IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Local Headteacher earns more than PM, Kennet and Trinity head earns £175k a year
Strafin
post Jul 20 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 55

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14018

I usually find it very easy to knock people and as most will know have no problems about complaining about what I think is wrong. The recent revelation of the primary school teacher in London earning £200k being one of those times. I now read that a local head is earning ridiculous amounts, but as I know him and indeed went to one of his schools, I found my reaction to be much less severe. I still think it's too much, and also another example of the public sector paying out over the odds again but somehow am slightly more accepting. I just wondered if anyone had any feelings one way or the other.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Jul 20 2010, 09:32 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 20 2010, 10:27 PM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14018

I usually find it very easy to knock people and as most will know have no problems about complaining about what I think is wrong. The recent revelation of the primary school teacher in London earning £200k being one of those times. I now read that a local head is earning ridiculous amounts, but as I know him and indeed went to one of his schools, I found my reaction to be much less severe. I still think it's too much, and also another example of the public sector paying out over the odds again but somehow am slightly more accepting. I just wondered if anyone had any feelings one way or the other.

Is this the teacher who is head of two schools? If that is the case then should that amount to what is basically two salaries? Makes my £22,000 p.a. look like peanuts if they are nearly getting this per month. Mind you higher tax bracket !!!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 20 2010, 09:42 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

My problem is with people being paid massive salaries for failure. I see that as a greater issue. If Panorama is to be believed, 5% of teachers are incompetent!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 20 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Mr Di.ck (editted for rudeness) is the Head .... in fact he's a Super-Head. The pay is excessive in relative terms, but if his leadership manages to turn around the recent results at Trinity School and still keeps Kennet school on track as being one of the most successful comprehensive schools in the south then maybe (just maybe) he's earned his crust...

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jul 20 2010, 10:29 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

Whilst comparing salaries, there are more than just the pay cheques to be taken into account.
The PM lives rent free and with a large staff to attend to his every need and you can bet the shoping in Tesco's doesn't come out of his back pocket. He also gets allowances on his second home. He actually draws two salaries adding a further £60k to the pot and I believe there are considerable free pension/allowance perks when he retires. He doesn't have to pay for the company car and I bet there are all sorts of tax allowances for clothing and such like.
I don't really care what he earns in comparison with our local head, the perks of being the Prime Minister and what happens when he relinquishes the title, well outweigh salary (See Tony Blair)and if Mr D-ick is doing a good job, he should be paid a salary commensurate with the responsibilities and importance of the job he does. There are not many people who have the qualifications and the ability to manage our schools today so let's make sure we hang on to them. Our future depends on them.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jul 20 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Jul 20 2010, 10:32 PM) *
Makes my £22,000 p.a. look like peanuts if they are nearly getting this per month.

It does, I agree, but would you have the skills required to run two senior schools, or even, would you want to for whatever salary.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 21 2010, 07:53 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

£175k a year for doing any teaching job in local education seems excessive. However he does appear to be getting some good results with what was adifficult school to manage.
He does seem to be very diligent and puts in some hours so as long as that continues, pay him.
When and if it stops then make sure the high salary does too.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jul 21 2010, 08:09 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

I agree with the general consensus. Being the Super Head of two secondary schools is a tough and very responsible job. If he is being successful at that job then I think he deserves the pay.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 21 2010, 08:13 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 20 2010, 11:01 PM) *
Mr Di.ck (editted for rudeness) is the Head .... in fact he's a Super-Head. The pay is excessive in relative terms, but if his leadership manages to turn around the recent results at Trinity School and still keeps Kennet school on track as being one of the most successful comprehensive schools in the south then maybe (just maybe) he's earned his crust...

Does he do it all on his own then?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 21 2010, 08:16 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 21 2010, 08:53 AM) *
£175k a year for doing any teaching job in local education seems excessive.

Does he still teach? I doubt if he has much time to prepare lessons and teach them if he has two schools to run.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 21 2010, 08:23 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 21 2010, 09:16 AM) *
Does he still teach? I doubt if he has much time to prepare lessons and teach them if he has two schools to run.

He may well do?
I used the word generically to reflect the whole profession and those functions carried out within it.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Jul 21 2010, 08:55 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

Surely two heads paid 80k each, one at each school, should be able to do a better job than one being paid stupid amounts and not giving 100% to either school unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jul 21 2010, 09:58 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

I'd be more inclined to ask the PM to justify his salary.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 21 2010, 10:43 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 21 2010, 09:13 AM) *
Does he do it all on his own then?
What do you think?..... rolleyes.gif Does WBC Chief Exec turn his hand to a bit of pot-hole filling on his own to earn his crust? 'course not.... But does Mr D lead and inspire those within his team to greater things? Does he pass that ethos on to his staff so that pupils are encouraged to 'be the best they can be'? It seems from the results that he may well do.. Turning around a failing school in Trinity and attracting capable staff to come to such a school takes some doing.... Marks at Kennet School have been consistently admirable under his charge...

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 21 2010, 09:16 AM) *
My son was still in Kennet last year and Mr D did take the odd spell in front of class when teacher's were short through illness etc. He has the ability to cuff it..

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 21 2010, 10:49 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I wish we could avoid envy of success. Why not tackle the issues of failing professionals first? I understand that 5% of teachers should not be teaching. When you consider how many pupils this affects, it is a lot.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 21 2010, 11:29 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 21 2010, 11:43 AM) *
What do you think?..... rolleyes.gif Does WBC Chief Exec turn his hand to a bit of pot-hole filling on his own to earn his crust? 'course not.... But does Mr D lead and inspire those within his team to greater things? Does he pass that ethos on to his staff so that pupils are encouraged to 'be the best they can be'?

Shouldn't they get a cut then?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 21 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 21 2010, 12:29 PM) *
Shouldn't they get a cut then?

I doubt that they work for nothing.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Jul 21 2010, 01:25 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

Surely this should be measured on his success. Why should it matter if he gets more than the Prime Minister as a Public Sector worker. The PM is sorted for life I would suggest, even if he does a bad job.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 21 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Jul 21 2010, 09:55 AM) *
Surely two heads paid 80k each, one at each school, should be able to do a better job than one being paid stupid amounts and not giving 100% to either school unsure.gif

When Mr D was just head of Kennet and another head was running Trinity I guess that their joint salaries were approaching this level - while one of the schools was failing. Now the failing school is improving and the excellent one remains excellent - it seems he can do a better job on his own than he and his opposite number at Shaw were able to do previously. It obviously comes down to the capability of the individual - you could easily argue that he was wasted running just the one school and should even be given a couple more to supervise.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Jul 21 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 21 2010, 02:30 PM) *
When Mr D was just head of Kennet and another head was running Trinity I guess that their joint salaries were approaching this level - while one of the schools was failing. Now the failing school is improving and the excellent one remains excellent - it seems he can do a better job on his own than he and his opposite number at Shaw were able to do previously. It obviously comes down to the capability of the individual - you could easily argue that he was wasted running just the one school and should even be given a couple more to supervise.

Surely all heads should be capable, just because one has failed doesn't necessarily make another twice as good as every other head in the country and worth this money - the failed head could have been just really bad and Mr D just average. There must be other heads capable of running Trinity at a more normal rate of pay. What happened to the old Trinity head, hope he isn't still a head elsewhere......

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:09 AM