IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Public service annoucment., Winter - ARE YOU READY?
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Dec 5 2011, 10:48 AM
Post #1

Guests

Not a random rant but as someone who got hypothermia and blacked out last year because my car broke down (a crappy Vauxhall not the awesome VW I have now) I feel it would be mean not to give some pointers. If even 1 person benefits from something I say then my job is complete. You may think "it'll never happen to me", and I used to think that. Until as I said I got hypothermia.

With the onset of winter approaching with frosty mornings and possible snow, many people don't bother to think about their car so I thought I'd share a couple of pointers.

What to carry

Carry blankets in the boot. If you have a couple of old jackets and a big blanket, throw them in the boot, along with a bottle of sugary drink, such as Coke or Fanta or Sunny D, Poweraid is a good idea; and a bottle of water. Don't carry booze (yes Andy Capp I'm looking at you rolleyes.gif) If you buy packets of sweeties or those brunch bars that come in boxes of 4, put one in your car for every box/packet. You want to have some food which is good in nutrients, high carbs and has sugar, so at the least you'd want to have some of those little sachets of gel-food that athletes have, a few bars of chocolate, some crisps, dried fruit, oatmeal bars, whatever. Basically you need snacky tyres of food to sustain yourself for a couple of days and between the chocolate and oatmeal bars you'd be OK.

You and your car
Winters are harsh on cars. Several things you should check - wipers - make sure they clear the screen without leaving streaky marks as this would mean the wipers have likely perished. They are a couple of quid from Tescos or the Bosch ones are around £35 for a set front and rear for most cars. If they are leaving streaky marks the first thing to try is a damp cloth - lift your wipers up and wipe along the blade. You'll probably find the cloth gets all black from dirt, this can affect the cleaning.
Vision is everything.

Secondly make sure you have a good screenwash which has anti-freeze in it. Halfords sell this for £5 a bottle of 5L which will fill most cars washer bottles up twice from empty. If you do buy from Halfords buy the orange one not the blue one as the blue one is rubbish. If you just use water not only could this lead to Legionnaires disease (yes this is not a myth) but also means that it'll be useless in winter when the salt means your windscreen gets dirty. Also if the water bottle has frozen this can damage the seam joints causing leaks, additionally it can ruin your washer pump.

Next is ANTI FREEZE in your coolant. With a low concentration of anti-freeze or just water, it'll likely not have the protection needed to avoid freezing at -5, -6 or below. This not only means that there will not be water pumping around your engine but if water freezes inside the cooling jackets in the engine, you could be looking at a costly repair bill. Water when frozen expands and believe me when I say that it will expand whether there is steel surrounding it or not. It will crack pipes within the engine which may not damage it immediately but could cause water and oil contamination in the future. You want at least 50/50 anti freeze. If you have a VW you need to use G12 coolant available from VW dealers.

Next along is tyres. If you aren't using winter tyres, you should. But if you aren't, consider carrying some snow-socks/snow chains incase you get stuck. Leave them in the boot so you don't look like a moron driving around with them on normally. Check your tyre pressures, you can find recommended pressures online or usually on the drivers door sill, inside the fuel cap, or in the owners handbook. Sainsburys are kind enough to offer a free airline to pump up tyres so USE IT. Unlike most supermarket tyre pumps it's actually accurate to about 0.8PSI over my professional tyre gauge I use at home.

If there is a large amount of snow on the ground, or it's very slushy, you can decrease your tyre pressures to increase footprint, this increasing grip. Say you run 32psi normally, try running at 25-26. This would only be a good idea if you're mainly driving around town. If you have a long motorway journey it's probably not a good idea. Talking of tyres, check your tread depth. For driving in snow, imagine it's standing water so your tread depth is ever more important. You want at least 3.5mm for winter use.

Also don't drink and drive. laugh.gif I got randomly pulled for a stop check on Saturday night, breathalysed and everything.

Also if you happen to see a silver VW Golf with orange wheels don't forget to wave
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Dec 5 2011, 05:07 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,171

If you have space in the boot xjay. Woofer and all

I don't commute by car. I did however travel to a hamlet in Derbyshire for a funeral for a friend.
(Run Elton John).
Mid December 2010 when the snows came down. Fairly easy up the M1,
rather nice countryside after turning off. I had bunged a shovel in the back of the car and a bedthrow.
Brilliant journey up.Never thought about food though.Took about 3 hours to get there and book into the hotel.

On the way back the snow had covered everything by morning.
I decided to follow the roads to Buxton and via Chatsworth
thinking I might get a photo. I could barely leave the village which has a hillside.
Back wheel drive doesn't help..
I had to let the car down to the bottom of the hill,and go up on the otherside.

A descender very kindly let me pass. Took about 9 hours to get back home
Roads were closed because of accidents.

Sadly the family couldn't do the crematorium that day Because of the snow. Such is life.
His son spent 4 hours stopped on the M25 trying to get to Croydon.

So xjay we should be more aware. I endorse that.
ce

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 5 2011, 05:27 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Dec 5 2011, 10:48 AM) *
If there is a large amount of snow on the ground, or it's very slushy, you can decrease your tyre pressures to increase footprint, this increasing grip. Say you run 32psi normally, try running at 25-26.

I've read that the tyre pressure should always be what ever the manufacturers recommended pressure is. Deflation is sometimes used to get out of a stuck situation, but should not be used for driving.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Dec 5 2011, 05:59 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Runflats? Computer says no.
ce

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 5 2011, 06:31 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Dec 5 2011, 05:59 PM) *
Runflats? Computer says no.
ce

Runflats being used while 'flat' is so that one can get to a safe place, not to use instead of a properly inflated tyre.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Dec 5 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Correct .But they are tyresomly expensive to replace.
ce

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Dec 5 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 5 2011, 05:27 PM) *
I've read that the tyre pressure should always be what ever the manufacturers recommended pressure is. Deflation is sometimes used to get out of a stuck situation, but should not be used for driving.

