Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St John's Roundabout - Help a Cyclist, Green Cycle Lane Confusion
JeffG
post Jul 17 2013, 09:18 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

As a car driver, I was in exactly this situation the other day. I was about to exit to the Andover Road but a cyclist was coming up behind me in the green lane. He actually exited up the same road, so there was no conflict, but until I was sure I was forced to wait in case he was going to carry on round. If he was a car there would have been no problem, as if he was going on round he would pass me on the right as I exited, not on my left.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Claude
post Jul 17 2013, 09:38 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 17 2013, 10:18 AM) *
As a car driver, I was in exactly this situation the other day. I was about to exit to the Andover Road but a cyclist was coming up behind me in the green lane. He actually exited up the same road, so there was no conflict, but until I was sure I was forced to wait in case he was going to carry on round. If he was a car there would have been no problem, as if he was going on round he would pass me on the right as I exited, not on my left.

No doubt if I adopt the 'I'm a car' approach I'll be lambasted for not using the cycle lane, but I've got thick skin and it won't be the first time I'll have attracted some criticism as a result of my cycling habits.

Thanks to all for your comments, much appreciated.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 17 2013, 11:05 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I don't think there is any short term solution to the car / cyclist problem.
The issue being simply that they just don't mix as exemplified by the number of cyclists injured or killed.
The problem is further exacerbated by the fact that pedestrians and cyclists don't mix either as they are a danger to each other. (Why cyclists can't walk down the pedestrian areas of the town during traffic free periods like everyone else beats me!!)
The only way round it that I can see is to completely segregate cyclists from other modes of getting around as has been done to some extent in some European countries.
Will it happen here?

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jul 17 2013, 11:39 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Nothing to do with cycling but similar.
Horses. Unless with a school and protected at front and back by experienced riders, cars can be extremely bluddy minded.

Sometimes you have to cross a road or move a horse to different grazing so roads are inevitably the only way to go.
Horses often weigh more than the car overtaking too close. Not pleasant to have one sitting on your chest.

I am not sure how it ended but one police area wanted to ban yellow tabards because they could be confused with police horses
and riders. So what? Anyway a country lane and police horses don't exactly spring to mind as existing together..
ce

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 17 2013, 05:26 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Claude @ Jul 17 2013, 10:38 AM) *
No doubt if I adopt the 'I'm a car' approach I'll be lambasted for not using the cycle lane, but I've got thick skin and it won't be the first time I'll have attracted some criticism as a result of my cycling habits.

I get lambasted all the time for not using the cycle lane; I just reply in kind. Even though there is a cycle lane or path for cyclists they don't have to use it under the law. Under the law you are entitled to use the road, as I do.

The trouble is with cycle lanes/ paths was that there was no thought put into it when they were created. Councils believe that putting a white line on the path or next to the path (thus creating a cycle Lane) was job done. Without no thought on pedestrians/ cyclists combination or cycle lanes/ paths being cleaned.

My son regularly used the cycle path and used to get loads of punctures. Also; while cycling down Kiln road - on the cycle path - some car was half parked on the road/ path and the driver opened her door as he went by and he went straight into it. A lesson learnt; don't cycle on unsafe cycle lanes.

You never see professional cyclists use them. That is because they are not stupid.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 17 2013, 07:03 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I can't believe that our local council would spend a large sum of money moving lamp posts and painting white lines down the middle of pavements to make a cycle path if it didn't work. After all, they've had enthusiastic cycling Councillors to guide them for a long time.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 17 2013, 07:07 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (GhostMemory @ Jul 17 2013, 07:56 AM) *
As a non-cyclist ... but nothing scares me as much as a cyclist suddenly swerving out in front of me with no prior warning.

In 30 years of driving I don't think a cyclist has ever suddenly swerved out in front of me. But I am also a cyclist.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 17 2013, 07:13 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Just out of interest, do you wear the string of onions round your neck when you cycle?

--------------------

+Quote Post
GhostMemory
post Jul 18 2013, 06:50 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 8,749

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 17 2013, 08:07 PM) *
In 30 years of driving I don't think a cyclist has ever suddenly swerved out in front of me. But I am also a cyclist.

I wish that were the case for me. In 8 years of driving I have experienced more than enough instances of this happening to me for me to be extra wary whenever I see a cyclist on the road.

As with most things in life, you get the good and you get the bad.

+Quote Post
Claude
post Jul 18 2013, 08:04 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 17 2013, 08:07 PM) *

When I was younger I was pretty inconsiderate on a bike, I'd possibly go so far as to say I was reckless on occasion, but since becoming an experienced driver I shudder to think about the manoeuvres I used to make as a boy. Now I try to keep my swerves to a minimum but I do still make the odd move to avoid potholes, assuming I can't bunny-hop over them.

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 17 2013, 08:13 PM) *
Just out of interest, do you wear the string of onions round your neck when you cycle?

I'm afraid not, and my jersey of choice isn't navy & white-striped, however, there is a cloud of garlic following me wherever I go...

