> Help me stop the Pavilion
Richard Garvie
post Mar 9 2011, 02:36 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Mar 9 2011, 02:27 PM) *
I was under the impression the idea of the Pavillion was to get more people into the park by turning over a small part of it to an improved cafe/al fresco restaurant, performance venue etc etc.

You've been misbriefed then!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Mar 9 2011, 02:37 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (massifheed @ Mar 9 2011, 02:35 PM) *
Pretty much anything recreational, it would seem...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavilion_(structure)

I'm not against it as such. But unless it's going to be park related, I think it should go elsewhere.

I think it a good idea but I don't think it should be built in Victoria park either.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 9 2011, 02:38 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Mar 9 2011, 02:37 PM) *
I think it a good idea but I don't think it should be built in Victoria park either.

This is the general view of people I speak to. Let's move it into the town, but just not the park.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 9 2011, 03:04 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (massifheed @ Mar 9 2011, 02:35 PM) *
Pretty much anything recreational, it would seem...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavilion_(structure)

I'm not against it as such. But unless it's going to be park related, I think it should go elsewhere.

Sitting in the park, Pimms, Lemonade Ice & a Slice listening to a live music performance on a summers evening, glancing over at the canal, waiter bringing ones supper over.....

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 9 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Mar 9 2011, 03:04 PM) *
Sitting in the park, Pimms, Lemonade Ice & a Slice listening to a live music performance on a summers evening, glancing over at the canal, waiter bringing ones supper over.....

You paint a nice picture. I'd still rather it was built elsewhere.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 9 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 9 2011, 04:13 PM) *
You paint a nice picture. I'd still rather it was built elsewhere.

I think my nice picture would be well supported...

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 9 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Mar 9 2011, 04:16 PM) *
I think my nice picture would be well supported...

Not amogst the park users it won't!!!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 9 2011, 04:26 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 9 2011, 04:23 PM) *
Not amogst the park users it won't!!!

They will be park users.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 9 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Mar 9 2011, 04:26 PM) *
They will be park users.

Great argument, let's kick out the existing users and bring in new ones. Didn't you say earlier your view was that the council were doing this to INCREASE park useage?

Look, I totally support bring New Greenham Arts into town, but it has to be the right location. By combining it with the museum, it makes a lot more sense. And that wasn't a Garvie idea either, I've seen it suggested a number of times so I looked into the viability. It can work, but only if the council dare think outside of the box!!!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 9 2011, 04:37 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 9 2011, 04:31 PM) *
Great argument, let's kick out the existing users and bring in new ones. Didn't you say earlier your view was that the council were doing this to INCREASE park useage?

Look, I totally support bring New Greenham Arts into town, but it has to be the right location. By combining it with the museum, it makes a lot more sense. And that wasn't a Garvie idea either, I've seen it suggested a number of times so I looked into the viability. It can work, but only if the council dare think outside of the box!!!

Kicking out existing users?

Who is suggesting that? The area taken up by any 'pavillion' is relatively small & will in no way preclude the use of the other areas of the park by those that use it now, in the way they use it now.

How can you sit outside on a summers eve & listen to a music performance is the Arts Centre is behind the museum? Are you suggesting everyone sit in the beer garden of the Berkshire arms?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 9 2011, 04:39 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Mar 9 2011, 04:37 PM) *
Kicking out existing users?

Who is suggesting that? The area taken up by any 'pavillion' is relatively small & will in no way preclude the use of the other areas of the park by those that use it now, in the way they use it now.

How can you sit outside on a summers eve & listen to a music performance is the Arts Centre is behind the museum? Are you suggesting everyone sit in the beer garden of the Berkshire arms?

Since when was al fresco restaurant dining in the park become a must have? Maybe the replacement arts centre could be just that!!! Aren't we supposed to be promoting market square and the units under the cinema rather than opening additional restaurants?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 9 2011, 04:46 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 9 2011, 04:39 PM) *
Since when was al fresco restaurant dining in the park become a must have? Maybe the replacement arts centre could be just that!!! Aren't we supposed to be promoting market square and the units under the cinema rather than opening additional restaurants?

It isn't a must have, but desirable.

The units under the cinema, hmmm, wonder why they are still empty?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 9 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Mar 9 2011, 04:46 PM) *
It isn't a must have, but desirable.

The units under the cinema, hmmm, wonder why they are still empty?

