10 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thank you Network rail and Thatcham level crossing
Washwaterman
post Oct 14 2015, 07:00 AM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,018

Well another record 1 hour 5 minutes from The SSE roundabout to the level crossing Failure of the barriers this time. cannot remember the last time a bridge broke down.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 14 2015, 08:01 AM
Post #122

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 14 2015, 07:35 AM) *
and likewise there may well be a need to demolish some industrial buildings, but in the context of an important scheme that's neither here nor there

…ahh yes, "The Greater Good" argument....

I assume you don't work at one of these businesses that would be demolished then...

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 14 2015, 09:32 AM
Post #123

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 14 2015, 09:01 AM) *

I assume you don't work at one of these businesses that would be demolished then...

I've worked at a number of firms who, for one reason or another, have had to up-sticks, that's five relocations in my 30-odd year working life. It's disruptive for sure, but it often also creates an opportunity to modernise and organise so as long as the companies involved are compensated for theirloss I don't see any problem at all. Compulsory relocation of residential property is a different matter because of the entirely reasonable emotional connection to home and hearth, but that's not an issue with industrial.

So yes, "Hot-Fuzz" connotations acknowledged, but I do believe in the greater good and I think the proposal is a serious contribution to an important local issue and it deserves serious consideration.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 14 2015, 10:40 AM
Post #124

Advanced Member

Anything is possible.

But is it realistically achievable. We don't live in ancient Egypt and we don't have the financial resources to support this.

Feasibility study done in 2004 (letter attached) indicated an approximate £20m cost at that time. With the passage of time and other costs at this new location (compensation for relocated businesses, repositioning of pylons and HV cables, new roundabouts, new entrances, land acquisition etc) the costs would be significantly more (double? treble?)

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 14 2015, 07:35 AM) *
Moving the crossing east solves the ramp gradient problem because the ramp isn't then constrained to meet the level of the existing road on the north at the mini roundabout which is uncomfortably close to the crossing.

As the attached states, to keep to construction design standards regarding gradient the site of the current roundabout on Pipers Way/Station Road would have to be raised by around 10ft anyway. There is a specific gradient that has to be achieved if the bridge is to meet standards and it can't be solved by keeping the roundabout at current level and making the ramp steeper.

(from the letter)
"...although the local benefits are plain to see, the benefits to the strategic road network will be minimal. Indeed the environmental issues associated with the increase in traffic along this route may well cancel out the traffic flow benefits. "

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 14 2015, 07:28 AM) *
Ironically, the railway itself has demonstrated that just along the line, the cost of the flyover at Reading was huge, but all done just to avoid a few minutes delay to trains. So the question is really one of wanting an acceptable transport infrastructure which will sustain the local economy.

Network Rail were prepared to dig deep into their pockets to support that scheme as it directly impacted on their timetables and DfT concurred that it was a positive strategic decision for UK Plc's network based on delivering people and goods around the country. This level crossing is a short link road between a small Berkshire town and the A339 which is already subject to a 7.5t weight limit, so cannot be used strategically.

Where do you think the civil servants who run the Major Scheme funding at DfT will place this type of proposal?

Network Rail don't suffer delays, either of a few minutes or longer, because of the level crossing. Their passengers are fine. It's the motorists sat fuming in their cars that are delayed and Network Rail and their shareholders are hardly likely to agree to fund something to help resolve that, are they.....
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Level_crossing_letter_page_1b.JPG ( 94.06K ) Number of downloads: 6
Attached File  Level_crossing_letter_page_2.JPG ( 54.84K ) Number of downloads: 4

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 14 2015, 10:46 AM
Post #125

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 14 2015, 09:01 AM) *

That didn't get in the way of the Parkway and Faraday Road development. Where's Emily Pankhurst when you need one!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 14 2015, 10:53 AM
Post #126

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 14 2015, 11:46 AM) *
Where's Emily Pankhurst when you need one!

Waiting around the top bend of the racecourse development?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 14 2015, 12:13 PM
Post #127

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Lovely but quite typical response from WBC, which clearly demonstrates they (we) have absolutely no cohesive road transport strategy for this area. Of course, a bridge will herald demands for further road improvements and of course there will be an increase in emissions. There are quite obvious counters to both, which don't get a mention. Let's be honest, in detail terms, it's possibly a little less as credible than UKIPs proposal. Nonetheless, it was the right response from WBC and exactly fits with the Council's ethos. After all it is a very small, cash strapped authority whose horizons are consequently severely restricted. Anything bigger than the addition of a conservatory to the local museum or the management of public conveniences, necessarily has to be left to developers or national government. West Berkshire, unlike the wider publically owned Network Rail, really doesn't have the capacity or capability to look wider than the parish boundary.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 14 2015, 01:17 PM
Post #128

Advanced Member

I'm intrigued as to why people might think Network Rail might want to contribute squillions to such an ambitious engineering project. From their perspective their facility works fine. Their default position would be to close it, not build OVER it.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 14 2015, 02:03 PM
Post #129

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 14 2015, 02:17 PM) *
I'm intrigued as to why people might think Network Rail might want to contribute squillions to such an ambitious engineering project. From their perspective their facility works fine. Their default position would be to close it, not build OVER it.

Perhaps I should have made it clearer. Network Rail's flyover was only mentioned as an example of what strategic thinking can deliver. Of course, they aren't interested in building a bridge at Thatcham, not their bag. As for closing it, yes for them, that's the right answer, but does beg the question as to why they bridged Ufton - when even against the political hand wringing, closure would have been the most effective and cost efficient answer.

