3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ken Clarke says riots 'legacy of broken penal system'
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 7 2011, 03:48 PM
Post #41

Guests

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Sep 7 2011, 03:31 PM) *
Everyone has a right be given the opportunity to make a success of their lives but this involves some tough love.The issues to be dealt with now are parental reponsibility and mutual respect within the family, family discipline, establishing discipline in schools so that every child gets the opportunity to learn. Teaching social skills as basic as how to communicate with one and other. Opportunities to work and be respected for that work no matter how menial.
All this is achievable in the future but as for the underclass that successive governments have allowed to fester and grow in lawlessness, laziness, benefit dependent and just plain irresponsible then yes, give them the opportunity to change and learn, but those that don't repond you have to come down hard on.

I think alot of it is more to do with the kid rather than their environment. I didn't "get on" with school, arguing with teachers more out of frustration than immaturity, constant arguing with parents until I was about 16 anyway. As for social skills, at school all they do is teach you that it's OK to pick on other kids for being ginger/fat/gay. Things are wrong on all the levels right down to Year 1 and 2 in Primary School.

But I agree about respecting opportunities to work. From 17-18 I basically worked for "free". It was classed as work experience from the silly course at the WBTC I was on at the time. I ended up working at Halfords Bikehut for about 4 months and Motor Parts Direct for not far off 6..for £30 a week. The "technical" knowledge I learnt was next to nothing but having to work in a team, be on time, etc, have an authoritative figure (manager or something), having disputes with colleagues, all of these things happened at one or both of these places which is what set me up for my professional career.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 7 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 7 2011, 01:47 PM) *
Like the borstals that failed? The breading ground for systemic abuse?

No, nothing like borstals.
Boot camps, where discipline is paramount and enforced until it is understood and where the true values of life are taught under a strict, zero tolerance regime.
The parent(s) won't do it and the schools won't do it.
Someone has to or last month's riots will just be the start.
The main problem you would have is stopping them running home to mummy!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 7 2011, 05:07 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Sep 7 2011, 04:04 PM) *
If we reduced foreign aid by 10 percent that would raise between 800 mil and 1.4 billion.

We would need around £6billion.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 7 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 7 2011, 05:38 PM) *
No, nothing like borstals.
Boot camps, where discipline is paramount and enforced until it is understood and where the true values of life are taught under a strict, zero tolerance regime.
The parent(s) won't do it and the schools won't do it.
Someone has to or last month's riots will just be the start.
The main problem you would have is stopping them running home to mummy!

So without locking them up, it isn't going to work that easy is it?

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Sep 7 2011, 06:02 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 7 2011, 06:07 PM) *
We would need around £6billion.

I guess you didn't read everything:

How about a visa tax on tourists (5 quid per head). That could raise another 58 million per year. Turkey and the UAE are examples of those who charge for a visa.

If we reduced foreign aid by 10 percent that would raise between 800 mil and 1.4 billion.

Charity tax - for every pound sent overseas, one has to remain in the UK.

While compassion for those overseas is shown, how about showing some compassion/investment of the youth in the UK.

Also, rethink on how money is spent on education in the UK.

If there is a will to find the money, there is a way without having to tax people more

I am not suggesting I have any of all the answers, but at least I am throwing out ideas which at this moment seems alot more that the suits in charge are doing...

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 7 2011, 06:56 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Sep 7 2011, 07:02 PM) *

I did, just didn't see 4.6 billion in the other ideas.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Sep 8 2011, 03:47 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

I did, just didn't see 4.6 billion in the other ideas

I bet we can raise the rest if we pulled troops out of Iraq and Afganistan. If they happen to kill each other afterwards, oh well...

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 8 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Sep 8 2011, 04:47 PM) *
I bet we can raise the rest if we pulled troops out of Iraq and Afganistan. If they happen to kill each other afterwards, oh well...

An outlook that might illustrate the problems we have in the world. Raging over a few riots, but couldn't care less about the (hundreds of) deaths, torture and misery in another country.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Sep 8 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Something I know a little about,but not that much.
During the British mandate period in Mesopatamia..(Iraq)
Assyrians were recruited to form a sort of militia. (I thought they were all in the British Museum.)

They fought bravely for the allies, and helped in the Greek civil war in 1946.
When I left with my family after the mandate ended. The Kurds took revenge.
Even those who seem like the good guys now, took extreme force.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Sep 9 2011, 08:34 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 8 2011, 04:55 PM) *
An outlook that might illustrate the problems we have in the world. Raging over a few riots, but couldn't care less about the (hundreds of) deaths, torture and misery in another country.

Billions have been spent trying to sought out what at the end of the day is still infighting between tribes and various factions. They don't get along, have never gotten along, and will probably never get along.

Why don't we put the money to better use, which is on our future, as their future is too closely linked with their past.

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Sep 9 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Sep 9 2011, 09:34 AM) *
Billions have been spent trying to sought out what at the end of the day is still infighting between tribes and various factions. They don't get along, have never gotten along, and will probably never get along.

Why don't we put the money to better use, which is on our future, as their future is too closely linked with their past.

And we've made billions from selling the arms to conduct this in-fighting. We've made fortune from their misery. Including, in some cases, (Israel) letting them have the bits and pieces to construct the odd thermo-nuclear device or two.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 11 2011, 12:06 AM
Post #52

Guests

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Sep 9 2011, 10:59 AM) *
And we've made billions from selling the arms to conduct this in-fighting. We've made fortune from their misery. Including, in some cases, (Israel) letting them have the bits and pieces to construct the odd thermo-nuclear device or two.

I think when it comes to wars (and sorting out "tribal" issues, etc) there's always the upfront cost but any western country has more than the peace of an area. It's always about how it can benefit our country in some way. The days of countries helping other countries out of goodness of their heart are long gone.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 10:20 PM