> Police & Crime Commissioner Thames Valley
Simon Kirby
post Feb 3 2013, 03:03 PM
Post #161

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 1 2013, 12:26 PM) *
Mr Pickles has complained that Councils are creating/using such arrangements to increase the contribution via a number of like bodies..... Others are just ignoring......

Newbury Town Council have been scamming the tax-payer like this for several years. NTC's precept isn't capped so they add a bit to their precept under the pretext of some service or other which they operate on behalf of WBC. WBC gets the money, and NTC gets the power and prestige of being a bigger, more expensive council.

Current services with money going to WBC are the Warf Toilets (~£20k), so-called cleaning contract for the charter market (~40k but the "contract" has never been tendered, breaking the council's financial rules), Wardens (~£50k I think), and the Flood Alleviation Scheme (can't remember how much this was).

It's also far from clear whether NTC has the power to spend the money it has on Parkgate, because NTC is just the leasee, and only leases part of the park at that, so damage to the structure of the park would normally be the responsibility of the freeholder, not the leasee. Same with the significant money NTC spends on tree maintenance, at law trees form part of the land rather than something growing on it, so the responsibility for maintaining the trees would ordinarily belong to the freeholder.

There's also the grants that NTC makes annually to local, and not so local, organisations, some of which would more properly be supported by WBC, like the £15k to the Citizens Advice.

All told NTC could be sending around £150k annually to WBC to help WBC avoid the cap.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Feb 3 2013, 03:38 PM
Post #162

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 3 2013, 02:37 PM) *
Quite agree, but I suspect he is suffering from the belief that he was dealing with people with integrity. Experience in the coalition should have disabused him of that!

He sets a target of 2%, councils comply and set 1.99% - where is the lack of integrity?

He makes the rules and then complains about councils that aren't breaking them! If he wanted a freeze he should have set the rules accordingly.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 3 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #163

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (blackdog @ Feb 3 2013, 03:38 PM) *
He sets a target of 2%, councils comply and set 1.99% - where is the lack of integrity?

He makes the rules and then complains about councils that aren't breaking them! If he wanted a freeze he should have set the rules accordingly.

I agree, any increase at the moment is taking the P***. Its the usual shoddy sales line, tremendous bargain, because £9.99 is so much less than £10! All he has succeeded in doing is making 2% (less 1p) the norm. At one time, he could have expected his supporters to have played the game, but as our own dear Police Commissioner has proved, not any more.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
badger
post Feb 4 2013, 05:48 PM
Post #164

Member No.: 249

well as for cost I don't know but I do know that Mr Stansfeld has a PR Assistant and a Personal Assistant!!! Popular man I guess?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 19 2013, 10:03 PM
Post #165

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Here you go - your chance to make an impact:
Work with Mr Stansfield

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Aug 24 2013, 11:34 PM
Post #166

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

More alleged troughing from Stansfield's fellow commissioners

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-24...3-6million.html

When the record of the useless Tory and Libdem public schoolboys currently occupying Whitehall is put under the microscope the unwanted, pointless and hugely expensive creation of PCCs will be high on the list of their disastrous and incompetent 'reforms'.

In the meantime any news of Commissioner Stansfield? Are we still forking out for his chauffeur driven commute? Has he, you know, actually achieved anything other than milking us for cash?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Aug 25 2013, 10:19 AM
Post #167

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Aug 25 2013, 12:34 AM) *
More alleged troughing from Stansfield's fellow commissioners

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-24...3-6million.html

When the record of the useless Tory and Libdem public schoolboys currently occupying Whitehall is put under the microscope the unwanted, pointless and hugely expensive creation of PCCs will be high on the list of their disastrous and incompetent 'reforms'.

In the meantime any news of Commissioner Stansfield? Are we still forking out for his chauffeur driven commute? Has he, you know, actually achieved anything other than milking us for cash?

Not exactly 'troughing' - both are Independants, neither claiming any expenses. Just a query over whether they were eligible to stand for the election.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Aug 25 2013, 10:39 AM
Post #168

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Aug 25 2013, 11:19 AM) *
Not exactly 'troughing' - both are Independants, neither claiming any expenses. Just a query over whether they were eligible to stand for the election.

It proves the point though that when Politicians get involved morals tend to get pushed to the back and the me first culture comes to the fore?

I can see the headlines now "It was a misunderstanding there was no intention of circumventing the rules" they are supposed to be overseeing our boys in blue yet are unable or unwilling to follow simple rules, regulations, laws or whatever themselves?

A pathetic system that has been cobbled together to give old pals a job and to inflict political influence on the Police! angry.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Aug 25 2013, 12:06 PM
Post #169

Advanced Member

I don't disagree that the PCC system is defective, but there is something behind this Daily Wail story. I rather suspect the chaps are more linked to the areas they have been elected for than is apparent, and a miffed Party Agent has done some scraping round for the chance to give their Party Political candidate a second chance. Why else would a fella stand in an area so far away than if he was motivated in some way?

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Aug 25 2013, 02:11 PM
Post #170

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Aug 25 2013, 12:34 AM) *

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Mr Stansfeld has failed to disclose his expenses since March of this year.

http://www.thamesvalley-pcc.gov.uk/Your-PC...C-Expenses.aspx

His deputy has not declared any expenses at all. Good if true but if not why not. Is he financing his visits/external meetings from his own pocket or have we missed something.

There doesn't seem to have been any action according to his blog since March. Is he hoping to slip under the radar.