Santé!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jul 18 2013, 08:29 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

I'm surprised you can bunny hop the horse you seem to ride.

Use a cycle path if the road is not suitable or narrow. Or just use the footpath irrespective wink.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 18 2013, 05:25 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 17 2013, 08:03 PM) *
I can't believe that our local council would spend a large sum of money moving lamp posts and painting white lines down the middle of pavements to make a cycle path if it didn't work. After all, they've had enthusiastic cycling Councillors to guide them for a long time.

They may be "enthusiastic cycling councillors" but that doesn't relate to brain power or the ability to think. If we had intelligent councillors or politicians we wouldn't be in the mess we are currently in.

As for "spending large sums of money" or wasting money; just look at some of the decision they made only for them to decide a bit later on it was a failure. I imagine that when they decide on cycle lanes or paths they thought they were just joining in on the mood of the times. No further thoughts than that.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 18 2013, 05:27 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Whatever you do as a cyclist you'll be lambasted. Just do what you feel is safe and you are happy with. That is what I do.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 18 2013, 06:37 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 18 2013, 06:27 PM) *
Whatever you do as a cyclist you'll be lambasted.

Incorrect, if they stuck to the Highway Code and common sense then they would not be lambasted by me!

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 18 2013, 06:27 PM) *
Just do what you feel is safe and you are happy with. That is what I do.

And sod everyone else!
If only cyclists did what is safe!
Obviously "what they fee is safe" and actually being safe appear to be two different things. sad.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 18 2013, 06:50 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 18 2013, 07:37 PM) *
Incorrect, if they stuck to the Highway Code and common sense then they would not be lambasted by me!

YOU? You are not everybody. In fact probably just one in millions.

And sod everyone else!
If only cyclists did what is safe!
Obviously "what they fee is safe" and actually being safe appear to be two different things. sad.gif

All cyclists/ car drivers etc do what they feel they are happy with. However, some get it right and still have accidents, others do it wrong and survive.

And who is talking about "fee"? Unless you are suggesting they were sponsored? laugh.gif wink.gif Or are you talking about the girl Fee; nice girl, but a bad cyclist/ car driver. She is now with the angels, looking down on us and having a good laugh. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 18 2013, 06:52 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 18 2013, 07:50 PM) *
And who is talking about "fee"? Unless you are suggesting they were sponsored? laugh.gif wink.gif Or are you talking about the girl Fee; nice girl, but a bad cyclist/ car driver. She is now with the angels, looking down on us and having a good laugh. cool.gif

Nice one GMR!
I won't edit the typo just so you can dwell in your personal satisfaction. tongue.gif
Maybe get a few laughs? wink.gif
LINK

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 18 2013, 06:56 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Claude @ Jul 18 2013, 09:04 AM) *
When I was younger I was pretty inconsiderate on a bike, I'd possibly go so far as to say I was reckless on occasion, but since becoming an experienced driver I shudder to think about the manoeuvres I used to make as a boy. Now I try to keep my swerves to a minimum but I do still make the odd move to avoid potholes, assuming I can't bunny-hop over them.

Yes, I was a reckless cyclist too.

I give cyclists a wide berth when overtaking, and only overtake when I can see what's coming - I may not have seen many cyclists swerving, but I have seen plenty of cars overtaking with no thought about where to go if a car suddenly appears from the other direction! Wasn't it Eddy Merckx who said to give cyclists at least enough room to fall off?

And for the Highway Code quoters, here's what it says about passing cyclists:

The Highway Code says that when overtaking you should give cyclists "at least as much room as you would give a car". This is because: a) cyclists are prone to wobbing around a bit, particularly at low speed or in high winds; b ) they may move out to avoid a pothole, puddle, broken glass or cans etc; c) your slipstream may cause them to wobble; and d) because it's very scary to have a car whip past 2 feet away at 60mph (please consider slowing down as you overtake too)!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 18 2013, 07:00 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 18 2013, 07:56 PM) *
And for the Highway Code quoters, here's what it says about passing cyclists:

The Highway Code?
If I quoted all the rules that cyclists should obey but don't I think this thread may run into several pages!
(Post checked for typos but all corrections welcome!)

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 18 2013, 07:17 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 18 2013, 08:00 PM) *
The Highway Code?
If I quoted all the rules that cyclists should obey but don't I think this thread may run into several pages!
(Post checked for typos but all corrections welcome!)

So what's your point? That some people are idiots? Of course they are, we know that, and some of those idiots will be idiot cyclists. Good drivers will understand that everyone else on the road could potentially do something really idiotic at any moment and drive accordingly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 18 2013, 07:41 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 18 2013, 08:17 PM) *
So what's your point?

My point is that the majority of cyclists do not think the Highway Code applies to them.
On top of that they do not apply common sense especially when riding near pedestrians.
(Why ride at 20mph down a pedestrianised street?)
If they do not apply the rules then that causes accidents, injury and death.
That some people are idiots?

No
Good drivers will understand that everyone else on the road could potentially do something really idiotic at any moment and drive accordingly.

Absolutely.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:28 AM