IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Selfish and as yet not dealt with idiots parking on pavements, When will our local traffic control deal with such an ASB?
GMR
post Jul 1 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Roost @ Jul 1 2010, 12:09 AM) *
Ossy didn't say anything about higher up in any organisation. I read it that THE COUNCIL and those oft maligned Green Goblins are what you should be moaning , sorry 'commenting' on as they are responsible now for parking issues. They are both completely seperate entities to the police.

Unless of course it's all one big conspiracy.....!

I read it that he was talking about the police.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 1 2010, 07:52 AM) *
Why not post pictures of bad parking on here if you see some and have a camera / cameraphone on you?

That is a good idea... next time I go out cycling I'll do that.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2010, 04:45 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 1 2010, 08:48 AM) *
Yes, I agree, the response from any "authority" that is reponsible for these sort of low level offences is pitifull.
The council has a duty of care and as such is responsible to uphold the laws that it has contracted to administer. Where you find a violation of these laws you should first notify the council and when you do not get any response (and likely you wont) then write to Mr Benyon.

I agree. And I've did both but they never do anything. However, when I put something up on here and the NWN covered it then they acted.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2010, 04:46 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 1 2010, 01:22 PM) *
What is an obstruction?

Anything that is in your path - on the pavement - and you have to go around it.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 1 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 1 2010, 05:46 PM) *
Anything that is in your path - on the pavement - and you have to go around it.

Are you sure about that? It is just that it sounds a bit vague.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 1 2010, 05:57 PM) *
Are you sure about that? It is just that it sounds a bit vague.

It does, doesn't it; however, that is what I was told by a police officer once. But then I could be wrong.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 1 2010, 05:14 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Take the bus-shelter outside the Post Office in town, it is in my way, but I can easily walk round it. I thought, perhaps, it would be anything that forces you off the pavement to get round.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 1 2010, 06:14 PM) *
Take the bus-shelter outside the Post Office in town, it is in my way, but I can easily walk round it. I thought, perhaps, it would be anything that forces you off the pavement to get round.

Yes, but that is different... that is supposed to be there. When you are pushing a pushchair and have problems get pasting, then something should be done. When they put up bus shelters up they think of those things.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jul 1 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 1 2010, 01:31 PM) *
If you are correct and the police (ossy) don't know what their responsibilities are regarding this law, then you have to ask what else don't they understand.
What do you think Ossy1?

Do you ring the enviromental health officer and expect them to resolve an issue with your council tax (assuming you pay it), no thought not.

Do you have any idea how many departments there are within the police service, no you probably don't. You have just made an assumption about what it is I might do as a police officer.

But to be honest this forum does make me laugh one minute people complain the police spend to much time dealing with motorists and other things that make money rather than dealing with serious issues now your complaining that they are not doing exactly what you complain they spend to much time doing!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jul 1 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

Let's see now, motorists complaining about cyclists.
Cyclists complaining about motorists.
Pedestrians complaining about cyclists and motorists.
Motorists complaining about the green meanies.
Everybody complaining about the police when they do not react to the complainers personal grudge.
.....feel free to add to the list.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jul 1 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jul 1 2010, 07:10 PM) *
Let's see now, motorists complaining about cyclists.
Cyclists complaining about motorists.
Pedestrians complaining about cyclists and motorists.
Motorists complaining about the green meanies.
Everybody complaining about the police when they do not react to the complainers personal grudge.
.....feel free to add to the list.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 1 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 1 2010, 06:30 PM) *
Yes, but that is different... that is supposed to be there. When you are pushing a pushchair and have problems get pasting, then something should be done. When they put up bus shelters up they think of those things.

Yes, I understand that, but that is why I'm asking what constitutes an obstruction. I presume it is discretionary. Taking everything I have read as gospel, there is no specific law about parking on the pavement, but there is if it is causing an obstruction. If you are right, that would mean any parking on the pavement is obstruction, so that would mean there is a law about parking on pavements...do you see my confusion.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 1 2010, 06:19 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

It makes me laugh as well, the hypocrisy of the posts I mean. I complain about all of the police all of the time, at least I'm consistent though!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 1 2010, 07:14 PM) *
Yes, I understand that, but that is why I'm asking what constitutes an obstruction. I presume it is discretionary. Taking everything I have read as gospel, there is no specific law about parking on the pavement, but there is if it is causing an obstruction. If you are right, that would mean any parking on the pavement is obstruction, so that would mean there is a law about parking on pavements...do you see my confusion.

Then there should be a straight forward law that says no parking on the pavement. Simples! Unless you are a cyclist of course laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 1 2010, 07:19 PM) *
It makes me laugh as well, the hypocrisy of the posts I mean. I complain about all of the police all of the time, at least I'm consistent though!

