IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nigel Farage to stand as UKIP's candidate in Newbury?
blackdog
post May 2 2014, 07:26 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 1 2014, 08:55 PM) *
Would you rather be stunned before you were killed or have your throat cut while conscious?
Whoopps, off topic YET AGAIN! sad.gif

Accodring to the same Daily Mail article:
Subway said all halal meat served in its branches has come from animals that were stunned before being slaughtered
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 2 2014, 08:19 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 2 2014, 08:26 AM) *
Subway said all halal meat served in its branches has come from animals that were stunned before being slaughtered

Not Halal then is it?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 2 2014, 10:58 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 2 2014, 08:26 AM) *

With our underinvested authorities, I wonder how stringent their processes are to assure this happens, and this is not just animals killed for Halal diets.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 2 2014, 11:12 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Animal slaughter is a bit of a grey area, isn't it? I think the only people who can safely comment without prejudice are vegetarians (which I'm not). I still won't be using Subway, though.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 2 2014, 12:49 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 2 2014, 09:19 AM) *
Not Halal then is it?

Why not?

No mention of stunning de-halaling the slaughter - http://www.tmfb.net/consumer-information/halal-slaughtering

For a fuller argument re-stunning: http://www.organic-halal-meat.com/article/stunning.php

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 2 2014, 03:06 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 2 2014, 01:49 PM) *
Why not?

No mention of stunning de-halaling the slaughter - http://www.tmfb.net/consumer-information/halal-slaughtering

For a fuller argument re-stunning: http://www.organic-halal-meat.com/article/stunning.php

Plenty of links to sites (there are too many to list) that confirm that the animal must be conscious when the throat is cut.
However you may have a point because one of them says on the subject "As with most things in Islam there are differences of opinion."

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 2 2014, 03:22 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 2 2014, 04:06 PM) *
"As with most things in Islam there are differences of opinion."

As is the case with most religion, politcs, etc...

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 2 2014, 07:23 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 2 2014, 12:12 PM) *
Animal slaughter is a bit of a grey area, isn't it? I think the only people who can safely comment without prejudice are vegetarians (which I'm not).

I am, and there isn't so very much more fear and anxiety in being killed with your throat cut than there is in being stunned - both are an unimaginably brutal end to a short and miserable life. It doesn't have to be like that, at least the short life can be a relatively peaceful and happy one, though sentient intelligent creatures are always going to be aware when their end is on the way and they'll be just as sh1t-scared as you would be in the same situation, and that has a lot to do with why I'm a vegetarian.

If you're concerned for animal welfare then buy Organic, because Organic standards of animal welfare are pretty good. Yes, it's more expensive, but compassion costs money, and that Value cr@p is cheap because there was no compassion wasted on them.

Obviously, there's no earthly reason why we should allow sentient intelligent animals to be killed with their throats cut if pre-stunning causes less fear and anxiety, and if that's not good enough for someone's religious convictions then they don't need to eat meat.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 3 2014, 11:28 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 1 2014, 08:06 PM) *
Well, here's one who Subway will never see as a customer, then. I would never knowingly eat Halal meat. Obviously the laws we have in this country against animal cruelty do not apply to certain sections of the population.

You pretty much won't be able to eat out anywhere soon then!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post May 3 2014, 01:55 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

As a young lad, I worked in a slaughterhouse where pigs met their end. Killing a pig for meat does not come under Halal rules of course but the market wants the meat to be as free of the blood as possible. The animals were driven down a concrete lane where the stunner was standing but elevated and he would grab them with a pincer electrode as they ran by. The animal then, because of its inertia, fell into the catch area where it was quickly clamped by its rear legs, hoisted and the throat cut. It then went on the rack to be further processed.

I can't say that the experience had any real effect on my outlook as I don't think that I saw it as other than this is how we produced the meat for the marketplace. I'm not a vegetarian as a result and realise that we are designed as meat eaters and as vegetarians, we have difficulty breaking down the cellulose. (Small appendix). Still, each to his own, I don't like fish, except for fish and chips.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 3 2014, 03:47 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ May 3 2014, 02:55 PM) *
Still, each to his own, I don't like fish, except for fish and chips.

Why mention fish, specifically?

+Quote Post
motormad
post May 3 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 3 2014, 04:47 PM) *
Why mention fish, specifically?

Must be because he supports over fishing and is therefor a Fishchist.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Weavers Walk
post May 4 2014, 03:10 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,234

QUOTE (motormad @ May 3 2014, 08:39 PM) *
Must be because he supports over fishing and is therefor a Fishchist.

Best advice....."if you're in a hole...stop digging"

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 4 2014, 04:09 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Weavers Walk @ May 4 2014, 04:10 PM) *

Who's in the hole? The post seemed to imply that vegetarians might eat fish, which of course is a contradiction in terms.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 4 2014, 04:46 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 4 2014, 05:09 PM) *
Who's in the hole? The post seemed to imply that vegetarians might eat fish, which of course is a contradiction in terms.

A total contradiction - but that doesn't stop some who claim to be vegetarian from eating fish.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 4 2014, 05:05 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 4 2014, 05:46 PM) *
A total contradiction - but that doesn't stop some who claim to be vegetarian from eating fish.

*yawn*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 4 2014, 05:17 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ May 3 2014, 02:55 PM) *
As a young lad, I worked in a slaughterhouse where pigs met their end. Killing a pig for meat does not come under Halal rules of course but the market wants the meat to be as free of the blood as possible. The animals were driven down a concrete lane where the stunner was standing but elevated and he would grab them with a pincer electrode as they ran by. The animal then, because of its inertia, fell into the catch area where it was quickly clamped by its rear legs, hoisted and the throat cut. It then went on the rack to be further processed.

I can't say that the experience had any real effect on my outlook as I don't think that I saw it as other than this is how we produced the meat for the marketplace. I'm not a vegetarian as a result and realise that we are designed as meat eaters and as vegetarians, we have difficulty breaking down the cellulose. (Small appendix). Still, each to his own, I don't like fish, except for fish and chips.

Good post. You have direct experience and know what you're talking about. Point is from the animal's point of view there is very little practical difference whether they lose consciousness through electrocution or blood-loss, so I'm not entirely impressed by protests against religious slaughter from people who eat meat from factory-killed animals.

I would be interested to know whether animals slaughtered on their farms in small numbers would suffer less stress, and whether pre-stunning in this situation would always be necessary. I accept that there is a possibility here that it would be more humane for individual animals to be slaughtered on-farm without pre-stunning, and I worry that the religious element confuses the issue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
motormad
post May 4 2014, 06:08 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Weavers Walk @ May 4 2014, 04:10 PM) *

No thanks. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 4 2014, 08:00 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 4 2014, 06:17 PM) *
Good post. You have direct experience and know what you're talking about. Point is from the animal's point of view there is very little practical difference whether they lose consciousness through electrocution or blood-loss, so I'm not entirely impressed by protests against religious slaughter from people who eat meat from factory-killed animals.

Hear, hear.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 5 2014, 07:35 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 4 2014, 06:17 PM) *
Point is from the animal's point of view there is very little practical difference whether they lose consciousness through electrocution or blood-loss, .

How do you know?
As you correctly say, the religious element confuses the issue.
What is best for the animal is what counts both in the way that it is reared and they way it is slaughtered.
Unfortunately Nature decided that some animals eat other animals so you are not going to stop it.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 07:12 AM