IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Insured' motors, Will the police PLEASE take some action?
Bloggo
post Aug 27 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 27 2009, 11:32 AM) *
Perhaps they should scrap the whole welfare system. No state pensions, no benefits etc.

Just be careful you don't suddenly find yourself in a position where you need them. Being hoisted by ones own petard can be rather painful. wink.gif

No, I don't think that the welfare system should be scrapped. it is a fundamental corner stone of our society and it is extremely important to us all.

If you contribute to the system financially you should be able to benefit from it.
If you are unable to contribute because of disablement or illness you should still be able to benefit.
If you are denied being able to work and contribute then you should benefit.

Those that don't contribute because they don't want to work or are drunks, drug addicts, overseas heath tourists etc etc should not be able to benefit.

I know that this is an over simplification but you get my drift.

--------------------
Bloggo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 27 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 27 2009, 11:32 AM) *
Perhaps they should scrap the whole welfare system. No state pensions, no benefits etc.

Just be careful you don't suddenly find yourself in a position where you need them. Being hoisted by ones own petard can be rather painful. wink.gif

Scrapping the welfare system would create more problems; just look at America. Millions of their citizens have no access to health care. Welfare payments are cut off after 5 years - that is 5 years in total over a life time- therefore crime is the only option. America is a capitalist society where wealth is rewarded and people at the poorer end are shunned.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 27 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 27 2009, 12:51 PM) *
Scrapping the welfare system would create more problems; just look at America. Millions of their citizens have no access to health care. Welfare payments are cut off after 5 years - that is 5 years in total over a life time- therefore crime is the only option. America is a capitalist society where wealth is rewarded and people at the poorer end are shunned.

According to you punishment in the answer to crime, not state hand outs.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 27 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 27 2009, 10:53 AM) *
How about a 10% increase in taxation to cover it?

How about a 10% increase in crimes solved and convictions handed out, and I'll think about it?

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 27 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 27 2009, 04:20 PM) *
How about a 10% increase in crimes solved and convictions handed out, and I'll think about it?
You want the 10% increase before you pay for it, on credit?

It seems that some still haven't learnt from the Credit Crunch.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 27 2009, 06:46 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 27 2009, 01:57 PM) *
According to you punishment in the answer to crime, not state hand outs.

Sorry Dannyboy I missed this.... I will answer now.

Correct on both accounts. Punish criminals.... but since when are people who reply on the welfare state criminals? Are you saying we can't have both? They are two different things with two different answers.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 27 2009, 07:46 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 27 2009, 07:46 PM) *
Sorry Dannyboy I missed this.... I will answer now.

Correct on both accounts. Punish criminals.... but since when are people who reply on the welfare state criminals? Are you saying we can't have both? They are two different things with two different answers.

You said that a lack of a welfare state in the USA was the reason for the high crime there. so, using reverse logic I assumed that you were in favour of handing out cash to folk to stop them, as a last resort, turning to crime. This, rather compasionate viewpoint, seems at odd with your normal answer of 'lock 'em up'.

Pulling folk out of the poverty trap will only benefit society as a whole. It is a win-win situation.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 27 2009, 08:02 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 27 2009, 05:38 PM) *
You want the 10% increase before you pay for it, on credit?

It seems that some still haven't learnt from the Credit Crunch.

No, I want to see proof of them doing the job in hand that I am paying for already before I start handing out bonuses. I am still skint from paying all the WBC staff to sit round doing nothing effective all day.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 27 2009, 08:51 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

You said that a lack of a welfare state in the USA was the reason for the high crime there. so, using reverse logic I assumed that you were in favour of handing out cash to folk to stop them, as a last resort, turning to crime. This, rather compasionate viewpoint, seems at odd with your normal answer of 'lock 'em up'.

What you say doesn’t make sense; it is true – in some cases – that a lack of welfare does force people to do anything to survive. If you were in a country where they were killing people because of your religion you would kill to survive... ordinary people trying to survive by any means possible. If I couldn’t get a job and I had no money I probably would turn to crime, as you would. That is totally different from people committing crime for the sake of it. Your argument is illogical.

Pulling folk out of the poverty trap will only benefit society as a whole. It is a win-win situation.

I agree... but cutting the welfare state won’t achieve that.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 27 2009, 09:46 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 27 2009, 09:02 PM) *
No, I want to see proof of them doing the job in hand that I am paying for already before I start handing out bonuses. I am still skint from paying all the WBC staff to sit round doing nothing effective all day.
You clearly stated you want them to produce 10% more results with the same resources before you'll give them any more money and now you've mentioned WBC for no reason at all.

This seems to be the totally unrealistic something for nothing attitude we see so often in today's society.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 28 2009, 07:23 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Seems to me that Strafin's 'deliver 10% more and we'll pay you more' is exactly how things should work. Indeed thats just what the Government are trying to do in their sectors. If you are a good hospital, and can achieve far more with the money you have been trusted with, then you get more. Not an old principal - think it even gets mentioned in the Bible!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 28 2009, 08:32 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 27 2009, 10:46 PM) *
You clearly stated you want them to produce 10% more results with the same resources before you'll give them any more money and now you've mentioned WBC for no reason at all.

This seems to be the totally unrealistic something for nothing attitude we see so often in today's society.

I read Strafin's post differently. In fact he is asking for the money we spend now to be used effectively before agreeing to pay more.
Not unreasonable I think.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Aug 28 2009, 08:43 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 28 2009, 09:32 AM) *
I read Strafin's post differently. In fact he is asking for the money we spend now to be used effectively before agreeing to pay more.
Not unreasonable I think.

Yes, that's the way I read it too, seems like common sense to me.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 28 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sarah @ Aug 28 2009, 09:43 AM) *
Yes, that's the way I read it too, seems like common sense to me.

Seems that User 23 didn't understand?
Also the shot at the Council staff isn't entirely without grounds. There a lot of staff there that do a good job however there are those that are lazy and workshy and are abusing their positions.
I think the "working from home" culture is wasting tax payers money.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 28 2009, 09:15 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 28 2009, 09:58 AM) *
I think the "working (our kid is on school holiday and the missus works/we are having something delivered/my word that was a session and half last night) from home" culture is wasting tax payers money.

Edited for accuracy! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 28 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 28 2009, 10:15 AM) *
Edited for accuracy! wink.gif

Yes, something on those lines.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 28 2009, 09:23 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 28 2009, 09:58 AM) *
Seems that User 23 didn't understand?
Also the shot at the Council staff isn't entirely without grounds. There a lot of staff there that do a good job however there are those that are lazy and workshy and are abusing their positions.
I think the "working from home" culture is wasting tax payers money.

User understands full well.... he just enjoys playing games. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 28 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Whilst I don't work for the council, working at home can be far more productive than being in the office. You don't get disturbed by people just popping by etc. it's especially true when working on something very detailed or complex and any disruption is unwanted.

Those who complain about it tend to be those who are somehow jealous of those who can.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 28 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I think my council tax is very reasonable and excellent value for money that is well spent.

I would willingly pay more - they only have to ask!

Oh, hold on, they do that already. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Aug 28 2009, 09:28 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

Talking of felons, was reading some of the smallprint in an insurance policy not so long ago - household contents, I think, and it said in there that the policy holder must inform the insurance company if anyone living in the house has a criminal record. Not that we have any crims in our house, unless the newly arrived kitten has a record we don't know about yet laugh.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 01:12 PM