IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Minister responsible for wildlife and biodiversity trashes countryside...
Sherlock
post Apr 24 2012, 07:54 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,467

... guess who!

http://goo.gl/x0X9p
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Apr 24 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

.... guess what? The Guardian... <rolls eyes, harumphs, rustles The Telegraph and throws another benefit claimant on the fire>

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Apr 24 2012, 09:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 47

QUOTE (spartacus @ Apr 24 2012, 09:01 PM) *
.... guess what? The Guardian...

Are you saying it's untrue then? Do you have any evidence to dis-prove the blog? I think we should be told.

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Apr 25 2012, 06:31 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

QUOTE (Squelchy @ Apr 24 2012, 10:33 PM) *
Are you saying it's untrue then? Do you have any evidence to dis-prove the blog? I think we should be told.

Nah, he's saying the Guardian and its readers are extremely harumph-inducing and cause him to roll his eyes a lot. I'm a Guardian reader and I completely agree with him. They advised their readers to vote Libdem at the 2010 general election, for example. Idiots that we are, we did. Won't be making that mistake again.

This is the worst kind of drought, isn't it? One in which it rains every day.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Apr 25 2012, 08:38 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

This is the worst kind of drought, isn't it? One in which it rains every day.

I am extremely pleased with the present "drought".
I had a new roof installed in February, this is the first time it has been tested.
Seems OK. The work had to be done because we had run out of buckets and saucepans!

Back to the Telegraph and toast.
ce

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 25 2012, 10:26 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

What's the difference between an Inclosure and an Enclosure? Or is that just the Guardian trying to be different?

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Apr 25 2012, 10:45 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 25 2012, 11:26 AM) *
What's the difference between an Inclosure and an Enclosure? Or is that just the Guardian trying to be different?

When I worked in law, we used inclosure when a large piece of land was sold off in smaller sections and enclosure when a section of land was fenced or walled in.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 25 2012, 12:55 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Given the background of the author and the leanings of the publication we should hardly expect a balanced critique....

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Apr 25 2012, 03:58 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 613

It would be good for NWN to cover this story - it's in our region, with our representative and it impact our long lasting ecology. I wonder if they will have enough gumption to do it though.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 25 2012, 05:45 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Squelchy @ Apr 24 2012, 10:33 PM) *

I know the Inclosure reasonably well - but know nothing about the gravel extraction plans. However, most of that sort of activity seems to take part in a pretty boring pine plantation area - not what I would call ancient woodland. Certainly there is little going on in the swampy areas the blogger seems so fired up about - apart from some work to improve the paths and make public access easier (three cheers for Benyon Estates on that issue). I suspect that the council might actually know what it is doing in this instance.

On the OS map it is spelt Inclosure - I had to check because I thought it was Enclosure on the various signs scattered around it (I'm probably wrong).

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Apr 25 2012, 04:58 PM) *
It would be good for NWN to cover this story - it's in our region, with our representative and it impact our long lasting ecology. I wonder if they will have enough gumption to do it though.

It's in Silchester - borderline in terms of 'our region' or NWN's. But they may well pick up on it because of the Benyon connection. However I doubt it will have much effect on our long term ecology.

The only real issue is the conflict of interest between Benyon's ministerial post and his family's financial interest in many aspects he now has influence over. It's an odd dilemma - because he is a country landowner with experience of related issues he is actually not a bad choice for this ministry (at least he knows something about the post) - but the conflict of interest arises directly out of the reason he is fairly well qualified for the post. I don't really see him making different choices to any other MP who Cameron might choose for the post - his personal interests lie pretty much in line with his party's interests. If you don't want decisions and legislation that favours large landowners don't vote Tory.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Apr 25 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (blackdog @ Apr 25 2012, 06:45 PM) *
I know the Inclosure reasonably well - but know nothing about the gravel extraction plans. However, most of that sort of activity seems to take part in a pretty boring pine plantation area - not what I would call ancient woodland. Certainly there is little going on in the swampy areas the blogger seems so fired up about - apart from some work to improve the paths and make public access easier (three cheers for Benyon Estates on that issue). I suspect that the council might actually know what it is doing in this instance.

On the OS map it is spelt Inclosure - I had to check because I thought it was Enclosure on the various signs scattered around it (I'm probably wrong).

It's in Silchester - borderline in terms of 'our region' or NWN's. But they may well pick up on it because of the Benyon connection. However I doubt it will have much effect on our long term ecology.

The only real issue is the conflict of interest between Benyon's ministerial post and his family's financial interest in many aspects he now has influence over. It's an odd dilemma - because he is a country landowner with experience of related issues he is actually not a bad choice for this ministry (at least he knows something about the post) - but the conflict of interest arises directly out of the reason he is fairly well qualified for the post. I don't really see him making different choices to any other MP who Cameron might choose for the post - his personal interests lie pretty much in line with his party's interests. If you don't want decisions and legislation that favours large landowners don't vote Tory.

Trouble is there is no alternative party to vote for is there ? As I have stated before most voters put a cross against the rival candidate that will keep out the candidate that they least would like in power.

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 25 2012, 06:12 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Apr 25 2012, 04:58 PM) *

How should they 'cover' the story? If it is a story.....

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Apr 25 2012, 06:27 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

I believe inclosure was the early word for it, but by the 1850s when Wash Common was enclosed the word had become enclosure. I also heard than inclosure was when the land was fenced in with a view to keeping livestock in, and enclosure when the idea was keeping livestock out (or possibly the other way round) but I'm not sure that's right now.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:44 PM