> D-Day +75
Phil_D11102
post May 15 2019, 11:14 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 846

QUOTE (newres @ May 15 2019, 04:03 PM) *
Well that's a fair point, but you have to be practical about it. I think Phil is a bit of a Greenham geek though and I think just expects a bit more than is realistic.

No, I am not a Greenham "geek". I am ex USAF who like many would like to see a couple of plaques up at the control tower dedicated to those who jumped out into the night sky, and one that recognizes the history of the base.

It could simply say "For those who served - 1942 to 1992" And it should have the Union Jack and the Stars and Stripes on it.

Would that really be too much? Is that really unrealistic.

Problem is the tower, Greenham Trust, nor do the various councils give a hoot because it's all about the peace women.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
newres
post May 16 2019, 05:26 AM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ May 16 2019, 12:14 AM) *
No, I am not a Greenham "geek". I am ex USAF who like many would like to see a couple of plaques up at the control tower dedicated to those who jumped out into the night sky, and one that recognizes the history of the base.

It could simply say "For those who served - 1942 to 1992" And it should have the Union Jack and the Stars and Stripes on it.

Problem is the tower, Greenham Trust, nor do the various councils give a hoot because it's all about the peace women.

I see no need to celebrate cruise missiles being here. We have a permanent reminder in the silos.

There are assembly points all over the UK I’m sure that won’t have commemorative ceremonies of D Day. The correct place for them is Normandy.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post May 16 2019, 06:04 AM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (newres @ May 16 2019, 06:26 AM) *
I see no need to celebrate cruise missiles being here. We have a permanent reminder in the silos.

There are assembly points all over the UK I’m sure that won’t have commemorative ceremonies of D Day. The correct place for them is Normandy.

But that's not what he said, we have lots of reminders of the missiles, we have a permanent reminder of the witch camp. What we don't have is a permanent reminder of is the jump off point for the various missions which preceeded D day, without which the liberation of Europe may not have happened. As such a committed Europhile I'm surprised you don't understand. Maybe you're just a bit thick though.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 16 2019, 07:27 AM
Post #64

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Lot's of things happened in the war. Should we have a commemoration of the end of the D day landings? We already have VE day of course. And the end of the war day. Like you said it was 75 years ago, we don't do with all the other wars and why should we commemorate war anyway?

I would take your point if the protests were being commemorated instead, but they're not.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post May 16 2019, 09:24 AM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ May 16 2019, 12:14 AM) *

Totally agree. I, as well as many other families in Newbury, have married or born into extended families across the pond. Even if it just said, thank you for your service.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 16 2019, 10:11 AM
Post #66

Advanced Member

They are called shelters. I see you don't know your a** from a hole in the ground. :-)

Like you said it was 75 years ago, we don't do with all the other wars and why should we commemorate war anyway?

Your not commemorating war, your remembering the sacrifices others gave for you.

I would take your point if the protests were being commemorated instead, but they're not.

https://greenhamcommonpeacegarden.org.uk/

As you can see there is even a plaque for a young lady killed in a traffic accident outside the base. David Voran was killed in a hit and run car accident off base, where is his plaque?

Hundreds more died before their feet hit the ground in France, so their last terra firma was RAF Greenham Common. Where is their plaque?

It's amazing that Greenham is remembered more for the peace women than anything else. But then they do make better press that people doing their jobs defending liberties that people take for granted.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 16 2019, 10:57 AM
Post #67

Advanced Member

We have remembrance day to allow people to reflect on those who gave up their lives for us and that in my opinion is sufficient. It's nice to recognise significant anniversaries I guess, and we are just differently to how you would like, I think you need to accept that and move on.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 16 2019, 01:39 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ May 16 2019, 11:11 AM) *
They are called shelters. I see you don't know your a** from a hole in the ground. :-)

Your not commemorating war, your remembering the sacrifices others gave for you.

https://greenhamcommonpeacegarden.org.uk/

As you can see there is even a plaque for a young lady killed in a traffic accident outside the base. David Voran was killed in a hit and run car accident off base, where is his plaque?

Hundreds more died before their feet hit the ground in France, so their last terra firma was RAF Greenham Common. Where is their plaque?