That is true although believe it or not the tyre manufacturer or vehicle manufacturer doesn't always know best! For example on my old Street Triple R, recommended were something like 36/38. Were as 32psi front and 33psi rear gave a much better handling, more responsive, stable bike. VW for my car say 32/32 but I run 36/36 as it handles better, has better MPG and the tyres wear is unaffected from what I can tell (and i've gone through 3 sets!) As I mentioned running around with 26psi in your tyres while isn't dangerous can cause excess wear and noise and loss of MPG at higher speeds, which is why i suggested only doing it when driving around town.

Runflats are daft; so uncomfortable compared to "normal" tyres. angry.gif

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Dec 5 2011, 09:30 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Runflats.....
Afraid that's a BMW topic. Along with the I- drive.
Write to Jeremy. Whilst the motor was in for an oil change.
I had the use of the Bosses M5. I kept to the speed limit.(A bit)

Mine is a grown up persons version without the M.
After 6 years I have discovered sport mode. And I make
dust of golfs with orange wheeeels at traffic lights !.
Manual is even scarier,that gives motorbikes a wake up . Good car.
ce. (Size isn't everything but it is fun.)

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Dec 5 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Anyway that is not the point of xjays post.. Clear out the junk from the boot and keep something warm there.
A friend,M/F would be handy.
Failing that a rug just in case. maybe an empty pop bottle for gents.
I guess ladies might have to....unmentionable. But I am sure it will be on youtube.

Sorry you became poorly xjay after a spell of hypothermia..
After my 9 hour journey from Derbyshire I ground to a halt 60' above ground on the Westway.
I expected that that was it for the night,but gradual movement and I was tucked up in bed an hour later.

Going to a funeral in the Derby Dales, staying in a nice pub, caught in the worst blizzard of the time.
(It was worse elsewhere). That was my holiday last year!
So put a rug or a man in the boot! And a shovel to smack him with just in case.
ce.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Dec 6 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Dec 5 2011, 11:10 PM) *
I guess ladies might have to....unmentionable. But I am sure it will be on youtube.

Will be the only time they make use of that bloody she-wee.

So put a rug or a man in the boot! And a shovel to smack him with just in case.
ce.

What happens if you put a man and a shovel in the boot, and he uses the shovel to attack you? You'd have a problem. Probably a better idea to keep the shovel in the passenger compartment.

ps am jealous you had the chance for an M5! they are amazing cars, can only be my dream.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Dec 6 2011, 07:47 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Snow socks biggrin.gif

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/car-snow-socks/

Can't speak for them myself as when it snows, out come the boots and the car says put, but those who have them, swear by them.

Don't wait for the snow to fall though before ordering.

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Dec 6 2011, 12:19 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Dec 5 2011, 10:48 AM) *
Also if you happen to see a silver VW Golf with orange wheels don't forget to wave

Sorry but if I saw a VW golf with orange wheels the last thing I would do is wave, burst out laughing would be a more appropriate response!

Thanks for the tips though, one more I would add is if it is a white out only travel if essential. Try to avoid nipping up to Tesco to do donuts!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Dec 6 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #13

Guests

I think it looks good sad.gif

That's the reason I painted them orange, brighten everyone's day up a little laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Dec 6 2011, 01:23 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Dec 6 2011, 12:51 PM) *

That's the reason I painted them orange, brighten everyone's day up a little laugh.gif

Er no!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy20HpzruDo...be_gdata_player

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Dec 6 2011, 01:33 PM
Post #15

Guests

It's only for winter! My car never cries it's treated well. I give it a good wax and handjob every weekend, often more in the week. We all have urges.
to clean the car.

Everyone on ukmkivs.net likes it sad.gif

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Dec 6 2011, 01:46 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

They look ok for hanging out in. Certainly no worse than the Cadillac that is trying to look like a Roller.
Some years ago the new 5 series was greeted with derision. The Estate version is ubiquitous now.
Certainly a lot more attractive than some family MPVs.

Back to snow, and this is back to 1963. The last real spot of bad weather. Mother used to fit chains on the wheels.
And then had to hand crank the Wolsely. I was young then and obviously not a lot of help. I was in schoolshorts
and aertex shirt. Not exactly Scott of the Highclere valley. Once up Penwood hill I had to get out and walk in front of the car with a torch because of fog. I was a weekly boarder at the time. The Headmaster rang mother and said
we'll look after ce this weekend. The weather is too bad for you to travel.
I had a really good time and became a full time boarder from then.

We take things too easily these days because of heated seats, aircon, satnav.
ce

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 6 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Dec 6 2011, 01:51 PM) *

I think it's a contender for here! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Dec 6 2011, 01:57 PM
Post #18

Guests

sad.gif no. My car is OEM+ as I call it. Although come to mention it, some neons and one of those duberrywotsits that stick onto the top of the boot seem like good upgrades?

+Quote Post
Darren
post Dec 7 2011, 02:58 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Dec 6 2011, 01:33 PM) *
I give it a good wax and handjob every weekend, often more in the week.

Waxs on, whacks off??? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Dec 7 2011, 07:30 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

After last year, and being snowjacked myself. This cold wind is cold.
Put something in the boot to keep warm when it grinds to a halt.
A person .. was just a gag, but not a bad idea. Who would you like to keep warm with in the boot?
Don't even think about starting a list. That is for less inititelligmeunt forums!
The shovel would probably be useless.
Watching Ice Cold in Alex for the Nth time Snow and Sand are much the same.
Still The last glass did look good.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:39 PM