There is a public meeting at the WBC headquarters on 6th September at 10:30 however.

The statement on the expenses "mistake"

http://www.thamesvalley-pcc.gov.uk/News-an...C-Expenses.aspx

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Aug 25 2013, 04:37 PM
Post #171

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Aug 25 2013, 03:11 PM) *
Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Mr Stansfeld has failed to disclose his expenses since March of this year.

http://www.thamesvalley-pcc.gov.uk/Your-PC...C-Expenses.aspx

His deputy has not declared any expenses at all. Good if true but if not why not. Is he financing his visits/external meetings from his own pocket or have we missed something.

There doesn't seem to have been any action according to his blog since March. Is he hoping to slip under the radar.

There is a public meeting at the WBC headquarters on 6th September at 10:30 however.

The statement on the expenses "mistake"

http://www.thamesvalley-pcc.gov.uk/News-an...C-Expenses.aspx

So the "Mistake" is put down to his minions then? I was under the impression that it was the individual who was responsible for the correct claiming of expenses? If he is unable to understand the system of claiming expenses then is there any chance of him understanding the complex laws, regulations, codes of conduct of the Thames Valley Police Force? I was given to understand that he was there to ensure a new level of accountability for the taxpayer but it seems we now need a new Commissioner to ensure the Police Commissioner is accountable as well. On goes the Old boy Gravy train choo choo! Politicians eh? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
gel
post Nov 26 2013, 09:32 PM
Post #172

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Latest News from The Commissar!

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-new...e-crime-6327289

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 27 2013, 06:57 AM
Post #173

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

"Do you think you are worth your £85,000 salary?"
"I earn considerably less than 21 people in my own police force, I get very much less than most NHS managers or senior council officers, so I think my salary is reasonable.

I run my office with my wages and it is still costing £½ million less than the previous system did"

A quick yes or no would suffice!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 27 2013, 09:43 AM
Post #174

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Anthony Stansfeld)
Do you think you are worth your £85,000 salary?

I earn considerably less than 21 people in my own police force, I get very much less than most NHS managers or senior council officers, so I think my salary is reasonable. I run my office with my wages and it is still costing £½ million less than the previous system did.

I note he didn't actually answer the question. Being paid 'fairly' doesn't automatically mean one is paid what they are worth. Heading a service that cost less than a previous service could easily be because the last one was too expensive, and neither argument prove good value or worth.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 27 2013, 11:00 AM
Post #175

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

In a roundabout way he has, he says he 'earns' considerably less than some other public service managers. Earns means the results of the labour you input. So as he seems to do very little, he earns far less. In terms of what he's actually given as a reward, that seems over generous. Market rate for a senior clerk dealing with complaints, £30,000pa tops?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 27 2013, 04:46 PM
Post #176

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 27 2013, 11:00 AM) *
In a roundabout way he has, he says he 'earns' considerably less than some other public service managers. Earns means the results of the labour you input. So as he seems to do very little, he earns far less. In terms of what he's actually given as a reward, that seems over generous. Market rate for a senior clerk dealing with complaints, £30,000pa tops?

+ the expenses if course! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Nov 27 2013, 05:07 PM
Post #177

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Nov 27 2013, 04:46 PM) *
+ the expenses if course! rolleyes.gif

... and his part time job as a West Berks councillor.

+Quote Post
gel
post Dec 6 2013, 11:35 AM
Post #178

Advanced Member

He may want a volunteer to be his chauffeur to bring him all the way to Newbury Town Hall!

Anthony Stansfeld, will be holding a public meeting in West Berkshire this month.

The event will be an opportunity for the PCC along with the Local Police Area Commander, Robin Rickard, to meet and greet residents and deliver presentations about the role of the PCC and local policing in West Berkshire.

A representative from the Community Safety Partnership will also be in attendance to tell the public more about the work they carry out in the area.

Residents can also ask questions and feedback any concerns they have about policing and crime.

The meeting will take place at the Newbury Town Hall, Market Place, RG14 5AA on Wednesday 18 December at 7pm.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Dec 7 2013, 09:20 AM
Post #179

Advanced Member

QUOTE (gel @ Dec 6 2013, 11:35 AM) *
He may want a volunteer to be his chauffeur to bring him all the way to Newbury Town Hall!

Anthony Stansfeld, will be holding a public meeting in West Berkshire this month.

The event will be an opportunity for the PCC along with the Local Police Area Commander, Robin Rickard, to meet and greet residents and deliver presentations about the role of the PCC and local policing in West Berkshire.

A representative from the Community Safety Partnership will also be in attendance to tell the public more about the work they carry out in the area.

Residents can also ask questions and feedback any concerns they have about policing and crime.

The meeting will take place at the Newbury Town Hall, Market Place, RG14 5AA on Wednesday 18 December at 7pm.

What! And miss out the chance for an expenses claim? Yeh Right!! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
gel
post Dec 11 2013, 08:26 PM
Post #180

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Dec 7 2013, 09:20 AM) *
What! And miss out the chance for an expenses claim? Yeh Right!! rolleyes.gif

Defending the obscene salary he enjoys (+ obscene, unaffordable pension plan) as article, as being par for the course in the public sector; also now championing more priority being given to detecting "FGM"; a practice of certain religions, well one actually, against the fairer se*.

http://www.newburyandthatchamchronicle.co....defends-salary/

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2024 - 03:49 AM