> NWN Online, Makeover
x2lls
post Feb 22 2012, 08:42 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 22 2012, 08:33 AM) *
When I click on "last post by" on the forum the link takes me correctly to the last post of the topic, but then jumps to the top of the page and I have to scroll down to the last post.
Anyone else??

Yes!!!

--------------------
There their, loose loser!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 22 2012, 09:42 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

When I click on "last post by" on the forum the link takes me correctly to the last post of the topic, but then jumps to the top of the page and I have to scroll down to the last post.
Anyone else??

QUOTE (x2lls @ Feb 22 2012, 08:42 AM) *
Yes!!!

No!!!

What browsers are you using? Works just fine in Chrome.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Feb 22 2012, 10:03 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

Anyone else??

Yes. On every page.

It seems to be to do with whatever it is that's trying to load in the top right hand corner of the page. So, for me at least, the page loads ok to the last post, then the object trying to load at the top right hand corner craps out resulting in the page bumping back up to the top.

I'm not sure what it is that's trying to load, but there's a standard "Not found, Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found..." error message. It's been like that for me since the new site went live. Either NWN don't know about it, or waiting for a fix. But it's just a broken link, so it should take about 30 seconds to sort.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 22 2012, 11:01 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 22 2012, 10:42 AM) *
No!!!

What browsers are you using? Works just fine in Chrome.

Firefox.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 22 2012, 12:05 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 22 2012, 11:01 AM) *
Firefox.

I gave up on Firefox because it developed an annoying habit of locking the mouse to the scroll bar wherever you moved the mouse to. Firefox used to be a great browser, but I think it's gone downhill recently with all the new releases.

I downloaded Chrome and haven't looked back (it will import all your bookmarks from whichever browser you were using before). It took a few days to get used to the bookmarks being on the left rather than the right, but a nice feature is that you can spread out frequently-used bookmarks along the bookmarks bar, rather than having them all in one drop-down folder. It also has a load of 'apps' you can install - just like a mobile phone, if you're into that sort of thing.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 22 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #46

Guests

Jeff, think you're running into a Layer 8 OSI problem with your Firefox there buddy..

I admit Firefox is not the best browser but I like the pretty themes I have and the fact I have 4 rubber duckies smiling at me every day. Who wouldn't want that sort of connection with someone? Although for outright security Chrome seems best but if you are running patched Adobe, Flash and Java you're unlikely to get any sort of drive by downloads of exploits unless you are a numpty! tongue.gif

The new FF10.x isn't to bad really. Suits Windows 7 theme well. Chrome as standard looks very crayony and trust me I am the Crayon King.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Feb 22 2012, 12:41 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 22 2012, 12:26 PM) *
Layer 8 OSI problem
How original.

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 22 2012, 12:26 PM) *
I admit Firefox is not the best browser

Agreed. A few years ago Firefox was bulletproof, now it just seems buggy. I gave up on it a while back. And, for all the hype about how standards complaint it is, I have found - albeit in my very limited experience of web design - that it has as many practical issues as any other browser. More so, in fact. I found that, generally, IE and Opera were best at displaying code as it is written.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 22 2012, 06:53 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

OK.................................downloaded Chrome, now using it and the jump still happens. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 22 2012, 07:22 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 22 2012, 06:53 PM) *
OK.................................downloaded Chrome, now using it and the jump still happens. rolleyes.gif

It's the box in the right margin with the clock and weather - it takes a couple of seconds to load and grabs the focus when it does, dragging the page up to the top. It's tres annoyez.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 22 2012, 07:38 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I have tested this on all the main browsers (IE, FF, Chrome) and they all do it if you have the default installation. It is a website problem.

In FF, if you install Adblock Plus, it stops the script from running and you will stop the problem.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 22 2012, 08:00 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 22 2012, 08:53 PM) *

Didn't appeal to me much.
Back on Firefox now.
Matter of individual taste I suppose?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 22 2012, 08:15 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 22 2012, 08:00 PM) *
Didn't appeal to me much.
Back on Firefox now.
Matter of individual taste I suppose?

Same here; all browsers have their faults.

Adblock Plus works for me on the problem described above.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 22 2012, 08:15 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 22 2012, 07:38 PM) *
In FF, if you install Adblock Plus, it stops the script from running and you will stop the problem.

Ah, that's reason it didn't happen to me then. Nothing to do with Chrome versus Firefox.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 22 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Chrome question.

I like the Google tool bar for two big reasons. You can look at all your previous searches in the search box, and it has a superior dictionary compared top Firefox's default.

What is Chrome's spell checker like?
Is there a way in Chrome to see all your previous search strings?

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 22 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #55

Guests

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 22 2012, 08:24 PM) *
I like the Google tool bar for two big reasons. You can look at all your previous searches in the search box, and it has a superior dictionary compared top Firefox's default.

What is Chrome's spell checker like?

Clearly better than whatever browser you are using. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 22 2012, 10:20 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 22 2012, 09:43 PM) *
Clearly better than whatever browser you are using. biggrin.gif

As far as I can tell, the spelling's fine! wink.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 23 2012, 11:10 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 22 2012, 10:20 PM) *
As far as I can tell, the spelling's fine! wink.gif

And this sentince (without mentioning carridgeways) gives me two squiggly red underlines in Chrome's spell checker. smile.gif

So it seems to work.

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 4 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Not sure if this is working as expected.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 5 2012, 11:39 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

I'm starting to like the new-look web site. What I like particularly is that there are more pictures. Now most of the snagging's been done can I make a few specific suggestions:

1. The text for the main story gets truncated when it appears on the front page but there isn't a "read-more" botton right next to the ellipsis as there is with the smaller stories in the "other news" section below. You click the picture or the title to get the full story but that's not completely obvious and I think a "read more" button would help.

2. What grabs my interest most is the pictures, so when I click on a news item to get a whole page just for that item I want to see exactly the same picture that went with the trauncated story on the main page, and sometimes the full-screen story doesn't have a picture at all - this story about the Hungerford bridge for example.

3. I'd like to be able to click any picture and get a much bigger version of it so I can see some detail.

4. One picture to grab my interest is good, but sometimes I'd like the full story to have several more pictures, the Hungerford Bridge story is a good example.

5. Please, please, please fix the problem with the "Not Found" gubbins in the right hand margin of the forum that takes a couple of seconds to load and then grabs the focus and scrolls the page from the last post that I want to read to the top of the page.

6. Please get rid of the clock. It's not possible to tell the time from it because the hour hand doesn't move properly.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 5 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 5 2012, 11:39 AM) *
3. I'd like to be able to click any picture and get a much bigger version of it so I can see some detail.

In the past, NWN sold pictures from the paper. If they still do that, your idea could harm that revenue stream.

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 5 2012, 11:39 AM) *
6. Please get rid of the clock. It's not possible to tell the time from it because the hour hand doesn't move properly.

Or make it digital.

I'd rather they get rid and use simple links; currently they use-up space at the top.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:12 AM