Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Streetlife, Who are they?
JeffG
post Nov 14 2014, 04:46 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

I had some post today addressed to "The lovely person who lives at...", which put me on my guard straight away. It was an invitation to join an organisation called Streetlife who call themselves "the local social network".

It says it's "handy for sharing practical information like crime alerts, lost pets and community events, and for exchanging skills, belongings and recommendations with locals."

Has anyone received similar, or does anyone know any more about this organisation? I am sure it cannot be completely altruistic.

PS: I have just tried to wade through their Terms and Conditions and it pretty much needs a solicitor to check it out smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Nov 14 2014, 05:05 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

Yep, we got one too.

I haven't opened it yet. The wife might think it's for her!! wink.gif

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Nov 14 2014, 09:04 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (JeffG @ Nov 14 2014, 05:46 PM) *
I had some post today addressed to "The lovely person who lives at...", which put me on my guard straight away. It was an invitation to join an organisation called Streetlife who call themselves "the local social network".

It says it's "handy for sharing practical information like crime alerts, lost pets and community events, and for exchanging skills, belongings and recommendations with locals."

Has anyone received similar, or does anyone know any more about this organisation? I am sure it cannot be completely altruistic.

PS: I have just tried to wade through their Terms and Conditions and it pretty much needs a solicitor to check it out smile.gif

Their Website says who they are....

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Nov 14 2014, 09:39 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Nov 14 2014, 09:04 PM) *
Their Website says who they are....

Well, I obviously went to their web site, which is where I found the terms and conditions I posted the link to! I was sort of looking for an independent opinion.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Nov 15 2014, 12:22 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Looks kinda like Facebook for folks who don't get out much.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Nov 15 2014, 10:28 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Cynic that I am, my first thought was "What's in it for them?". I can foresee being bombarded with spam advertising.

I don't think this lovely person will be joining up.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Nov 15 2014, 01:36 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (JeffG @ Nov 14 2014, 04:46 PM) *

So did I - they obviously don't know us wink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 15 2014, 03:39 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (JeffG @ Nov 15 2014, 10:28 AM) *
Cynic that I am, my first thought was "What's in it for them?". I can foresee being bombarded with spam advertising.

I don't think this lovely person will be joining up.

I think you are probably spot on and as they'll know full postcodes, your letter box won't be immune either!

Yesterday saw the demise of some Reading based papers. It seems local newspapers are being hit by a massive drop in sales more so than national ones. Perhaps this is an attempt to fill the gap so to speak.

Just an observation, running websites doesn't come for free, even if the overall cost is fairly minimal. So without paid for newsprint, would you be willing to sign up to a paid for service?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Nov 15 2014, 08:20 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,763

QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 15 2014, 03:39 PM) *
Just an observation, running websites doesn't come for free, even if the overall cost is fairly minimal. So without paid for newsprint, would you be willing to sign up to a paid for service?

I think I would, but it would be cost dependant, and I'd want the content to be up to date rather than lag behind the printed version as is currently (mostly) the case.

Do you by any chance work for the NWN?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 15 2014, 09:27 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Lolly @ Nov 15 2014, 08:20 PM) *
I think I would, but it would be cost dependant, and I'd want the content to be up to date rather than lag behind the printed version as is currently (mostly) the case.

Do you by any chance work for the NWN?

No, can't you tell? NWN is generally unbiased and logical!

I am genuinely interested. Without independent local reporting accessible by all, any hope fir local democracy disappears. Yes, the future for local news is on-line, but how do you fund the reporters? Possibly by advertising, but that source has to be diminishing because on-line users are more likely than not to use a search engine for their needs.

If we really want a sense of community, we do need some real political leadership and to balance that a strong independent 'voice'. A local Facebook page exists, it serves a need but is really and rightly concerned with the minutia of everyday living and nostalgia.

Could we get NWN to turn the gas up on this forum for instance? To enhance it would in my view mean having editorials and perhaps some more structured debate / questioning. Therein lies a cost!

I have glanced at a local on line news outlet, 'The Guildford Dragon' -.which is independent, employs people, free, BUT could be spiced up to give it more credibility and thus subscribers.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Nov 16 2014, 03:59 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

Yes, I had the same thing delivered on Friday. I will not be joining as I am finding it hard work and at times quite tedious to be as obnoxious as I am on the sites that I am a member of.

--------------------
Obnoxious possiby, VEXATIOUS definitely not.

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Nov 17 2014, 01:20 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Nov 15 2014, 12:22 AM) *
Looks kinda like Facebook for folks who don't get out much.

As opposed to those who do get out much, but then spend their time while they are out looking at Facebook on their phones. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Nov 18 2014, 08:48 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Nov 19 2014, 12:19 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (JeffG @ Nov 14 2014, 04:46 PM) *

Friend had one of these through.
A supplier wrote "not known at this address" on it laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:10 AM