It's amazing that Greenham is remembered more for the peace women than anything else. But then they do make better press that people doing their jobs defending liberties that people take for granted.

I've tried to be polite even though I think you're being a tw@t, but to put it plainly there could potentially be thousands of places in the UK where troops departed to significant places in wars, but just because you happened to work there makes it special to no one but you. So stop feeling you're so entitled or that everyone wanted cruise missiles here. Greenham is more famous for the peace camps than anything else. Get over it!

+Quote Post
Andy1
post May 16 2019, 01:44 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (newres @ May 16 2019, 02:39 PM) *
I've tried to be polite even though I think you're being a tw@t, but to put it plainly there could potentially be thousands of places in the UK where troops departed to significant places in wars, but just because you happened to work there makes it special to no one but you. So stop feeling you're so entitled or that everyone wanted cruise missiles here. Greenham is more famous for the peace camps than anything else. Get over it!

My god man, you really are an idiot!

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 17 2019, 09:58 AM
Post #70

Advanced Member

Good Lord, you are a serious fool. One of the most iconic photos from WWII was taken up at Greenham, of a future President talking to men willing to sacrifice their lives for you and your family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyYYV8l5Y-Y

I hope that your grandparents aren't able to see your comments, as they would probably whoop your *** for being so disrespectful to people who came over to the UK to help liberate Europe.

Greenham isn't remembered for peace camps, it's remembered for people willing to die to protect your sorry a** and the freedoms you have today.

As I have always said, the publicity given to those outside the fence, but the history was made by us inside the fence.

Do I feel entitled, **** no. Do I feel special, **** no. But one thing is for sure is I stepped up and said the loss of freedom isn't happening on my watch. And you know what, it didn't. What have you done for others in your sorry existence.

Do I feel cheated that there isn't anything on the base to recognize everyone who fought, and in some cases died? Yes, I do. And the reason behind that isn't publicity, it's about honor. It's about honoring everyone who served on that base, from the MOD, to the RAF, to the USAF, to the Gurkha's, to the MOD police, everyone.

Maybe you don't realize this, but there is more of us who wish to recognize the others with a simple plaque, than to those who thinks its a waste of time and money.

It's nice to recognise significant anniversaries I guess, and we are just differently to how you would like, I think you need to accept that and move on

Sounds like "peace in our times to me.."

+Quote Post
newres
post May 17 2019, 10:20 AM
Post #71

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ May 17 2019, 10:58 AM) *
Good Lord, you are a serious fool. One of the most iconic photos from WWII was taken up at Greenham, of a future President talking to men willing to sacrifice their lives for you and your family.

I hope that your grandparents aren't able to see your comments, as they would probably whoop your *** for being so disrespectful to people who came over to the UK to help liberate Europe.

Greenham isn't remembered for peace camps, it's remembered for people willing to die to protect your sorry a** and the freedoms you have today.

As I have always said, the publicity given to those outside the fence, but the history was made by us inside the fence.

Do I feel entitled, **** no. Do I feel special, **** no. But one thing is for sure is I stepped up and said the loss of freedom isn't happening on my watch. And you know what, it didn't. What have you done for others in your sorry existence.

Do I feel cheated that there isn't anything on the base to recognize everyone who fought, and in some cases died? Yes, I do. And the reason behind that isn't publicity, it's about honor. It's about honoring everyone who served on that base, from the MOD, to the RAF, to the USAF, to the Gurkha's, to the MOD police, everyone.

Maybe you don't realize this, but there is more of us who wish to recognize the others with a simple plaque, than to those who thinks its a waste of time and money.

Sounds like "peace in our times to me.."

The speech is the important thing, not the location it was made. Who remembers where Martin Luther King gave his “dream” speech other than those that live there? Being realistic about how many “celebrations” we should have isn’t dishonouring the service men of WW2 but the certainly have no desire to celebrate cruise missiles being here.

I’ve no objection to a plaque or a display in the control tower.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 17 2019, 10:25 AM
Post #72

Advanced Member

The speech is the important thing, not the location it was made. Who remembers where Martin Luther King gave his “dream” speech other than those that live there? Being realistic about how many “celebrations” we should have isn’t dishonouring the service men of WW2 but the certainly have no desire to celebrate cruise missiles being here.