One answer for WBC to solve its Thatcham crossing issue would be to do just that, significantly down grade the road opposite and alter the Thatcham local road network in front to suit. In effect, this is what WBC believes it's electorate want; nothing wrong with that position, but why don't they say so?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 14 2015, 05:29 PM
Post #130

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Washwaterman @ Oct 14 2015, 08:00 AM) *
Well another record 1 hour 5 minutes from The SSE roundabout to the level crossing Failure of the barriers this time. cannot remember the last time a bridge broke down.

Seriously.... you sat in a queue for 1 hour 5 minutes over that short a distance when there are numerous junctions and turning areas you could have used to get yourself out of that queue and find a different way around.. With a 'Washwaterman' username you're not an out-of-townie so should have been able to work out how to get to where you needed to get to avoiding the queue. I can only assume you were getting paid and were using it as an excuse not to get to work

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 14 2015, 05:38 PM
Post #131

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 14 2015, 03:03 PM) *
Perhaps I should have made it clearer. Network Rail's flyover was only mentioned as an example of what strategic thinking can deliver.

You keep mentioning 'strategic'. There's nothing 'strategic' about Crookham Hill or Thornford Road. It's a back road rat run avoiding Newbury to get to Basingstoke. It's not even a B Class road.

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 14 2015, 03:03 PM) *
One answer for WBC to solve its Thatcham crossing issue would be to do just that, significantly down grade the road opposite and alter the Thatcham local road network in front to suit. In effect, this is what WBC believes it's electorate want; nothing wrong with that position, but why don't they say so?

For the most part that road is just what I'm after. Out of peak hours it's a good cross country route to use as a start point to get to Basingstoke or to the Tesco/retail park side of Newbury for most Thatcham dwellers. In peak hours it's a nightmare, with dumb people sat in queues for over an hour not knowing what to do. Outside of peak it's perfectly acceptable.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 14 2015, 05:44 PM
Post #132

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 14 2015, 06:29 PM) *
Seriously.... you sat in a queue for 1 hour 5 minutes over that short a distance when there are numerous junctions and turning areas you could have used to get yourself out of that queue and find a different way around With a 'Washwaterman' username you're not an out-of-townie so should have been able to work out how to get to where you needed to get to avoiding the queue. I can only assume you were getting paid and were using it as an excuse not to get to work

I don't understand your position on this spartacus. Why such vehemence? If a bridge is a poor choice then there will be objective evidence to support that reasoning, but I would like to see an informed public debate with the various proposals and options given a thorough airing because on the face of it the Thatcham/Newbury conurbation already needs an eastern by-pass and all the time we build the need increases and the options reduce so for me there's no time like the present.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 14 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #133

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 14 2015, 06:29 PM) *
Seriously.... you sat in a queue for 1 hour 5 minutes over that short a distance when there are numerous junctions and turning areas you could have used to get yourself out of that queue and find a different way around.. With a 'Washwaterman' username you're not an out-of-townie so should have been able to work out how to get to where you needed to get to avoiding the queue. I can only assume you were getting paid and were using it as an excuse not to get to work

With the Brimpton Road shut and Boundary Road shut and the consequential traffic on other route(s), the ideal options to get to Greenham Common are limited.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 14 2015, 05:48 PM
Post #134

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 14 2015, 06:44 PM) *
I don't understand your position on this spartacus. Why such vehemence? If a bridge is a poor choice then there will be objective evidence to support that reasoning, but I would like to see an informed public debate with the various proposals and options given a thorough airing because on the face of it the Thatcham/Newbury conurbation already needs an eastern by-pass and all the time we build the need increases and the options reduce so for me there's no time like the present.

I agree. If only Newbury had a long term strategy rather than their short-termism, we might have had the inner distribution routes the town deserves.

The problem in south Thatcham is not going to go away, but each administration takes one look and goes: *sharp intake of breath* too hard, lets just say there's nothing that can be done.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 14 2015, 05:55 PM
Post #135

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 14 2015, 06:38 PM) *
You keep mentioning 'strategic'. There's nothing 'strategic' about Crookham Hill or Thornford Road. It's a back road rat run avoiding Newbury to get to Basingstoke. It's not even a B Class road.

Until there's a burst water main, or a road closure, or the fkwit council 'allow' two 'relief' roads to be closed at the same time, and then the barriers fail = cluster fk.

For the most part that road is just what I'm after. Out of peak hours it's a good cross country route to use as a start point to get to Basingstoke or to the Tesco/retail park side of Newbury for most Thatcham dwellers. In peak hours it's a nightmare, with dumb people sat in queues for over an hour not knowing what to do. Outside of peak it's perfectly acceptable.

In other words: you don't have to use those routes at peak time, so screw those that do, eh? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 14 2015, 05:59 PM
Post #136

Advanced Member

Which is exactly the problem: Newbury and Thatcham don't have a main southeast relief/distribution road/route.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 14 2015, 06:09 PM
Post #137

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 14 2015, 06:59 PM) *
Which is exactly the problem: Newbury and Thatcham don't have a main southeast relief/distribution road/route.

Indeed. I don't think anyone is suggesting that there is an easy solution, but a solution is all the same necessary, and I would like to see a broad public debate of the options because it's going to cost a lot of money and whatever we choose it won't be universally popular.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil
post Oct 14 2015, 06:44 PM
Post #138

Member No.: 829

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 14 2015, 08:21 PM
Post #139

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil @ Oct 14 2015, 07:44 PM) *

Can we quote you on that? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Oct 15 2015, 06:53 AM
Post #140

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Phil @ Oct 14 2015, 07:44 PM) *

I trust you have evidence to support that comment?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 04:27 AM