IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What does litter on the A339 say about Newbury?
Sherlock
post Apr 10 2013, 05:19 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,467

As the drifts of litter on both sides of the dual carriageway in town get deeper by the day I wonder what message West Berkshire Council is trying to send to those arriving in our fair town.

Could it be that they want them to be impressed by the fact that they aren't spending taxpayer's money on trivial matters like clearing up litter?

Perhaps they're being brutally honest 'This is a pretty sh*t town, get used to it'

Or maybe the thinking is that any publicity is good publicity?

Is it a tourist attraction, arranged by our very own tourism officer? (Who knew we had one of those?! Great that we can afford one and a much better use of council tax payer money than cleaning our streets.)

The A339 isn't the only area of impressive litter build up but most of those visiting or passing through Newbury must drive along it and have a chance to marvel at the council's wisdom and foresight. Well done!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John C
post Apr 10 2013, 05:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,022

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Apr 10 2013, 06:19 PM) *
As the drifts of litter on both sides of the dual carriageway in town get deeper by the day I wonder what message West Berkshire Council is trying to send to those arriving in our fair town.

Could it be that they want them to be impressed by the fact that they aren't spending taxpayer's money on trivial matters like clearing up litter?

Perhaps they're being brutally honest 'This is a pretty sh*t town, get used to it'

Is it a tourist attraction, arranged by our very own tourism officer? (Who knew we had one of those?! Great that we can afford one and a much better use of council tax payer money than cleaning our streets.)

The A339 isn't the only area of impressive litter build up but most of those visiting or passing through Newbury must drive along it and have a chance to marvel at the council's wisdom and foresight. Well done!

They are paying for a service that they are not getting or it got cut in the budget cuts.

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Apr 10 2013, 06:30 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

"Welcome to the home of West Berkshire Council"

--------------------
Obnoxious possiby, VEXATIOUS definitely not.

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
GMR
post Apr 10 2013, 06:54 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

We are now officially poor.... Welcome to WBC's Newbury. Well, we have to be after paying top council employers £1.8 million and giving away land free.

+Quote Post
user23
post Apr 10 2013, 07:00 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Apr 10 2013, 06:19 PM) *

It think it says some people who live in, or travel through Newbury drop litter.

How about helping to organise a litter pick if you think it's a big issue?

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Apr 10 2013, 07:24 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Apr 10 2013, 05:19 PM) *

Maybe it is intended to encourage the to use the bypass next time they are 'passing through'.

I would have thought that there were enough 'clients' eligible for community service to do the litter picking required.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 10 2013, 07:41 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (user23 @ Apr 10 2013, 08:00 PM) *
It think it says some people who live in, or travel through Newbury drop litter.

How about helping to organise a litter pick if you think it's a big issue?

OK, am happy to do that. Andy C expressed an interest in another similar thread. Quite happy to organise one if you both confirm you'd take part. That.s a serious offer by the way.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 10 2013, 07:44 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Apr 10 2013, 08:24 PM) *
I would have thought that there were enough 'clients' eligible for community service to do the litter picking required.

That's an extremely good point. I wonder if anyone knows what really does get done on 'community service'? A quick tot up of the hours doshed out every month suggests we ought to be living in a well manicured paradise. Perhaps an enquiry of our councillors would be in order?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Apr 10 2013, 08:19 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 10 2013, 08:41 PM) *
OK, am happy to do that. Andy C expressed an interest in another similar thread. Quite happy to organise one if you both confirm you'd take part. That.s a serious offer by the way.

To be honest I've not really noticed it as I don't use the A339 that often and it's not a huge issue for me, but it clearly is for you so good on you for doing something about it and organising a litter pick.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Apr 10 2013, 09:18 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 10 2013, 08:41 PM) *

QUOTE (user23 @ Apr 10 2013, 09:19 PM) *
To be honest I've not really noticed it as I don't use the A339 that often and it's not a huge issue for me, but it clearly is for you so good on you for doing something about it and organising a litter pick.

Not a volunteer then.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 10 2013, 09:21 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

If enough people go on about it, it will encourage RG to get a letter in next weeks NWN. Then when it is cleared thanks to the Highways chaps litter picking schedule along that route, RG will be able to claim it was all thanks to his campaign.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 10 2013, 10:02 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 10 2013, 10:21 PM) *
If enough people go on about it, it will encourage RG to get a letter in next weeks NWN. Then when it is cleared thanks to the Highways chaps litter picking schedule along that route, RG will be able to claim it was all thanks to his campaign.

Perhaps some other politico could beat him to it? Or make a statement that it is about to be cleared; if what you say is true.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Apr 11 2013, 08:40 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Apr 10 2013, 10:18 PM) *
Not a volunteer then.

I'll do it if User does - he's dished out enough rubbish on here, it'll be nice to see him picking up a bit. tongue.gif

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 11 2013, 09:13 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 10 2013, 11:02 PM) *
Perhaps some other politico could beat him to it? Or make a statement that it is about to be cleared; if what you say is true.

who knows? should we place bets?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Apr 11 2013, 10:47 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 10 2013, 11:02 PM) *

They won't though will they, and to be fair to RG, he does get up and do things for the good of the district. Fine he takes credit, but why not?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 11 2013, 10:50 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Strafin @ Apr 11 2013, 11:47 AM) *
They won't though will they, and to be fair to RG, he does get up and do things for the good of the district. Fine he takes credit, but why not?

That's my point, although I am not completely sure it is for the good of the district. But even if my cynicism is correct, he's no worse than any other politico wink.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 11 2013, 10:54 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Apr 11 2013, 11:47 AM) *

That's a generous viewpoint....

he certainly like to take credit, and ensures everyone knows about it. I wonder how many others actually do make a difference locally but who don't feel the need to broadcast the fact.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 11 2013, 11:30 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 11 2013, 11:54 AM) *
That's a generous viewpoint....

he certainly like to take credit, and ensures everyone knows about it. I wonder how many others actually do make a difference locally but who don't feel the need to broadcast the fact.

Ahh, you've spotted what the previous CEO at WBC noticed on his departure - lack of leadership from the present incumbents. Not helped by our present CEO 'silent Nick' - who'd make Calvin Coolage look garrilous!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 11 2013, 11:32 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 11 2013, 12:30 PM) *
Ahh, you've spotted what the previous CEO at WBC noticed on his departure - lack of leadership from the present incumbents. Not helped by our present CEO 'silent Nick' - who'd make Calvin Coolage look garrilous!

you equate self promotion to a job well done.......

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 11 2013, 11:37 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 11 2013, 12:32 PM) *
you equate self promotion to a job well done.......

No, don't you understand the difference between management and leadership. I'll not explain, but any good commercial course has a module.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:28 PM