That's not the point though, the point is we have various units available for eateries, why create another. It's a bit like the sequential test, if there are plenty of suitable units within the town centre for a TESCO for example, why would you allow one to be built out side of the town centre?

As for the arts centre as a whole, what reasons can you give for it being included in the park?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 9 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 9 2011, 02:05 PM) *
How many people would think a pavilion would be an arts centre???

I expected the original pavilion would have had a cafe, stores (for boats, maintenance equipment, etc), changing rooms and public toilets. And I thought that it was in totally the wrong place, as far from the football ground, tennis courts as possible.

What I didn't expect was a proposal for an arts centre PLUS a second pavilion for the sports facilities.

If an arts centre had to be built on the park it should be replacing the current toilet block - close to parking, plenty of footfall from the users of Victoria Square (aah, yes - I begin to see the problem). Of course it shouldn't be built on the park at all - but in the designated cultural and leisure quarter to the south of the canal.

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Mar 9 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

Richard,

I'm not sure you need 2000 signatures. Read the Vision responses from 2003....nearly 80% say no to ANY building on the park.

Mind you, most also said keep the buses in Northbrook Street.

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 9 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bofem @ Mar 9 2011, 05:34 PM) *
Richard,

I'm not sure you need 2000 signatures. Read the Vision responses from 2003....nearly 80% say no to ANY building on the park.

Mind you, most also said keep the buses in Northbrook Street.

The problem is, the consultation in 2006 is VERY vague about what a pavilion actually is!!! As for this petition, I'm not sure we will get 2,000 people, but hopefully enough to make the council look at other options for a site for a replacement for New Greenham Arts.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 9 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Mar 9 2011, 03:04 PM) *

Doesn't float my boat, we are going to lose the boating lake, what's wrong with sitting by the bandstand for a live music performance? You won't have the fumes and the roar of motors from the A339 by the bandstand either?
Any way if you have live music you will disturb the racing pigeons that will be living in the glorified pigeon loft
Pavilion? Still need to know where the parking will be and how disabled will access the pavilion?

It would seem to be the worst place you could think of to place a pavilion?
Could an arts center be made to pay especially being so far away from other facilities?

What's wrong with building it at Northcroft if we have to have one?

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 9 2011, 07:05 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 9 2011, 06:36 PM) *
Doesn't float my boat, we are going to lose the boating lake, what's wrong with sitting by the bandstand for a live music performance? You won't have the fumes and the roar of motors from the A339 by the bandstand either?
Any way if you have live music you will disturb the racing pigeons that will be living in the glorified pigeon loft
Pavilion? Still need to know where the parking will be and how disabled will access the pavilion?

It would seem to be the worst place you could think of to place a pavilion?
Could an arts center be made to pay especially being so far away from other facilities?

What's wrong with building it at Northcroft if we have to have one?

Getting rid of the boating lake is a bonus!

Last time I looked the bandstand was a pigeon loft. Are not Northcroft & Goldwell also 'so far away from other facilities'? Not a huge amount of parking there either. Isn't the issue the building over the towns green spaces? Or is Victoria Park a special case which should be saved, whereas Northcroft & Goldwell can be lost?

And as for the 'fumes & roar of motors from the A339' are you saying that the area intended for the Pavillion is blighted by this? It does not stop those already using the area, and isn't having a toddlers play area in such a locations a bad idea?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 9 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Move the Town Council into a unit on the New Greenham Park - they'll only need a town clerk once they've been Big Societized - and then make the old town hall into an arts centre - it's a lovely building and it would be nice to see it used. Simples.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 9 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Mar 9 2011, 07:05 PM) *
Getting rid of the boating lake is a bonus!

Last time I looked the bandstand was a pigeon loft. Are not Northcroft & Goldwell also 'so far away from other facilities'? Not a huge amount of parking there either. Isn't the issue the building over the towns green spaces? Or is Victoria Park a special case which should be saved, whereas Northcroft & Goldwell can be lost?

And as for the 'fumes & roar of motors from the A339' are you saying that the area intended for the Pavillion is blighted by this? It does not stop those already using the area, and isn't having a toddlers play area in such a locations a bad idea?

Northcroft has far more parking than Victoria and is also as near to facilities as victoria? Yes I agree we don't want to lose more green spaces but the council usually ignores these sort of arguments anyway so may as well join in?
Victoria is used far more than Northcroft so lesser of evils?

Just noise from A339 not conducive to your picture of lying listening to music on a balmy summers evening?
Also remember the tree problems that have suddenly developed? wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:55 AM