Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Supermarket checkouts.
GMR
post Jul 23 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

Don't you find it annoying when you go to any supermarket they always have long queues, even though there are plenty of checkouts not being used? Every time you ask if they could open an extra checkout they always give the same excuse; staff shortage.

The last time I was in Sainsbury's the staff were directing big shopping trolleys to the "Basket only" till because they are so busy. But didn't/ wouldn't open other checkouts.

While we are on the subject of checkouts; I also find the self-service checkouts frustrating. They are always requesting that you call a member of staff because of a problem. And they are always busy dealing with other complaints/ checkout problems.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 23 2012, 08:37 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 23 2012, 09:33 PM) *
Don't you find it annoying when you go to any supermarket they always have long queues, even though there are plenty of checkouts not being used? Every time you ask if they could open an extra checkout they always give the same excuse; staff shortage.

The last time I was in Sainsbury's the staff were directing big shopping trolleys to the "Basket only" till because they are so busy. But didn't/ wouldn't open other checkouts.

While we are on the subject of checkouts; I also find the self-service checkouts frustrating. They are always requesting that you call a member of staff because of a problem. And they are always busy dealing with other complaints/ checkout problems.

shoplifters paradise.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jul 23 2012, 08:46 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

When I was a kid, my Mum used to send a shopping list to the local shop listing what she wanted and it was delivered a couple of hours later.

Then came supermarkets, where you had to pick your own food and then the shop staff would run it through the checkout and another member of staff would pack it for you.

A few years later and you have to pack for yourself.

Now you have to put the stuff through the checkout for yourself as well

And they call this 'customer service' and 'progress'.

At this rate, it can only be a matter of time before you have to do some shelf filling before you can shop...

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 23 2012, 08:47 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 23 2012, 09:37 PM) *
shoplifters paradise.

I was talking to a supermarket manager about this and he told me that even though they get theft from their service-service checkouts the money they save by not hiring staff to man their checkouts compensates; and they are still in profit. They only need one person to man the self-service section. On top of that they catch the majority of thieves. So win-win all around.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 23 2012, 08:48 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Jul 23 2012, 09:46 PM) *
When I was a kid, my Mum used to send a shopping list to the local shop listing what she wanted and it was delivered a couple of hours later.

Then came supermarkets, where you had to pick your own food and then the shop staff would run it through the checkout and another member of staff would pack it for you.

At this rate, it can only be a matter of time before you have to do some shelf filling before you can shop...

The next step will be to completely shop on line and the current stores will beused as warehouses.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 23 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 23 2012, 09:47 PM) *
I was talking to a supermarket manager about this and he told me that even though they get theft from their service-service checkouts the money they save by not hiring staff to man their checkouts compensates; and they are still in profit. They only need one person to man the self-service section. On top of that they catch the majority of thieves. So win-win all around.

He is unlikely to say anything but that they catch the majority of shoplifters.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 23 2012, 08:58 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Jul 23 2012, 09:46 PM) *

Looking at it from a more positive note (the sun has put me in a good mood) we have gone full circle. We now send a shopping list to the store via the computer and is delivered. smile.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 23 2012, 09:04 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 23 2012, 09:49 PM) *
He is unlikely to say anything but that they catch the majority of shoplifters.

If you think of all the security and camera's they've got there is a good chance he is correct.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 23 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 23 2012, 10:04 PM) *
If you think of all the security and camera's they've got there is a good chance he is correct.

They might catch those who just walk out - I'm talking of those who play in the self service checkouts.

+Quote Post
SMJ
post Jul 23 2012, 11:02 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,740

Well - they caught me the last 3 times I shopped in Sainsburys - not that I had nicked anything but the alarms went off anyway - seems the security tags aren't deactivated at the self service checkouts. Not planning on shopping there again anytime soon.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 24 2012, 12:33 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SMJ @ Jul 24 2012, 12:02 AM) *
Well - they caught me the last 3 times I shopped in Sainsburys - not that I had nicked anything but the alarms went off anyway - seems the security tags aren't deactivated at the self service checkouts. Not planning on shopping there again anytime soon.

err, you need to ask a member of staff to take the tag off.........

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 24 2012, 05:24 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

GMR, have you tried Tesco?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 24 2012, 08:53 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 24 2012, 06:24 AM) *
GMR, have you tried Tesco?

Why, is it better or worse?

+Quote Post
badmummajamma
post Jul 24 2012, 10:08 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25

I also have to say that I'm very much of the opinion that the self-service checkouts don't benefit anyone but the supermarkets.
So frustrating doing my usual evening shopping at Tesco Pinchington Lane and walking past 40 closed checkouts to stand in the long queues of the 10 or so that are actually open.
To have one person manning 10 self-service checkouts is just shoddy, which is why I never use them - seriously annoying when everyone's red light inevitably goes off and you have to stand there watching your icecream melt.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 24 2012, 10:11 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (badmummajamma @ Jul 24 2012, 11:08 AM) *
I also have to say that I'm very much of the opinion that the self-service checkouts don't benefit anyone but the supermarkets.
So frustrating doing my usual evening shopping at Tesco Pinchington Lane and walking past 40 closed checkouts to stand in the long queues of the 10 or so that are actually open.
To have one person manning 10 self-service checkouts is just shoddy, which is why I never use them - seriously annoying when everyone's red light inevitably goes off and you have to stand there watching your icecream melt.

Don't worry - we'll have Aldi soon.....

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 24 2012, 10:15 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I prefer self service. The only time it is annoying is when the attendant wonders off and you have a problem with the scanner.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 24 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 24 2012, 11:15 AM) *
I prefer self service. The only time it is annoying is when the attendant wonders off and you have a problem with the scanner.

I use the full range of checkouits, depending on what I have in my basket / trolly.

If I have age restricted items, I use a conventional till.....

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 24 2012, 10:22 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 24 2012, 11:19 AM) *
I use the full range of checkouits, depending on what I have in my basket / trolly.

If I have age restricted items, I use a conventional till.....

That's basically what I do. It would be amusing to see what people thought about what it was like when we had the old trading hours and the old fashioned check-outs. Fun, fun, fun!

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Jul 24 2012, 10:22 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (badmummajamma @ Jul 24 2012, 11:08 AM) *

Ask at the help desk, if they say they haven't got staff to serve you before your frozen food melts tell them they better find someone to put it back in the freezer compartment instead!!
Then walk out and go to another shop. If enough people do it they will get the message!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 24 2012, 10:25 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 24 2012, 11:22 AM) *
That's basically what I do. It would be amusing to see what people thought about what it was like when we had the old trading hours and the old fashioned check-outs. Fun, fun, fun!

If you go to North Wales on holiday you can experience this first hand.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:07 AM