IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Accident at Sainsbury's Roundabout, ...waiting to happen?
wabbit
post May 17 2012, 02:45 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 312

I was saddened to learn that the huge disruption to traffic this morning was due to an accident involving an elderly pedestrian on the Sainsbury's roundabout. It goes without saying that this is a tragedy for this gentleman's family and hopefully, forum members will refrain from 'smart alec' comments such as those which accompanied the posts on the Headley ford drowning.

But, I really wanted to question the safety of all the crossings around this roundabout. I have only recently (in an effort to save parking charges) taken advantage of Sainsbury's two hour free parking for customers and used these crossing points to go into the town centre. I was frankly, terrified - although there is a 40mph speed limit on this stretch of road and there are 'green man' signals for each of the separate crossing points, it feels quite unsafe as a pedestrian as traffic seems to be flying past and some drivers seem to accelerate wildly away from the lights. I am not elderly and my eyesight, hearing and faculties are fine but I have always been fearful, as a driver, that someone will step out in front of a car - and today, it would seem they did.

Of course I realise one could use the underpass, but, as a female, 'underpasses' are something I have always tried to avoid where there is an 'above ground' option. Maybe though, this might be a time to look at the safety of all these crossing points and consider whether to extend the railings and not allow pedestrians to cross above ground - maybe making the underpasses the only option?

--------------------
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 17 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (wabbit @ May 17 2012, 03:45 PM) *
I was saddened to learn that the huge disruption to traffic this morning was due to an accident involving an elderly pedestrian on the Sainsbury's roundabout. It goes without saying that this is a tragedy for this gentleman's family and hopefully, forum members will refrain from 'smart alec' comments such as those which accompanied the posts on the Headley ford drowning.

But, I really wanted to question the safety of all the crossings around this roundabout. I have only recently (in an effort to save parking charges) taken advantage of Sainsbury's two hour free parking for customers and used these crossing points to go into the town centre. I was frankly, terrified - although there is a 40mph speed limit on this stretch of road and there are 'green man' signals for each of the separate crossing points, it feels quite unsafe as a pedestrian as traffic seems to be flying past and some drivers seem to accelerate wildly away from the lights. I am not elderly and my eyesight, hearing and faculties are fine but I have always been fearful, as a driver, that someone will step out in front of a car - and today, it would seem they did.

Of course I realise one could use the underpass, but, as a female, 'underpasses' are something I have always tried to avoid where there is an 'above ground' option. Maybe though, this might be a time to look at the safety of all these crossing points and consider whether to extend the railings and not allow pedestrians to cross above ground - maybe making the underpasses the only option?

Very sad for the lady and the family.

Please keep the crossings though. Would I want my daughter/grand-daughter using the underpass at 2.00am? Wpuld you use the underpass at 2.00am? Not everybody works 9.00-5.00 and with at least three underpass muggings this year, I still think 'overground' is the safest option.

+Quote Post
Roost
post May 17 2012, 03:08 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

All options for crossing this section of road have inherent dangers, I guess it's just a question of which has the least.

Underpass has the risk of muggings / abuse etc.

A bridge would have a risk of falling objects or persons.

Pedestrian crossings as are present would actually seem to be the most sensible option.

Unfortunately they are always people, drivers or otherwise who are either careless or choose to ignore the accepted protocol or rules.
There are also, quite frequently, unfortunate and tragic accidents which cannot be legislated for.

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
royston
post May 17 2012, 03:12 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,554

QUOTE (wabbit @ May 17 2012, 03:45 PM) *

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 17 2012, 03:12 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

Well, it's a shame this person was died/injured (haven't read the story).
Sometimes people do drive a bit quick around this area or accelerate away from lights but when the lights go red there is still a good 4-5 second delay in peak periods between red pedestrian light and the traffic lights going green.

I can understand about the problem with underpasses at night however during the day, it would be OK. Never personally bothered me the odd time I walk through there. I would think that you need to observe the traffic signals more attentively as a pedestrian. But the circumstances around this will take a while to become fully understood.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 17 2012, 03:15 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

Very sad for the man and his family, however I use the crossings most lunchtimes and have to got to say I dont find them a problem at all. There will always be someone who steps out into the road when it is red, but realistically what can you do about it ?

+Quote Post
royston
post May 17 2012, 03:15 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,554

I totally agree drivers are ignoring the speed limit which does not appear to be monitored and would suggest that speed/jump cameras be installed this might also be a good idea at the Hambridge lights where drivers totally ignore the red lights and continually jump them especially fgrom a A4 from town turning right into Hambridge road.

+Quote Post
Roger T
post May 17 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,712

A shame. Although, I walk across here daily, normally I walk to Sainsburys from town. I also make the return journey at approximately the same time. Never have a problem, myself. I do however have a tendency to walk into lamp posts.
I see some people who will still go to cross the road, just as the red illuminated man begins to show.. late for a business meeting, I assume. Why take the risk.

+Quote Post
TJHaines
post May 17 2012, 03:24 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,617

I hope the poor man makes a full recovery in Hospital and thoughts are with his family.

