists and am intrigued as to who funds it and why.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 5 2016, 01:42 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Claude @ Sep 5 2016, 01:28 PM) *
As a cyclist I sympathise with the OP, but I'm fortunate I've not been subjected to similar kinds of abuse while enjoying my hobby.

I think everyone should be made to cycle so they can experience what it's like from the other side - I don't necessarily think it's the minority that set a bad example, just that some have no idea what it's like in the saddle. For example, when my OH overtakes cyclists I try and suggest it would be helpful to oncoming traffic if she indicated, and that it would make the cyclist feel safer if she gave them a bit more room but she fails to take it on board, and she is completely ambivalent to cyclists.

I believe indicating when overtaking a cyclist is a good idea if in doing so you need to approach or cross the centre of the road, or to alert people behind who may benefit. Under certain circumstances failing to indicate is a fail.

As an infrequent forum user I find the thread this thread has gone down quite sad and unwelcoming. Given the low number of posts and posters I'm amazed this forum still exists and am intrigued as to who funds it and why.

Perhaps you could kill two birds with one stone and start a new thread? As for why it is funded: it is so we don't go spoiling other forums with our inane wit.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 5 2016, 03:58 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

There is a simple explanation Claude; there may well be newer forms of social media, but this a ceremonial Forum. The only expenses are mothballs to protect the Web Master's robes and a tin of Brasso for his chain of office. Plus our annual get together called a NEWT. If you'd like to contribute, all donations are very welcome, simply because we can't just bung it on the rates these days.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
newres
post Sep 5 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

Agreed. Whenever I come on here, I have to put on a flame retardant jacket as the usual posters don't like someone with different views to their own.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 5 2016, 07:26 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Sep 5 2016, 05:38 PM) *
Agreed. Whenever I come on here, I have to put on a flame retardant jacket as the usual posters don't like someone with different views to their own.

Not one for democracy then Newres! laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
DJE
post Sep 5 2016, 09:52 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,761

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 4 2016, 09:52 AM) *
Sounds like a nailed on Tory to me! tongue.gif

Perhaps in theirr worldview populated by one-dimensional stereotypes, maybe that fits some people's blinkered thinking. That's their problem.

In my original draft of my post, I said that conflating Toryism with selfish driving is idiotic. I now regret removing that comment.

Given that this thread is about cyclng and road safety, not irrelevant politics, lets keep it free of sniping and cheap political shots.

I will confess to being a cyclist. And being a driver.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 5 2016, 10:09 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DJE @ Sep 5 2016, 10:52 PM) *
Perhaps in theirr worldview populated by one-dimensional stereotypes, maybe that fits some people's blinkered thinking. That's their problem.

In my original draft of my post, I said that conflating Toryism with selfish driving is idiotic. I now regret removing that comment.

Given that this thread is about cyclng and road safety, not irrelevant politics, lets keep it free of sniping and cheap political shots..

I think there's room for any comment. Indeed, I think his comment was buried until you resurrected it!

This thread is about aggressive behaviour towards people just trying to get on. I can see some comparison with that and the current Monster Raving Tories.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Sep 5 2016, 10:31 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 5 2016, 11:09 PM) *
I think there's room for any comment. Indeed, I think his comment was buried until you resurrected it!

This thread is about aggressive behaviour towards people just trying to get on. I can see some comparison with that and the current Monster Raving Tories.

Just wait and see what the loony tunes lefties have in store. How to bugger up a country in three easy steps.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 5 2016, 11:31 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

gahoonas
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Sep 5 2016, 11:31 PM) *
Just wait and see what the loony tunes lefties have in store. How to bugger up a country in three easy steps.

They are a part of the problem we currently have. Anyway, this is about anti-cycling thugs, not political ones!

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Sep 5 2016, 11:41 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 5 2016, 02:42 PM) *
I believe indicating when overtaking a cyclist is a good idea if in doing so you need to approach or cross the centre of the road, or to alert people behind who may benefit. Under certain circumstances failing to indicate is a fail.

Perhaps you could kill two birds with one stone and start a new thread? As for why it is funded: it is so we don't go spoiling other forums with our inane wit.

Indicators should be used whenever a maneuver from the straight is required. Do that and there would be a lot less anger on the roads. I always indicate, even if there is no other vehicle visible. You HAVE to assume there are others on the road that you cannot see.

OH, and btw Andy, I recently mentioned those being interviewed on radio, that had an academic input would usually start an explanation/response to a question, with 'So'. You said it was to consider the response before offering it. I have since listened to many such interviews, and not once was there a pause.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 5 2016, 11:49 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Sep 6 2016, 12:41 AM) *
OH, and btw Andy, I recently mentioned those being interviewed on radio, that had an academic input would usually start an explanation/response to a question, with 'So'. You said it was to consider the response before offering it. I have since listened to many such interviews, and not once was there a pause.

Eh??? huh.gif

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Sep 6 2016, 01:10 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 6 2016, 12:49 AM) *
Eh??? huh.gif

Retrace your comment history.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Sep 6 2016, 01:24 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 5 2016, 11:09 PM) *

You were saying?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 6 2016, 05:02 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Sep 5 2016, 06:17 AM) *
You never mentioned riding more than two abreast or any of the other issues. Your main issue seemed to be their dress which betrays your prejudice.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 6 2016, 06:53 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DJE @ Sep 5 2016, 10:52 PM) *

Given that this thread is about cyclng and road safety, not irrelevant politics, lets keep it free of sniping and cheap political shots.

I will confess to being a cyclist. And being a driver.

Ah, I must have misunderstood. I thought the thread was actually about a vile type of antisocial behaviour.

Other travellers also experience such bad behaviours from others, as this thread suggests even from cyclists. Round here, using the pavement, I've personally been subjected to gobbling off by cyclists. Similarly as a driver. I'm not alone; hence the polarisation of the debate. Whilst we can sympathise, before we can come up with sustainable solutions, we need to ask why this is happening.

Even if we boxed this issue, apart from just saying 'it's their problem', as I see it, the answer could only be for the victim to escalate robust responses. Arguably that, in some quarters would be seen as taking personal responsibility, but hardly satisfactory for many.

Therefore, like it or not, this is a socio-political issue; one about changing personal behaviours.

NB - I'm a pedestrian, cyclist (motor and peddle), driver, and passenger; like most on this forum.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 10:47 PM