IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did the Country Lose Money This Weekend?
Jayjay
post Jun 5 2012, 10:39 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 357

Can anyone explain how the country lost money due to the extra days holiday? We work an extra day this year as it is a leap year so that is negated. People have taken three days holiday to get a nine day day stretch. That three days will be taken from their annual leave, it is not extra. It is not a bank holiday so anyone unlucky enough to have to work will not get extra pay.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 5 2012, 10:41 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jun 5 2012, 11:39 AM) *
Can anyone explain how the country lost money due to the extra days holiday? We work an extra day this year as it is a leap year so that is negated. People have taken three days holiday to get a nine day day stretch. That three days will be taken from their annual leave, it is not extra. It is not a bank holiday so anyone unlucky enough to have to work will not get extra pay.

Not a 'Bank' Holiday, but a one-off 'Public Holiday' for which the arrangements are the same, subject to contract.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jun 5 2012, 11:01 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

London is full of tourists, and bunting sales have gone through the roof. There is no losers, apart from the very few protesters.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jun 5 2012, 11:21 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jun 5 2012, 11:41 AM) *
Not a 'Bank' Holiday, but a one-off 'Public Holiday' for which the arrangements are the same, subject to contract.

Do we have the same amount of holidays as the rest of our European partners? They do not seem to moan about their holidays which shuts a lot of companies down during the summer?

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 5 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Jun 5 2012, 12:21 PM) *
Do we have the same amount of holidays as the rest of our European partners? They do not seem to moan about their holidays which shuts a lot of companies down during the summer?

And look what's happened to Greece!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jun 5 2012, 12:23 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 5 2012, 12:24 PM) *

Yes agree but look at the holidays the Germans get as well? unsure.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jun 5 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 5 2012, 12:24 PM) *
Greece get 12 public holidays a year, Germany get the same as England and Wales which normally is 8.

We got 9 this year and last, of course.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 5 2012, 01:41 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Quite apart from the commercial benefit, it has been quite motivating. We seem to have discovered our national pride again.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jun 5 2012, 01:43 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

Whatever the country lost in production may be made up in income from the do itself but I doubt that. The people who bear the brunt are the business owners who have to pay staff for five days and only get income for three days. To some extent, shopkeepers who remain open gain from extended weekend footfall but they still have to pay the extra wages or give time in lieu.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jun 5 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Even if we have, who cares? What a weekend, one that has included everybody, from every corner of the commonwealth, regardless of colour, wealth, creed or class.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 5 2012, 02:41 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jun 5 2012, 02:43 PM) *
Whatever the country lost in production may be made up in income from the do itself but I doubt that. The people who bear the brunt are the business owners who have to pay staff for five days and only get income for three days. To some extent, shopkeepers who remain open gain from extended weekend footfall but they still have to pay the extra wages or give time in lieu.

We can manage! Lets lift ourselves beyond the seeing the cost rather than the value. We could take the attitude you have outlined. Presumably you would be quite OK with no public celebrations at all?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 5 2012, 03:54 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Can anyone explain how the country lost money due to the extra days holiday? We work an extra day this year as it is a leap year so that is negated.

But the leap year argument won't apply to weekly paid workers, who will get paid for that day any way.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 5 2012, 03:59 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I don't think so. With the extra tourists and the money spent on the Jubilee and think Britain gained, rather than lost. All countries celebrate something so why shouldn't we?

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jun 7 2012, 09:21 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 5 2012, 03:41 PM) *
We can manage! Lets lift ourselves beyond the seeing the cost rather than the value. We could take the attitude you have outlined. Presumably you would be quite OK with no public celebrations at all?

Great if you're sitting on your butt watching tellie but not so good when the landlord is bangin' on for his rent, the taxman wants a cut and of course the rates.

Good for some, not so good for others but I'm not a killjoy so let's wave the flags but bear in mind, if your employer goes to the wall, you might not be able to afford the flags next time.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 7 2012, 09:59 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jun 7 2012, 10:21 PM) *
Great if you're sitting on your butt watching tellie but not so good when the landlord is bangin' on for his rent, the taxman wants a cut and of course the rates.

Good for some, not so good for others but I'm not a killjoy so let's wave the flags but bear in mind, if your employer goes to the wall, you might not be able to afford the flags next time.

Good!!

Being brutally honest its attitudes like this that make the pretty negative views many British people have about commerce. If your employer is really that bad - then you have qa big problem. Same old cliche trotted out every Christmas! I employ myself and a few others -we don't make a fortune - just a living, that's enough. Ever hear the Americans saying their businesses can't afflord Thanksgiving?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jun 7 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 7 2012, 10:59 PM) *
Good!!

Being brutally honest its attitudes like this that make the pretty negative views many British people have about commerce. If your employer is really that bad - then you have qa big problem. Same old cliche trotted out every Christmas! I employ myself and a few others -we don't make a fortune - just a living, that's enough. Ever hear the Americans saying their businesses can't afflord Thanksgiving?

Who said I have an employer. But, you will note that the thread was about an extra days holiday. All the bank holidays, the number of days we get a year can all be factored in. I'm not suggesting that one day is a problem, but add in the sickness, the pregnancy leave, father's leave and all the other reasons for taking the employees away from the workforce etc etc.

See where I'm coming from.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 8 2012, 07:14 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jun 7 2012, 11:14 PM) *
Who said I have an employer. But, you will note that the thread was about an extra days holiday. All the bank holidays, the number of days we get a year can all be factored in. I'm not suggesting that one day is a problem, but add in the sickness, the pregnancy leave, father's leave and all the other reasons for taking the employees away from the workforce etc etc.

See where I'm coming from.

Yes. However, using this celebration as a vehicle for that argument isn't appropriate. Mandated leave for other purposes is in the red tape and regulation box in my view. For this celebration, which along with the other traditional holidays aren't actually compulsory - you have a choice. Some sdhops and businesses actually opened. One of my customers had a skeleton shift going to get an urgent order out and no, his guys didn't even ask for extra. However, he's the type of manager who willl let them have unplanned time out if neccessary - give and take.

Maternity / paternity leave, sickness absence are 'compulsory' cash outs - as an employer you have no choice. Very different thing.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 8 2012, 09:29 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Maternity / paternity leave, sickness absence are 'compulsory' cash outs - as an employer you have no choice. Very different thing.

a bit like VAT.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 8 2012, 11:27 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 8 2012, 10:29 AM) *

a bit like VAT.

Similar, but VAT doesn't directly impact input significantly.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 8 2012, 11:50 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 8 2012, 12:27 PM) *
Similar, but VAT doesn't directly impact input significantly.

No, but you can't escape it. Cost of doing business.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:00 PM