IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tories approve widening the area for on-street parking charges, really, how long do you need in Newbury town anyway!
Andy Capp
post Jan 30 2014, 10:49 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

Be careful how long you are held up at the huge post office queue dear, there'll be a greenmeanie ready to pounce! And I wouldn't dither over that Latte either! tongue.gif

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2014/end-of-...parking-charges
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Jan 30 2014, 11:40 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 30 2014, 10:49 AM) *
Be careful how long you are held up at the huge post office queue dear, there'll be a greenmeanie ready to pounce! And I wouldn't dither over that Latte either! tongue.gif

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2014/end-of-...parking-charges

They say there wasn't much response to the Second consultation - I certainly responded to one of the consultations. I was not made aware of a further one, which means either

a) I responded to the second consultation

cool.gif The council were scum bags and didn't clearly advise all previous respondents that a further consultation was taking place

or

c) both of the above

I think now is the time to petition for WBC staff to pay for any pass they may have that entitles them to use Public car parking spaces without charge.

At least then self interest will be erradicated from decisions.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jan 30 2014, 12:01 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Andy is that not something that can be found out under a FOI request?

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 30 2014, 03:23 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Well, I won't be sorry about Newtown Road. It's a pain having to drive along the residents (empty during the day) parking bay so that traffic coming down the hill can get through, then pulling right out to turn left into Porchester Road if I need to.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 30 2014, 03:59 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Personally, I think it's the right decision. It's taken a bit of time to implement, but at least they've shown some leadership for once. The opposition claim they haven't listened, the time delay suggests that's just what they did do, but if the 'anti' case wasn't made, no amount of 'listening' will change the result.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 30 2014, 04:30 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 30 2014, 03:23 PM) *
Well, I won't be sorry about Newtown Road. It's a pain having to drive along the residents (empty during the day) parking bay so that traffic coming down the hill can get through, then pulling right out to turn left into Porchester Road if I need to.

Yes, another piece of 'marvellous' road planning made by people who don't have to live with it.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 30 2014, 04:31 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 30 2014, 03:59 PM) *
Personally, I think it's the right decision. It's taken a bit of time to implement, but at least they've shown some leadership for once. The opposition claim they haven't listened, the time delay suggests that's just what they did do, but if the 'anti' case wasn't made, no amount of 'listening' will change the result.

Why do you think it is right?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 30 2014, 06:27 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 30 2014, 04:30 PM) *
Yes, another piece of 'marvellous' road planning made by people who don't have to live with it.

I seem to remember that junction was changed because of the complaints that you couldn't see traffic to the left or right when vehicles were parking either side of the Porchester junction. The kerb was pulled forward so that visibility was improved for drivers waiting to pull out. A couple of years later they got rid of the parking anyway during the day because of the obstruction it was causing for traffic on Newtown Road. The junction has since been adjusted back so it isn't jutting out quite as far as previous.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Jan 30 2014, 06:29 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 30 2014, 03:59 PM) *

How have they listened? A number of people complained over the two consultations, which would have been a small sample of those who disagreed. There will be people like yourself that may agree with the decision, how many of them wrote to the council with their support?

Whilst those writing in support would be a smaller proportion of those who are in agreement of residents and town users - or can be clearly indicated that it is for their benefit and not just to suit the views of the officers of WBC and the councillors!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 30 2014, 06:29 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

The case against was pretty straightforward - WBC were implementing the changes to the existing parking scheme in order to raise income (as they announced when they first announced the changes). This was then declared illegal in a recent test case.

After that case WBC decided they were doing it for traffic control reasons (total tosh) - it doesn't remove any parking spaces so it will have little or no effect on traffic.

I was also unaware that they were carrying out a second consultation - why? Only one reason - the first consultation didn't get the response they wanted.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 30 2014, 06:36 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Rather like the sensitive issue regards the Greenham Common depot, where having just won a favour from WBC/GCT for the control tower, Julia Swift-Hook et al. kept schtum about the new depot. Didn't even inform his parishioners of the event in his news letter.

It seems that West Berkshire Council, Greenham Parish Council and Newbury Town Council now have to keep things quiet, through fear the plebs find out.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 30 2014, 06:55 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Jan 30 2014, 06:29 PM) *
How have they listened? A number of people complained over the two consultations, which would have been a small sample of those who disagreed. There will be people like yourself that may agree with the decision, how many of them wrote to the council with their support?