I have a dream, Lincoln Memorial.

I am not looking to celebrate the cruise missiles, even though I think the GAMA and Bldg 274 would make a great cold war museum, but I am looking to honor everyone who served up at RAF Greenham Common from 1942 to 1992.

Not recognizing them is dishonoring them. Push the dirty little secret under the carpet, but keep bending over and kissing that leftie peace women *** is ok..

+Quote Post
newres
post May 17 2019, 11:21 AM
Post #73

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ May 17 2019, 11:25 AM) *
I have a dream, Lincoln Memorial.

I am not looking to celebrate the cruise missiles, even though I think the GAMA and Bldg 274 would make a great cold war museum, but I am looking to honor everyone who served up at RAF Greenham Common from 1942 to 1992.

Not recognizing them is dishonoring them. Push the dirty little secret under the carpet, but keep bending over and kissing that leftie peace women *** is ok..

Have you got a MAGA hat or are you just playing at being a stereotype?

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 17 2019, 11:51 AM
Post #74

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 17 2019, 12:21 PM) *
Have you got a MAGA hat or are you just playing at being a stereotype?

If anyone is a racist is you sir. FYI, I didn't vote for either Trump or Clinton, as I think there are better people than that to lead the USA, so I voted libertarian.

But of course if your proud of your country, it's military, and it's history, your a redneck.

I voted for the past 20 years for a Democratic Congresswoman, and I have voted for Republican and Democratic Presidential candidates in the past.

Do I support legal immigration, of course, I am an immigrate to the UK, and my great grandparents come from Russia and Italy. Do I think illegal immigrates/and undocumented economic migrants should be deported, yes. Do I think someone who has moved his family from a war zone to Europe/UK be given asylum, yes.

Do I feel people should get help when they fall on hard times, yes. Do I think that they should receive training so they can be employed, yes. Do I feel if they reject the training that their benefits are cut or they are made to take part in council work such as cleaning the streets, etc Yes.

Do I believe in a universal health system, yes, but I also believe that you can have private insurance if you want to be seen quicker. Do I feel that I should pay more for the NHS to get back on it's feet, yes.

Do I believe that the UK should leave the EU, yes. Why, because the EU is a red tape mess that the ultimate goal is to have one nation under the Euro.

So, I am a mix in my politics, and I would like to see the best of everything.

But, as you see it because I am proud of my country, and the contribution it paid in the liberation of Europe and the fall of the Warsaw Pact/Communism, I must be a racist redneck.

You can think what you like about me, but you have clearly painted yourself as a joke, a fool, and racist leftist muppet.

Ya'all have a nice day, yhear.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 17 2019, 12:10 PM
Post #75

Advanced Member

He only asked if you had a hat!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 17 2019, 12:17 PM
Post #76

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 17 2019, 01:10 PM) *

😂😂😂

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 17 2019, 12:33 PM
Post #77

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

But he's right though, you're simply not allowed to be proud of your country any more, not unless you want simpletons sneering at you and calling you racist.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 17 2019, 12:49 PM
Post #78

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 17 2019, 01:10 PM) *

Wearing a MAGA hat is a target for leftist to think you a racist, and to attack you.

FYI, no, I don't have a hat. I don't like the man. I thought I answered that when I said I didn't vote for Trump.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-69...sing-fired.html

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter/new...K0qbd-zBnqLcEQ/

https://www.foxnews.com/us/man-attacked-wearing-maga-hat

https://www.dailywire.com/news/46173/watch-...e-new-paul-bois

+Quote Post
newres
post May 17 2019, 01:38 PM
Post #79

Advanced Member

Probably still not enough for you Phil

https://cornexchangenew.com/event/greenham-...experience-2019

Re: the stereotype - your attitude to the Peace Women is fairly stereotypical. You're not alone on here though.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 17 2019, 01:40 PM
Post #80

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 17 2019, 01:33 PM) *
But he's right though, you're simply not allowed to be proud of your country any more, not unless you want simpletons sneering at you and calling you racist.

Although in Phil's case he seems to think we should be proud of his country too!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
7 User(s) are reading this topic (7 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:28 AM