IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Greenham Control Tower Campaign, Would you like to help??
Richard Garvie
post Oct 14 2012, 09:46 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say that I am going to be hosting a meeting on the possibility of a campaign to save Greenham Control Tower as some kind of public facility, operated by a trust or similar organisation. I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has an interest in the building, and what possible uses the building could have going forward. My own idea is for a visitor centre / cafe with classrooms but that may change as the project develops.

I will be speaking to other interested parties who want to see the building kept for public use and that may result in a wider, community plan for the building.

I can be contacted on:

07411 488324 or richard.garvie@googlemail.com

Best Wishes,

Richard
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Oct 14 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 14 2012, 10:46 AM) *
Hi All,

Just a quick note to say that I am going to be hosting a meeting on the possibility of a campaign to save Greenham Control Tower as some kind of public facility, operated by a trust or similar organisation. I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has an interest in the building, and what possible uses the building could have going forward. My own idea is for a visitor centre / cafe with classrooms but that may change as the project develops.

I will be speaking to other interested parties who want to see the building kept for public use and that may result in a wider, community plan for the building.

I reckon it could be used to broadcast community radio - nice and high with good coverage likely. Plus it could be used as a self-funded community activity centre.........

By the way 'Save the Tower'? Is it/has it ever been under threat?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 14 2012, 01:42 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Save it from being sold off as a private building. There is various potential uses for the building, I just think we need a facility that preserves the heritage of the site and add something new to the Common.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 14 2012, 03:05 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Not a bad idea. Could certainly be a local attraction, bit like the 'Look Out' at Bracknell. Having a local meeting point would be a great community benefit and if we widened the horizon, could this be a place to meet for people who work from home? Or indeed, just want an inexpensive 'feature' place to drop in and meet a few people? We could also do with some real community meeting space round here for evenings.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Oct 14 2012, 09:09 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

I can see a number of stumbling blocks, access, cost of refurbishment, change of use, isolation, vandalism. it's a nice little soundbite but I would want to see costings, business plans, main supporters etc before I get excited.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 15 2012, 05:02 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Oct 14 2012, 10:09 PM) *
I can see a number of stumbling blocks, access, cost of refurbishment, change of use, isolation, vandalism. it's a nice little soundbite but I would want to see costings, business plans, main supporters etc before I get excited.

I'm certainly up to explore the possibilities, which would inevitably mean doing just as you say. Would you be willing too as well; business cases are always best when all of these options are considered?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Oct 15 2012, 07:30 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 15 2012, 06:02 AM) *
I'm certainly up to explore the possibilities, which would inevitably mean doing just as you say. Would you be willing too as well; business cases are always best when all of these options are considered?

Personally I like it as it is, a ghostly and silent witness to the past.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 15 2012, 09:21 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Oct 15 2012, 07:30 AM) *
Personally I like it as it is, a ghostly and silent witness to the past.

That won't be an option as the building is up for sale.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 15 2012, 10:57 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

It would make a very good community project and I suspect something for everyone. From a memorial to a sustainability centre.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Oct 15 2012, 10:59 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

Hi All,

I can be contacted on:

Best Wishes,

Richard

As a grade 2 listed I would imagine it would be both expensive and tricky to take it on and I would be opposed to the idea of council grants for the job.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Oct 15 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 15 2012, 10:21 AM) *
That won't be an option as the building is up for sale.

Unless, of course, it's purchased by someone who then wants to leave it as a ghostly and silent witness to the past.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 15 2012, 12:15 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

It has been up for sale for ages.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 15 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 15 2012, 01:15 PM) *
It has been up for sale for ages.

The fact that it is up for sale is more a reflection of WBC's desire to rid themselves of a maintenance problem that any real likelihood of it being snapped up by a would be resident. Perhaps they would let a community trust have it on a long lease at a peppercorn rent in return for the trust taking on the maintenance. It would still require a hefty sum to turn it into something useful.

Some sort of attraction or community centre sounds a good use for the building, but I worry that its remote location would mean it got little use and would struggle to be self-supporting.

Similarly I fear the new cafe at Snelsmore is unlikely to last very long - though I hope I'm wrong and wish the proprietors the best of luck.

+Quote Post
Rowley Birkin
post Oct 16 2012, 06:59 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,717

how much work is needed to pass health and safety checks for buildings open to the public.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Oct 16 2012, 08:15 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

As I remember, WBC long held an ambition to turn the Tower into an information Centre for the Common - history, flora & fauna, cafe, etc. The costs were phenomenal and the business case did not pan out.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 16 2012, 08:54 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (blackdog @ Oct 15 2012, 01:52 PM) *
The fact that it is up for sale is more a reflection of WBC's desire to rid themselves of a maintenance problem that any real likelihood of it being snapped up by a would be resident. Perhaps they would let a community trust have it on a long lease at a peppercorn rent in return for the trust taking on the maintenance. It would still require a hefty sum to turn it into something useful.

Some sort of attraction or community centre sounds a good use for the building, but I worry that its remote location would mean it got little use and would struggle to be self-supporting.

Similarly I fear the new cafe at Snelsmore is unlikely to last very long - though I hope I'm wrong and wish the proprietors the best of luck.

Exactly - it is a white elephant.

The council don't want it & have no use for it & no-one else is interested in buying it.

Leasing it to a 'community trust' is just another way of getting the council to pay for renovating / maintaining it.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Oct 16 2012, 10:22 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 16 2012, 09:54 AM) *
Leasing it to a 'community trust' is just another way of getting the council to pay for renovating / maintaining it.

Too true - charge a lease fee (trumpeted as new income) make a grant from an existing budget (hide the cost from the funding body - the tax payer)

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Oct 16 2012, 11:31 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Hi All,

I can be contacted on:

Best Wishes,

Richard

I'me still interested in where you plan to use for the radio station, you never did answer!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 16 2012, 04:11 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Penelope @ Oct 16 2012, 11:31 AM) *
I'me still interested in where you plan to use for the radio station, you never did answer!

We have a meeting soon to appoint a steering group, at the moment we are trying to find somewhere in Newbury or Thatcham town centre that is cheap and easily accessible.

Wherever the station is based, easy access is key and the Common certainly isn't suitable. Nice idea though!!!

As for leasing the control tower, there are various funding schemes to apply to for community facilities so the council wouldn't have to pay a penny. If that option was explored, the building would once again be an asset at no cost to the authority, maybe a small grant each year towards running costs.

The council are clear that the building must be sold. The cost of building works are forecasted to be around 250-300k to make it useable, with alterations on top. It all depends on how much value we place on the importance of the site I guess.

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Oct 16 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Thanks for that, I don't think it has every been an asset (in the community sense) and spending that sort of figure on a building so far away from the center of the community would be (again in my view) nonsensical. If any one did buy it it would still have to be preserved owing to it's grade two listing.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:29 PM