However, although I know cars come speeding round the corners, and many go faster than they should do, especially between the different sets of lights, the pedestrians also cause a lot of problems.

I haven't been driving for very long, however the amount of times I have seen a pedestrian press the button and then cross without waiting for the green man because they thought it was safe to do so, and pedestrians who decide to actually cross the dual carriageway, climb over the railings in the middle and then cross on the other side is ridiculous!

I think everyone needs to have a lot more awareness of their surroundings and remember that cars will do a lot of damage to you if it hits you at speed, and they can't always be blamed if someone was to step right out in front of them.

--------------------
TJHaines

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post May 17 2012, 03:31 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

Sorry to hear about the accident.

I have previously thought whether the crossing should be moved a little towards the rail station to take it a bit away from the junction.

+Quote Post
wabbit
post May 17 2012, 03:36 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312

QUOTE (Roger T @ May 17 2012, 03:17 PM) *
A shame. Although, I walk across here daily, normally I walk to Sainsburys from town. I also make the return journey at approximately the same time. Never have a problem, myself. I do however have a tendency to walk into lamp posts.
I see some people who will still go to cross the road, just as the red illuminated man begins to show.. late for a business meeting, I assume. Why take the risk.

As this is the Newbury Weekly News forum, I'm always surprised when people post on the 'Newbury News' section of the forum without reading the news first! Isn't that how the furore over Xjay (or whatever incarnation he was at that time) occured when he didn't bother to even read a story first.

Maybe a little hasty and judgemental Roger T to assume this chap was 'late for a business meeting' - he is described as an 'elderly man' - which, let's be honest, could describe most of the members of this forum!!

As there is such an emphasis these days on health & safety (and even the proximity of our local police station!), I would have hoped there would have been regular risk assessments carried out on these crossings?

--------------------
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 17 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

QUOTE (wabbit @ May 17 2012, 04:36 PM) *
As this is the Newbury Weekly News forum, I'm always surprised when people post on the 'Newbury News' section of the forum without reading the news first! Isn't that how the furore over Xjay (or whatever incarnation he was at that time) occured when he didn't bother to even read a story first.

Maybe a little hasty and judgemental Roger T to assume this chap was 'late for a business meeting' - he is described as an 'elderly man' - which, let's be honest, could describe most of the members of this forum!!

As there is such an emphasis these days on health & safety (and even the proximity of our local police station!), I would have hoped there would have been regular risk assessments carried out on these crossings?

am not sure Rodger meant the elderly man in question, just as an example he has seen people jumping the red light.

+Quote Post
Roger T
post May 17 2012, 03:55 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,712

You are correct Andy thank you. I thought I was being quite clear, for once. You can only please some of the people, all of the time, or something like that.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 17 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Newbelly @ May 17 2012, 04:31 PM) *
Sorry to hear about the accident.

I have previously thought whether the crossing should be moved a little towards the rail station to take it a bit away from the junction.

I don't think that the lights for the pedestrians are very well sync'd. You cross from the town side to the middle on green and just as you get to the 2nd crossing it turns red. You are then tempted to flee across rather than wait.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 17 2012, 03:58 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Without knowing the circumstances of the accident it is impossible to comment on the satefy of the pedestrian crossings. I have used them many times & never have felt in any danger.

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post May 17 2012, 03:59 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 17 2012, 04:56 PM) *
I don't think that the lights for the pedestrians are very well sync'd. You cross from the town side to the middle on green and just as you get to the 2nd crossing it turns red. You are then tempted to flee across rather than wait.

Yes, I have seen people rush as a result, although I do not know if this was a factor in recent events.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 17 2012, 04:00 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

QUOTE (wabbit @ May 17 2012, 04:36 PM) *

You are joking right?

The health and safety culture is what I think is causing great damage to the UK economy... of course I am the most qualified person for the job (I taught lower level English and IT so well qualified for the financial side of things... (sarcasm))

What would you like, perhaps Hi-visibility jackets, method statements and a risk assesment form all filled out before you can use a crossing?
Crossings are clear to me and have been since childhood... light is red, you wait, light is green, you go. Of course we may bend these rules traffic flow depending but ultimately if I walk out and get hit, and the pedestrian light is red, it's only myself to blame..

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 17 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I was there when it happened (about 10ish this morning); we weren't allowed to leave Sainsbury's while the helicopter was down. It stayed down for about 30 minutes to 45 minutes.

I was almost next to the helicopter (a safe distance away) and the woman who was injured was talking to the ambulance grew; so that was some good news.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 17 2012, 04:05 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 17 2012, 04:58 PM) *
Without knowing the circumstances of the accident it is impossible to comment on the satefy of the pedestrian crossings. I uses them many times & never have felt in any danger.

The woman was crossing and she was hit by a car. The Police detained the car and the driver. The lady had head injuries.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 17 2012, 04:10 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (GMR @ May 17 2012, 05:05 PM) *
The woman was crossing and she was hit by a car. The Police detained the car and the driver. The lady had head injuries.

No **** sherlock.

I'd kind of figured that out already. NWN has it as a male pedestrian btw.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:43 AM