Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vodafone PAYG call charges up 20%
Andy Capp
post Oct 18 2013, 03:16 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

I have received notice that call charges using my PAYG Vodafone SIM are to rise 20% to 30p a minute. Rip-off. Giffgaff here I come.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
motormad
post Oct 18 2013, 03:18 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Ah yes, because it costs 20% more to make phone calls.

Oh wait, no it doesn't.

They obviously are trying to get people onto contracts and I feel will just push away their customer base who are on PAYG. You should get a 20% discount living in Newbury and letting them all earn millions tax free.

B*stards.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 18 2013, 03:57 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Think, Giffgaff charge 10p a minute for the same thing. Presumably there's some profit in there, so just imagine the profit from 30p a minute!

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Oct 18 2013, 04:20 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

I left Vodafone and switched to T-Mobile, precisely because their attitude towards their existing customers is so dreadful. For example, I managed to lose a broadband stick halfway into a 18 month contract and instead of replacing it for free, which is the reasonable thing to do given how relatively inexpensive they are, I had to buy another one. Not only that but the software on the one that I bought was designed for PAYG so I also had to download new drivers from the Vodafone website, which is also a terrible website when it comes to setting things out in a clear and unambiguous way.

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Oct 18 2013, 04:30 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

Swapped to GiffGaff from a Vodafone contract a while back - very pleased with it, much better and cheaper service and the support available from their forums is excellent. Largely changed because of the poor Voda signal in this part of Newbury but other relatives use GiffGaff and it's good to have free calls to them. Another factor in the switch was a very poor upgrade offer from Vodafone - I think they want to ditch UK domestic customers altogether.

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Oct 18 2013, 04:30 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

Swapped to GiffGaff from a Vodafone contract a while back - very pleased with it, much better and cheaper service and the support available from their forums is excellent. Largely changed because of the poor Voda signal in this part of Newbury but other relatives use GiffGaff and it's good to have free calls to them. Another factor in the switch was a very poor upgrade offer from Vodafone - I think they want to ditch UK domestic customers altogether.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 18 2013, 07:55 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Oct 18 2013, 05:20 PM) *
I left Vodafone and switched to T-Mobile, precisely because their attitude towards their existing customers is so dreadful. For example, I managed to lose a broadband stick halfway into a 18 month contract and instead of replacing it for free, which is the reasonable thing to do given how relatively inexpensive they are, I had to buy another one. Not only that but the software on the one that I bought was designed for PAYG so I also had to download new drivers from the Vodafone website, which is also a terrible website when it comes to setting things out in a clear and unambiguously.

Yes, their website is a 'cluster ferk'. They are expensive, and not particularly good coverage, also their data costs are also very uncompetitive. There was a time that they were the one to have, but now that is not the case and their tariffs haven't acknowledged it yet.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 18 2013, 11:02 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Vodafone charge more, but the staff get looked after and receive lots of benefits. It is a good example of private sector workers getting big rewards for little effort, just like in the public sector. However as demonstrated on this thread you are free to not be a customer of Vodafone.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Oct 18 2013, 11:31 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I am friends with a guy who works for Vodafone.
He has told me that they are making a large push for the business side of things over the personal contract aspect of the business.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 19 2013, 08:30 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Oct 19 2013, 12:02 AM) *
Vodafone charge more, but the staff get looked after and receive lots of benefits. It is a good example of private sector workers getting big rewards for little effort, just like in the public sector. However as demonstrated on this thread you are free to not be a customer of Vodafone.

I doubt VERY much that their staff have just received a 20% increase. Nah, relying on past laurels, Vodafone, I have been happy to pay a bit more but not now.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 19 2013, 10:02 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 18 2013, 04:16 PM) *
I have received notice that call charges using my PAYG Vodafone SIM are to rise 20% to 30p a minute. Rip-off. Giffgaff here I come.

Tesco Mobile are pretty competitive too.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 19 2013, 12:25 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 19 2013, 11:02 AM) *
Tesco Mobile are pretty competitive too.

Yes, I agree. Their coverage around here better too. Indeed, I know people that have moved away from Vodafone due to poor reception round here. BTW - mines generally OK, but we have a problem in our living room, of all places.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 19 2013, 01:27 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Both Tesco and Giff-gaff use the O2 network.

+Quote Post
CBW137Y
post Oct 19 2013, 02:16 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223

I, a recently former Vodafone employee of some thirteen years, have switched to Giffgaff. LOVE THEM!! Great bundles, and if something goes wrong, you're looked after as a customer. Can't fault them!

Please don't think Vodafone staff are THAT well looked after; unless you like being a statistic. Great benefit packages, yes, but you're not really an individual anymore; just a headcount figure.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Oct 19 2013, 03:04 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Which can be said of any large multinational corporation.

I find O2 coverage to be shi*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Oct 19 2013, 06:27 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Said the Times technology correspondent today.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 19 2013, 06:54 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I have come to understand that there are several variables at play. I find the phone has as much to do with it as anything. Simple phones are better 'phones' than smartphones for reception, but not only that but even with same models you have a variance. Also different areas have different receptions from different providers.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Oct 19 2013, 07:22 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

I had a chat with a Vodafone caller about a week ago. The 18 month contract was coming to an end.
I expressed no interest in a new phone, smart or otherwise. I get great reception 6 foot underground.
Handy for end of days moments.

He and I both got bored and by default I think I have signed up to another term.
Last time I got another handset which is still in the box.

Down in Newbury last week I had fine reception in the Burghclere area.
It does seem strange that an area of the country as important as the M4 corridor has such poor reception.
Especially in a 'sitting room near you'. Maybe the structure of the Layzeebuoy affects the signal wub.gif
ce

Hmmm that little red faced gizmo is new to me.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 19 2013, 08:13 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Oct 19 2013, 08:22 PM) *
I had a chat with a Vodafone caller about a week ago. The 18 month contract was coming to an end.
I expressed no interest in a new phone, smart or otherwise. I get great reception 6 foot underground.

He and I both got bored and by default I think I have signed up to another term.
Last time I got another handset which is still in the box.

Down in Newbury last week I had fine reception in the Burghclere area.
It does seem strange that an area of the country as important as the M4 corridor has such poor reception.
Especially in a 'sitting room near you'. Maybe the structure of the Layzeebuoy affects the signal wub.gif
ce

Hmmm that little red faced gizmo is new to me.

Clearly, as that particular one is meant to represent an expression of one's love! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 19 2013, 08:38 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Oct 19 2013, 08:22 PM) *
I get great reception 6 foot underground.

That's great CE, does this mean we will get postings from you ...ahem.... for ever, so to speak?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:51 PM