> Zebra Crossings.
dannyboy
post Jul 1 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 1 2009, 06:54 PM) *
Is it illegal to drive over a zebra crossing when someone is waiting to use it (and clearly pointing out to the approaching driver that it is there)?

Also is it illegal to drive over a zebra crossing if someone is already using it?

Both cases - yes. If the police were following the driver & saw them ignore a pedestrian waiting / crossing, they'd have a word with said driver.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTrans...ycode/DG_070339
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 1 2009, 09:12 PM) *
None? Really? Death by dangerous driving? Aggravated Vehicle Taking? Surely this can't be correct?

Why not read the whole flappin' post! Come to think of it, that might explain why racing drivers get away with shunting at dangerous speeds! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 1 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #23

Guests

Well all I can say is lets hope nobody ever is injured in such a way.

I just wish people would show a little more consideration for others, I mean really, what can be so important in someone's everyday life that they don't have the time or courtesy to let someone cross what surely must be recognised by anybody who has passed their driving test as a pedestrian crossing, regardless of where it is if it's a place regularly used by the public. sad.gif

Thanks for all the input though people.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 1 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Is it illegal to drive over a zebra crossing when someone is waiting to use it (and clearly pointing out to the approaching driver that it is there)?

Also is it illegal to drive over a zebra crossing if someone is already using it?

So you think you've got problems? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRje4FFoqJk

+Quote Post
Andy
post Jul 1 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 1 2009, 09:12 PM) *
Both cases - yes. If the police were following the driver & saw them ignore a pedestrian waiting / crossing, they'd have a word with said driver.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTrans...ycode/DG_070339

Not necessarily as in the eyes of the law he's not committed any offence......No. 19... http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTrans...ycode/DG_070108

"Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 2 2009, 08:18 AM
Post #26

Guests

I'm getting mixed messages here.

Would it be fair to say that the subject of zebra crossing etiquette on private roads used by masses of the public is a bit of a grey area?

If Andy is correct, for example, then the man was within his rights to ignore me, but the woman was most certainly not.

+Quote Post
Andy
post Jul 2 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 2 2009, 09:18 AM) *
I'm getting mixed messages here.

Would it be fair to say that the subject of zebra crossing etiquette on private roads used by masses of the public is a bit of a grey area?

If Andy is correct, for example, then the man was within his rights to ignore me, but the woman was most certainly not.

The link I quoted is from the Highway Code, so that is set in stone.

The question of one on private land possibly does enter more of a grey area and so I won't comment on that as I'm not legal professional. From a persoinal point of view, I think that the onus should be on the pedestrian to ensure it's as safe as possible to cross and believe you were very unlucky to encounter someone who ignored you already crossing. Generally most cars would stop.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 2 2009, 09:33 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 2 2009, 10:18 AM) *
The link I quoted is from the Highway Code, so that is set in stone.

The question of one on private land possibly does enter more of a grey area and so I won't comment on that as I'm not legal professional. From a persoinal point of view, I think that the onus should be on the pedestrian to ensure it's as safe as possible to cross and believe you were very unlucky to encounter someone who ignored you already crossing. Generally most cars would stop.

I quoted from the highway code too. The advice for pedestrian differs from that for the driver. The highway code is ambiguous for safety reasons - basically if you are a pedestrian don't step out onto a crossing if a car is obviously not going to have enough time to stop safely, but if you are a driver you must give way to a waiting crossing pedestrian if it is safe to do so.
If a traffic cop decided you did have enought time to stop, but didn't, he'd have a word. It is a bit like stopping for a traffic light on amber - if the light changes when you are 10 yards from it - carry on, if 100 yards - stop, even if you might still sneak through.

+Quote Post
Andy
post Jul 2 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 2 2009, 10:33 AM) *
I quoted from the highway code too. The advice for pedestrian differs from that for the driver. The highway code is ambiguous for safety reasons - basically if you are a pedestrian don't step out onto a crossing if a car is obviously not going to have enough time to stop safely, but if you are a driver you must give way to a waiting crossing pedestrian if it is safe to do so.
If a traffic cop decided you did have enought time to stop, but didn't, he'd have a word. It is a bit like stopping for a traffic light on amber - if the light changes when you are 10 yards from it - carry on, if 100 yards - stop, even if you might still sneak through.

The Code is the same in both cases. For drivers it states "look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross" it does not state that you HAVE to stop and give them right of way

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 2 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 2 2009, 11:09 AM) *
The Code is the same in both cases. For drivers it states "look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross" it does not state that you HAVE to stop and give them right of way

If the pedestrian has one foot on the crossing, but is not actually moving, they have right of way.

+Quote Post
Andy
post Jul 2 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 2 2009, 12:33 PM) *
If the pedestrian has one foot on the crossing, but is not actually moving, they have right of way.

Correct - Exactly what I've been saying all along. But, the police would have no justification to stop you if they had not started to cross.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 2 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 2 2009, 10:33 AM) *
If a traffic cop decided you did have enought time to stop, but didn't, he'd have a word.

Or more likely carry on into Sainsbury's to get another bag of donuts to munch through whilst doing absolutely nothing for the next few hours....

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jul 5 2009, 01:10 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

This is a government ploy in order to reduce the pension payments.It is based on the premise that those over 65 will be unable to outrun a BMW.Personally I base my crossing technique on the "wait for someone else to go first"order.
Still think positive, by the time the present re-development is completed,there will be no traffic in Newbury

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 8 2009, 08:44 AM
Post #34

Guests

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=10486

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 8 2009, 09:35 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 8 2009, 09:44 AM) *

I would be pretty incensed if I found such a leaflet on my car.

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jul 8 2009, 10:00 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 8 2009, 10:35 AM) *

You could always just screw it up and throw it on the floor!

(Making quick tongue in cheek cross reference to the litter threads)

wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 8 2009, 10:11 AM
Post #37

Guests

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 8 2009, 10:35 AM) *

Why? If you go by the rules just ignore the leaflet, it's those that think they are too important to care about the safety of others that it is targetting.

+Quote Post
Instigator
post Jul 8 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 179

What if... somebody riding a zebra ran you over whilst crossing a zebra crossing would the zebra rider be in the wrong?! wink.gif

--------------------
INSTIGATOR

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jul 8 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

I'm more worried about getting run over by a puffin while using a pelican crossing.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 8 2009, 04:47 PM
Post #40

Guests

QUOTE (Instigator @ Jul 8 2009, 12:11 PM) *
What if... somebody riding a zebra ran you over whilst crossing a zebra crossing would the zebra rider be in the wrong?! wink.gif

QUOTE (Darren @ Jul 8 2009, 12:21 PM) *
I'm more worried about getting run over by a puffin while using a pelican crossing.

What are you guys on?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:56 PM