> Another long road closure by TVP, A fatal RTA yes; but 12 hours road closure
motormad
post Feb 13 2013, 10:07 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 13 2013, 09:31 PM) *
Dumb and stupid mean much the same in this argument.

Almost. Not quite. While neither are forgivable people do panic, of they over-react and run. Which is dumb. A lesser form of stupid which is to drive your car into what is basically the South Sea! laugh.gif
Knowing some good or bad drivers doesn't get away from the statistic that younger drivers have more 'accidents'.

I accepted that, didn't I? I just said that there is no correlation between "quality" of driving or being a "good" driver and the amount of accidents you have.
As I made the point that not all young drivers are bad drivers, to which a comment (which is a fair observation) regarding the amount of accidents they have was made. I was simply making the point that accident vs quality is not a plottable chart.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Feb 13 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

It's the old balance of nature thing, more young'uns have accidents so it thins out the the idiots, fittest survive.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 13 2013, 10:34 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 13 2013, 10:07 PM) *
Almost. Not quite. While neither are forgivable people do panic, of they over-react and run. Which is dumb. A lesser form of stupid which is to drive your car into what is basically the South Sea! laugh.gif

"There are four kinds of people in this world: cretins, fools, morons, and lunatics…Cretins don’t even talk; they sort of slobber and stumble…Fools are in great demand, especially on social occasions. They embarrass everyone but provide material for conversation…Fools don’t claim that cats bark, but they talk about cats when everyone else is talking about dogs. They offend all the rules of conversation, and when they really offend, they’re magnificent…Morons never do the wrong thing. They get their reasoning wrong. Like the fellow who says that all dogs are pets and all dogs bark, and cats are pets, too, therefore cats bark…Morons will occasionally say something that’s right, but they say it for the wrong reason…A lunatic is easily recognized. He is a moron who doesn’t know the ropes. The moron proves his thesis; he has logic, however twisted it may be. The lunatic on the other hand, doesn’t concern himself at all with logic; he works by short circuits. For him, everything proves everything else. The lunatic is all idée fixe, and whatever he comes across confirms his lunacy. You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense, by his flashes of inspiration, and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars…There are lunatics who don’t bring up the Templars, but those who do are the most insidious. At first they seem normal, then all of a sudden…”

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 13 2013, 10:43 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

And by that post, you'd just be a Fool and I be a Lunatic.
Or maybe just a ****.

???

Again with MM's forum famous "guess the meaning of the four stars!" game.

--------------------

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 13 2013, 10:48 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Feb 13 2013, 10:10 PM) *
It's the old balance of nature thing, more young'uns have accidents so it thins out the the idiots, fittest survive.

But then who will pay for your social care?

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 13 2013, 10:52 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (newres @ Feb 13 2013, 08:51 PM) *
Funny, another TVP thread by Gel.

The police love a good chase. This causes many deaths each year. In most cases they should not persue in my opinion.

To those lacking sympathy, he was little more than a child. Misguided obviously.

Aaah some sanity! What the Police did beforehand was undoubtedly right but was it wise?

Of course, none of us oldies can remember doing anything reckless in our youth.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 13 2013, 11:10 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

What a load of Bollox.

I accepted that, didn't I? I just said that there is no correlation between "quality" of driving or being a "good" driver and the amount of accidents you have.
As I made the point that not all young drivers are bad drivers, to which a comment (which is a fair observation) regarding the amount of accidents they have was made. I was simply making the point that accident vs quality is not a plottable chart.

On average, better drivers have fewer accidents.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 13 2013, 11:18 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 13 2013, 10:48 PM) *
But then who will pay for your social care?

You do that yourself.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 13 2013, 11:18 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 13 2013, 10:43 PM) *
And by that post, you'd just be a Fool and I be a Lunatic.
Or maybe just a ****.

???

Again with MM's forum famous "guess the meaning of the four stars!" game.

Give us a clue.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 13 2013, 11:31 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

No.

And oh. (About the Social care).

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 13 2013, 11:10 PM) *
What a load of Bollox.

That's your onion.

On average, better drivers have fewer accidents.

On average according to what? Can you provide any statistics?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 14 2013, 03:23 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 13 2013, 11:31 PM) *
On average according to what? Can you provide any statistics?