And I think you have good reason to.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 3 2010, 07:32 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 1 2010, 02:20 PM) *
As for anyone not knowing everything about their responsibilities, this is also true of everyone, but it's a shame that members have to use this as another opportunity to have a go at members of this site who are allegedly associated with the police, especially when it is a will full attempt to go off topic as well. Talk about respect. rolleyes.gif

Didn’t intend to cause offence to Ossy1, my comment was merely to demonstrate that when it comes to law (be it traffic law or criminal law) not every uniformed copper is qualified to give the correct advice. I just highlighted that ‘obstruction’ is still in the police arena.

Before this council took over responsibility for parking from the police, if you phoned up the police to report a parking problem you would get through to their Call Centre and in every case they would tell you to get onto your local council as it wasn’t a police matter. It was one of a list of their standard responses for Call Centre handlers. At that time virtually every authority in the TVP area had gone ‘private’……… but WBC were still resisting and making TVP keep hold of the ONE single Traffic Warden on their books to cover our area. The Call Centre could never get their head around giving out different information for different areas within the TVP patch…..

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 6 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jul 1 2010, 06:45 PM) *
Do you ring the enviromental health officer and expect them to resolve an issue with your council tax (assuming you pay it), no thought not.

I'm not sure what this has to do with my post?

Do you have any idea how many departments there are within the police service, no you probably don't. You have just made an assumption about what it is I might do as a police officer.

I have not made any assumptions about what you do. I am simply asking why Spartacus says that you are wrong in saying that it is not the polices reponsibility. See his post 29.
Also see my post 33 where I explain my reason for my post.
But to be honest this forum does make me laugh one minute people complain the police spend to much time dealing with motorists and other things that make money rather than dealing with serious issues now your complaining that they are not doing exactly what you complain they spend to much time doing!

Where have I made any complaint about the police spending too much time on any particular activity.

For the record I believe the police do a great job dealing with difficult and serious crime however I feel they are weak and in many cases ineffective dealing with low level crime such as ASB.
How often do you hear reports of vunerable people calling the police a multitude of times for help and support only to be ignored and not responded to with sometimes catastophic results.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 6 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 6 2010, 11:05 AM) *
I'm not sure what this has to do with my post?

I think Ozzy1 was making the point that being a Policeman doesn't necessarily acquaint them with all knowledge of Police matters. There are different duties within the service.

I have not made any assumptions about what you do. I am simply asking why Spartacus says that you are wrong in saying that it is not the polices reponsibility. See his post 29. Also see my post 33 where I explain my reason for my post.

From my view, it is a grey area and it is likely to be a low priority for police time. Especially with all the murderers, rapists, vandals, etc, in Turnpike and elsewhere! tongue.gif

For the record I believe the police do a great job dealing with difficult and serious crime however I feel they are weak and in many cases ineffective dealing with low level crime such as ASB.
How often do you hear reports of vunerable people calling the police a multitude of times for help and support only to be ignored and not responded to with sometimes catastophic results.

This is also true of all the services, ambulance, welfare, etc, we have. It is the law of averages that with the amount of work there is, this will happen.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 6 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 6 2010, 11:37 AM) *
I think Ozzy1 was making the point that being a Policeman doesn't necessarily acquaint them with all knowledge of Police matters. There are different duties within the service.

Yes, I know.
From my view, it is a grey area and it is likely to be a low priority for police time. Especially with all the murderers, rapists, vandals, etc, in Turnpike and elsewhere! tongue.gif

Although your view is interesting, I was responding to the comment Ossy1 made regarding the understanding of which agency was reponsible for dealing with parking on pavements. I don't think anyone is saying it is of high importants and should be treated as a priority.
This is also true of all the services, ambulance, welfare, etc, we have. It is the law of averages that with the amount of work there is, this will happen.

I was particular refering to police reponse to ASB not the general response of public agencies.
Although your observation may be correct I am particularly concerned that ASB is not given a higher priority and in my opinion it needs to be elevated by both the police and the justice system as it is a crime that targets the weak and vulnerable.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 6 2010, 11:20 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 6 2010, 11:52 AM) *
I was particular refering to police reponse to ASB not the general response of public agencies. Although your observation may be correct I am particularly concerned that ASB is not given a higher priority and in my opinion it needs to be elevated by both the police and the justice system as it is a crime that targets the weak and vulnerable.

The point I make is that there will be different standards of service, almost a postcode lottery. Some Police services and councils deal with ASB better than others, and this might also come down to how bad it is and available resources.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:25 PM