Whilst those writing in support would be a smaller proportion of those who are in agreement of residents and town users - or can be clearly indicated that it is for their benefit and not just to suit the views of the officers of WBC and the councillors!

That's a bit convoluted, but nonetheless, I did write in and support the proposition. However, I also know my Local Councillors asked a good few people in their normal local soundings, by the time I saw them face to face. They had the grace to say they were surprised at the level of support, when people understood what was being done. These days, the number of letters or emails you get as a Councillor or MP isn't a particularly accurate indication of public support.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 30 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jan 30 2014, 06:29 PM) *
The case against was pretty straightforward - WBC were implementing the changes to the existing parking scheme in order to raise income (as they announced when they first announced the changes). This was then declared illegal in a recent test case.

After that case WBC decided they were doing it for traffic control reasons (total tosh) - it doesn't remove any parking spaces so it will have little or no effect on traffic.

I was also unaware that they were carrying out a second consultation - why? Only one reason - the first consultation didn't get the response they wanted.

So you are against a second referendum on Europe then? laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 30 2014, 07:21 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I think that's been a red herring and almost a completely separate issue. The test case found against the London Council not because of the fact that it was introducing pay and display. They already had pay and display on their streets. What that council were intending to do was raise the price of the resident's parking permits from £40 to £100 (!) and vouchers for visitors from £1 to £4 as they simply wanted to raise £1.5m and had to reverse-engineer the charges to raise that.
Guardian link

The fact that WBC will be introducing pay and display in Newbury is no different from having pay and display in Hungerford - which has been there for as long as I can remember (20 years?).

The judgement at the High Court just focuses council's minds and reminds them that they can't divert any new income from the new parking to help Social Services keep going despite the ever heavier cuts in funding from central government....

it doesn't remove any parking spaces so it will have little or no effect on traffic.

Oh it will have an effect. The commuters will move into the residential streets.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 30 2014, 09:01 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 30 2014, 06:57 PM) *
So you are against a second referendum on Europe then? laugh.gif

There may be grounds for a second EU referendum - because membership implies a radically different thing that it did when the original referendum took place decades ago. But then again our democratic system empowers parliament to make such decisions on our behalf,

In the case of the parking scheme it is essentially unchanged from the first consultation so there was no justification for holding a second consultation and, as a result, ignoring the results of the first one.

It's a common tactic in planning - put in an application - wait for the objections - withdraw the application. Repeat until objections dwindle. Get planning permission thanks, in part, to a lack of objections. The Blue Ball site is a classic recent example in Newbury.

It's about time the consultation system allowed responses to carry over to subsequent similar proposals.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 30 2014, 09:51 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jan 30 2014, 09:01 PM) *
In the case of the parking scheme it is essentially unchanged from the first consultation so there was no justification for holding a second consultation and, as a result, ignoring the results of the first one.

Except that the first one was informal and sought comments on an intention to introduce the parking. IIRC there were some changes made (small, but to do with the complaints they received from the school on Link Road).

The second consultation was the legal and statutory requirement.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 30 2014, 10:47 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jan 30 2014, 09:51 PM) *
Except that the first one was informal and sought comments on an intention to introduce the parking. IIRC there were some changes made (small, but to do with the complaints they received from the school on Link Road).

The second consultation was the legal and statutory requirement.

The 'quiet' one?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 31 2014, 09:13 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 30 2014, 05:23 PM) *

Absolutely.
Fed up with having to wait by the obstructions in this road caused by people parking all day while they work or commute.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 31 2014, 09:32 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 31 2014, 09:13 AM) *
Absolutely.
Fed up with having to wait by the obstructions in this road caused by people parking all day while they work or commute.

If they wanted to improve traffic flow they would paint yellow lines on the road - and they won't. There will still be parking in Newtown Road.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 31 2014, 10:19 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jan 31 2014, 09:32 AM) *
If they wanted to improve traffic flow they would paint yellow lines on the road - and they won't. There will still be parking in Newtown Road.

Yes, but it will be less popular for the rail commuters - most of those parking I'm sure - for obvious reasons, so it will be easier to negotiate with fewer cars and shorter term parking. More will be displaced into the adjacent residential roads - unless they check out a large pot of yellow paint, or implement more residents' only parking.

Interested to read that Porchester Road poked out more than it does now - it currently seems to be at the natural pavement line.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 05:16 AM