"...advanced drivers are 25% less likely to be involved in an accident"

http://www.roadartvg.org.uk/

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 14 2013, 06:33 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 14 2013, 03:23 AM) *

Just an aside, some very interesting information is starting to emerge, which re writes received wisdom.
- The number of new young drivers is falling; possibly due to high insurance and lack of employment opportunity
- The age profile of skilled motorists (those in several schemes) is getting lower
- The accidents where old drivers are responsible are slightly lower but are far more deadly and serious
Once we get to a certain age, the lower test standards and our far lower ability to react, kicks in to deadly effect.

So there some interesting policy considerations necessary as in future, less people will drive....

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 14 2013, 09:39 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Re post #23: in case someone thinks dannyboy has suddenly developed a literary talent, that was plagiarised from Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 14 2013, 09:46 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 14 2013, 03:23 AM) *

Okay and where does mention anything about age vs driving ability? All that says is that "after passing our test which costs a lot of money" (I know having done the motorcycle equivalent) you are 25% less likely to crash.
No mention of age which was my original point.

Outside of the fact that shuffling the wheel makes you a bit of a berk and reduces your ability to correct slides..

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 14 2013, 09:58 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 14 2013, 09:39 AM) *
Re post #23: in case someone thinks dannyboy has suddenly developed a literary talent, that was plagiarised from Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

We know.

Why do you think I stuck it in italiacs & quotation marks? I copied it . To plagarise is palm off someone else's work as your own.....

..... which is, ironically ( as anyone whos actually read the book instead of searching for the quote on google would know ) what Dan Brown did with his execrable 'Da Vinci Code' . Baigent & Lincoln had in turn had their ideas lampooned by Eco, but oddly they decided to sue Brown & ignored Eco's book possibly as Brown was a multi millionarie on the back of their efforts & Eco was just a humble professor of Semiotics at Milan University.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 14 2013, 10:49 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Who are "we"? Yes it was obvious it was a quotation, and no I have not read the book (presumably I am the only one reading this forum who hasn't), but I know enough that it's usual practice to credit a quotation.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 14 2013, 10:58 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 14 2013, 10:49 AM) *
Who are "we"? Yes it was obvious it was a quotation, and no I have not read the book (presumably I am the only one reading this forum who hasn't), but I know enough that it's usual practice to credit a quotation.

Credit it - and spoil the chance for someone to have a dig!?! Where is the fun in that.

So it was 'obvious it was a quotation' but you still felt the need to point this out? To whom?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 14 2013, 01:19 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 14 2013, 09:46 AM) *
Okay and where does mention anything about age vs driving ability? All that says is that "after passing our test which costs a lot of money" (I know having done the motorcycle equivalent) you are 25% less likely to crash.
No mention of age which was my original point.

So? You asked a question, I gave an answer. Perhaps you should back your assertion up with some facts?

Young drivers are more likely to involved in an accident, that is all I wish to say.

There are many ways to evaluate a good driver, my view is a good driver is a safe one. One that doesn't pratt about.

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 14 2013, 09:46 AM) *
Outside of the fact that shuffling the wheel makes you a bit of a berk and reduces your ability to correct slides..

Only if your driving isn't up to scratch. If you slide, you have lost control and failed to respond to the conditions.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 14 2013, 02:35 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 14 2013, 01:19 PM) *
So? You asked a question, I gave an answer. Perhaps you should back your assertion up with some facts?

I didn't state any facts. You brought up the "older drivers are better drivers" thing.

Young drivers are more likely to involved in an accident, that is all I wish to say.

Only if your driving isn't up to scratch. If you slide, you have lost control and failed to respond to the conditions.

Errr.... No.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 14 2013, 02:41 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 14 2013, 02:35 PM) *
If you slide, you have lost control and failed to respond to the conditions.

Errr.... No.

On the open road yes. Driving like Jezza is fine on a track, but that isn't what this discussion is about.

Saw some twerp in a vintage mustang a few weeks back on the London road. He floored it out of the BP garage so that the car fishtailed to almost 90° to the kerb, luckily for him he was able to correct the slide & wheel spin it towards the B&Q roundabout.

Not good drving on the open road at all, but gave the boy racers also in the BP garage a quick thrill....

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:24 PM