Richard Garvie
post May 25 2011, 03:15 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

What do you make of this?

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/rou...ough-libraries/

Wokingham are effectively privatising their library service. Is this what library services here will look like in the future?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 25 2011, 03:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 25 2011, 04:15 PM) *
What do you make of this?

I don't know. The article doesn't tell me much. Does it mean that people will have to pay to borrow books, or does it mean the council will be able to keep libraries open that they would otherwise have to close, without cost to the end-user?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 25 2011, 04:45 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

The refuse collection is contracted out & that works.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 25 2011, 05:07 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 25 2011, 04:45 PM) *
The refuse collection is contracted out & that works.

I think this is the libraries being completely ofloaded to a new private company set up with an outside body, and the council will simply retain a shareholding. As I understand it, Veolia do the waste on a contract.

Will be interesting to see if there is a service charge as suggested by Jeff, very little detail on that aspect of it.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 25 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 25 2011, 06:07 PM) *
I think this is the libraries being completely ofloaded to a new private company set up with an outside body, and the council will simply retain a shareholding. As I understand it, Veolia do the waste on a contract.

Will be interesting to see if there is a service charge as suggested by Jeff, very little detail on that aspect of it.

Without public funding? No chance.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 25 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 25 2011, 05:17 PM) *
Without public funding? No chance.

Well, this is it. Did you read the article? It's very lose with details, but there is some bits there regarding how it will be set up. Like all of these things, the devil will be in the detail when it gets to the council chamber.

Here in West Berkshire, I'd rather see a community trust / co-op take the libraries on.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 25 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 25 2011, 08:11 PM) *
Well, this is it. Did you read the article? It's very lose with details, but there is some bits there regarding how it will be set up. Like all of these things, the devil will be in the detail when it gets to the council chamber.

Here in West Berkshire, I'd rather see a community trust / co-op take the libraries on.

Unless the idea is to turn libraries into a version of Blockbuster then taxation will always be the way in which they are paid for. It does not matter who runs them, public money will pay for them.

Wokingham obviously think getting a private firm in to run the libraries will be cheaper than the current cost of having the Council do it. I personaly can't see how that is possible.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 25 2011, 07:36 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 25 2011, 07:27 PM) *
Unless the idea is to turn libraries into a version of Blockbuster then taxation will always be the way in which they are paid for. It does not matter who runs them, public money will pay for them.

Wokingham obviously think getting a private firm in to run the libraries will be cheaper than the current cost of having the Council do it. I personaly can't see how that is possible.

We all know what happened here when services were run privately!!!

+Quote Post
user23
post May 25 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 25 2011, 08:36 PM) *
We all know what happened here when services were run privately!!!
What happened?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 25 2011, 07:43 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (user23 @ May 25 2011, 08:38 PM) *
What happened?

Nothing, I think. The privately-run refuse collection service runs pretty smoothly as far as I'm concerned.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 25 2011, 08:19 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ May 25 2011, 07:38 PM) *
What happened?

It cost more and was less effective!!! Veolia do a good job, but the waste contract has already cost around £3m more than what it should have.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 25 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 25 2011, 09:19 PM) *
It cost more and was less effective!!! Veolia do a good job, but the waste contract has already cost around £3m more than what it should have.

And they still cannot afford enough recycling lorries. And lets see how good the service is when it draws towards the end of the contract.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 25 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 25 2011, 09:19 PM) *

But is it cheaper than the council doing it themselves?

+Quote Post
moon
post May 25 2011, 11:19 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,780

As I said before, Libraries ARE on the way out! Kindles/ipads/supermarkets/ Amazon/cheap DVDs/no parking charges/no fines/etc. And you get to keep the product. Much the same with the internet, competive prices on all goods, (just bought a VW Camper Van tent, Can't find that in Newbury) often free or cheap delivery without leaving the house or office. It's just a matter of time...

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 26 2011, 07:57 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (moon @ May 26 2011, 12:19 AM) *
As I said before, Libraries ARE on the way out! Kindles/ipads/supermarkets/ Amazon/cheap DVDs/no parking charges/no fines/etc. And you get to keep the product. Much the same with the internet, competive prices on all goods, (just bought a VW Camper Van tent, Can't find that in Newbury) often free or cheap delivery without leaving the house or office. It's just a matter of time...

The only reason libraries will be 'on the way out' is if councils find ways to close them citing low useage. Whenever I have been to the library in Newbury, low useage does not seem to be an issue.

You only get fined if you fail to return/renew a rental./ You can do it online.

A kindle will cost you £111.00 - thet is an awful lot of uverdue fines. The content you might actually want to read isn't free, Amazon are already adding adverts & you don't actually own the content.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 26 2011, 09:10 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I think libraries provide a vital resource, not just for getting books but as a community hub if run correctly. We do alright with libraries in West Berkshire, and all we need is to try and see how we can make them more sustainable to run (financially).

As for the waste contract, I'm not sure what is cheaper or more efficient, I guess we shall see when the contract is coming to an end and judge it over the entire period. In other areas, some are cheaper and better, some are costlier and poorly run. Luck of the draw maybe?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post May 26 2011, 09:17 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

I would be willing to pay either a small annual fee or a rental charge, it would still give me more choice and flexibility than purchasing.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 26 2011, 10:46 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (moon @ May 26 2011, 12:19 AM) *

Ebooks are fine, but they dont have local photo exhbitions, ryhme and reading classes for pre school, free internet access, local information, craft classes, open studios, arts festivals. As for parking and fines. You only get fines if you fail to renew. £100 for an ebook, £10 a month for internet access, £5 for each book downloaded. Library books free, internet access free, parking 50p an hour.

+Quote Post
moon
post May 26 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Jayjay @ May 26 2011, 11:46 AM) *
Ebooks are fine, but they dont have local photo exhbitions, ryhme and reading classes for pre school, free internet access, local information, craft classes, open studios, arts festivals. As for parking and fines. You only get fines if you fail to renew. £100 for an ebook, £10 a month for internet access, £5 for each book downloaded. Library books free, internet access free, parking 50p an hour.

+Quote Post
moon
post May 26 2011, 11:18 PM
Post #20

I got my Kindle as a present, I already have internet/freeview/phone etc and can download books for under £5 or for free and have a bigger choice of things the library doesn't have that I would have to pay for for the library to get. I'm not interested in the other stuff, I can either get them for free anyway or pay for what I choose.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 11:07 AM