2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kerbside Refuse Collections
cab
post Jan 30 2013, 09:39 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,555

I see the refuse collections are still behind........any excuse!

I agree the friday the snow started was exceptional - after that the council did a great job of keeping the roads clear. The school buses all made it to the villages all of last week, papers were delivered, large delivery trucks were all over!

Recycling they didn't even delay the collection - if it wasn't collected on the day they said forget it! They did not come along the wantage road which was no different to a wet day.

Who manages these contracts! What is the penalty for failing to collect. Who checks they are being reasonable when they say they cannot come out. Why are they still delayed 9 days later. Have they not heard of working extra hours or at weekends? I presume the reason recycling was not collected was because they were out doing black bins to catch up or sat on their hands - why are they still behind.

If we all gave up on recycling when it rained that would be interesting?

When the council moved to 2 weekly collections they should have ensured whatever happens collections are not cancelled - it is unreasonable to wait 4 weeks for collections - be it recycling or bins. My recycling has all gone in the bin and for the moment i give up.

Veola were given a very long large contract and it should have been customer focused which I doubt it was. The whole recycling sorting system is a great example of how un-consumer friendly it is!

Shame!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 30 2013, 09:55 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Well, my black bin was emptied yesterday on the normal day. So it could be just where you are.

It also depends how much waste you generate whether it's a problem waiting 4 weeks. I didn't risk putting out my recycling last week because of the ice hazard (my choice) and I still have room for more.

+Quote Post
cab
post Jan 30 2013, 11:12 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 30 2013, 09:55 AM) *
Well, my black bin was emptied yesterday on the normal day. So it could be just where you are.

It also depends how much waste you generate whether it's a problem waiting 4 weeks. I didn't risk putting out my recycling last week because of the ice hazard (my choice) and I still have room for more.

Have lots of recycling - big supporter of it and the concept. 4 crates, green bag and a green bin was full. No room for a month so had to trash it. Wished the recycling was in a mixed wheelie bin like other areas as it is much easier and gets a much bigger takeup.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 30 2013, 11:37 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

In the nicest possible way: just wondering if you're such a big supporter of recycling why you didn't take it to the tip. Also wondering what you consume to generate so much waste for recycling!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 30 2013, 11:55 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (cab @ Jan 30 2013, 11:12 AM) *
Wished the recycling was in a mixed wheelie bin like other areas as it is much easier and gets a much bigger takeup.

I agree, our set-up is a nuisance, especially when you see the blokes put it all in the same bin. Even worse is when the rain water runs down your leg from the drain holes when putting them out for collection! angry.gif

+Quote Post
cab
post Jan 30 2013, 01:37 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 30 2013, 11:55 AM) *
I agree, our set-up is a nuisance, especially when you see the blokes put it all in the same bin. Even worse is when the rain water runs down your leg from the drain holes when putting them out for collection! angry.gif

I wonder if the target for recycling is done by weight and wet paper helps!

+Quote Post
cab
post Jan 30 2013, 01:41 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 30 2013, 11:37 AM) *
In the nicest possible way: just wondering if you're such a big supporter of recycling why you didn't take it to the tip. Also wondering what you consume to generate so much waste for recycling!

No offence taken. I have a large family, and large garden so we produce a lot and i am maticulous - everything that can goes in there and our black bin after two weeks is only 30-40% full. I feed most of our leftovers to the dogs but not everything agrees with them!

I would drive to the tip but for two reasons - i didn't fancy all the snow and water leaking into my car. And i live north of the M4 so the drive would outweigh any benefit. If it were more local i would.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 30 2013, 01:58 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Fair enough. I guess we in Newbury are more fortunate with our collections. Apparently the recycling was taken last week, but a couple of days late.

+Quote Post
Blake
post Jan 30 2013, 02:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

I agree with Cab.

The kerbside recycling in West Berks is handled by Veolia with serial ineptitude, especially in winter and after Christmas.

In 2010, after the hard snow that year, the green bins were overflowing, having been missed for weeks AND with Christmas waste. One of their staff saw my bin and did not empty it. I remonstrated with him and this churlish character only said "I tagged it". That meant nothing to me. I had done nothing out of the ordinary or put anything forbidden in it. I think it was just a case of I don't want to lift it and the truck is already full. I was seething at that.

WBC also made another cardinal sin; they only negotiated a waste contract with a single firm; Veolia! This was so stupid. Other local authorities had at least two bidders. Having more that one bidder allows a local authority potentially to win a better final deal for the consumer.

I sometimes wonder if West Berks Council is run by aliens.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jan 30 2013, 02:04 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Can't be worse than me accidentaly putting all of the bottles and cans in the "green waste only" bin.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jan 30 2013, 03:32 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

All of my collections have been done and on the correct day. Black bin was collected Friday lunch time even though it was snowing.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 30 2013, 05:09 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Same here, service provided exactly as scheduled.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 30 2013, 05:16 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

My bins are emptied as normal.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 30 2013, 10:14 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

I would not be surprised if the bin crews are seconded to gritting when the snow settles.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 30 2013, 10:33 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jan 30 2013, 05:16 PM) *
My bins are emptied as normal.

Yes, I think "metropolitan Newbury" is OK : it seems to be the outlying areas that have problems.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 31 2013, 12:53 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 30 2013, 10:33 PM) *
Yes, I think "metropolitan Newbury" is OK : it seems to be the outlying areas that have problems.

nope, our recycling was uncollected. 4 days after the snow fell....

+Quote Post
John C
post Jan 31 2013, 12:41 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,022

My recyclables have still not been collected but my black bin has been emptied this week. But I did not think Veolia had any thing to do with gritting as that was another contract with different contractors.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 31 2013, 01:16 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 31 2013, 12:53 AM) *
nope, our recycling was uncollected. 4 days after the snow fell....

Did you look on WBC web site? What to do was all there.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 31 2013, 01:33 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 31 2013, 01:16 PM) *
Did you look on WBC web site? What to do was all there.

Thank you, but I don't need to be told by the local council what to do. Unlike some it would seem. Not having the empty claret bottles taken away isn't a disaster about which I'll be campaigning outside the WBC offices.

At the end of the day, when it was obvious that the recycling was not to be collected that day I simply asked that the empties be taken back in from the kerbside.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 31 2013, 03:23 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 31 2013, 01:33 PM) *
Thank you, but I don't need to be told by the local council what to do. Unlike some it would seem. Not having the empty claret bottles taken away isn't a disaster about which I'll be campaigning outside the WBC offices.

At the end of the day, when it was obvious that the recycling was not to be collected that day I simply asked that the empties be taken back in from the kerbside.

Good, wasn't too clear from your first post! Must admit, I was doubtful that they'd come, but put the stuff out when it was suggested - it went. Again, would have been no massive hardship to store till next collection.

Frankly, in spite of what might be implied by other posts seen on this forum, I think the contractor and the Councils management of the contract has lead to a massive improvement in waste services in this area. That is measured not only against what happened before, but with services provided by other authorities at properties I have an interest in elsewhere.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 09:17 PM