> Queues!
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 24 2009, 08:32 PM) *
Even if someone wishes to use the quick tills because you, maybe selfishly, cannot wait like everyone else?

The point is, should a sufficient number of people adopt your attitude (I agree there is no harm in asking), then we would effectively have no quick tills!

I might have misunderstood what you said, but I feel I didn't misread when I read, "If the other tills are full I use them (irrespective of how many items I’ve got). And if anybody says anything to me I tell them to open up other tills or would they prefer if I did my shopping somewhere else.", other than the subsequent humility you described, this lacked the one thing that would have altered my opinion of your attitude and that is a line that stated something like, 'provided no-one else was using the till'. This wasn't clear in your original post.

I still say though, to use the tills as you describe could be construed as being ignorant, if only that it might set a precedent which eventually renders quick tills pointless.

I do agree though that should queues form, one should ask for more cashiers.

Ignorant by your reckoning, not others. Only a fool will stand there why there are perfectly good tills standing idle. On top of that I've asked managers in various food stores and they've all said the same; if they are empty (the 5 items or less tills) then they should be used; how is that ignorant? The opposite is stupidity, surely? However, if you prefer to wait while others use their brains; well, that is your right. I have many friends in the trade and they all say the same.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 24 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 24 2009, 09:13 PM) *
Ignorant by your reckoning, not others. Only a fool will stand there why there are perfectly good tills standing idle. On top of that I've asked managers in various food stores and they've all said the same; if they are empty (the 5 items or less tills) then they should be used; how is that ignorant? The opposite is stupidity, surely? However, if you prefer to wait while others use their brains; well, that is your right. I have many friends in the trade and they all say the same.

I have argued my point and described why. Alas, you have not addressed my points, but merely repeated yourself. If you have nothing new to say (I have not), shall we leave this here?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 24 2009, 11:13 PM) *
I have argued my point and described why. Alas, you have not addressed my points, but merely repeated yourself. If you have nothing new to say (I have not), shall we leave this here?

At the end of the day we've both argued our point; it is now for others to judge. It was a good clean debate and that is what it should be all about. Just one point; I believe I had answered all your questions.

All the best my friend,

Glenn

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 24 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 24 2009, 11:28 PM) *
At the end of the day we've both argued our point; it is now for others to judge. It was a good clean debate and that is what it should be all about. Just one point; I believe I had answered all your questions.

In your apparent eagerness to defend yourself wink.gif , you missed my point twice... tongue.gif

"The point is, should a sufficient number of people adopt your attitude (I agree there is no harm in asking), then we would effectively have no quick tills!"

"I still say though, to use the tills as you describe could be construed as being ignorant, if only that it might set a precedent which eventually renders quick tills pointless."

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 10:54 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

I apologise for not answering your question to your satisfaction, even though I thought I did. However, I will give it another go.

"The point is, should a sufficient number of people adopt your attitude (I agree there is no harm in asking), then we would effectively have no quick tills!"

Why wouldn’t we have any quick tills? All I am suggesting is that if they are empty and there are long queues everywhere else then, yes, they should be used. Store managers I have talked to concur. In fact they insist. As for what I would recommend; people must go by their own conscience, not mine.

"I still say though, to use the tills as you describe could be construed as being ignorant, if only that it might set a precedent which eventually renders quick tills pointless."

“Ignorant” is the wrong word. I would use the word “initiative (using ones)”. You probably would prefer the word “ignorant” because you are probably one of those timid people who hold back and would rather follow whatever authority has set for you. As for setting a “precedent”; it would be nice if a “precedent” was set because someone else used their “initiative.”

If people are happy to wait then good for them, but what annoys me is when people just stand there and moan and do nothing; either accept your situation or do something.

Now, I hope I’ve answered your question; if not please feel free and come back at me. After all; we are here to learn from one another and have an intelligent debate. Whether I am right or wrong in your eyes, or anybody else's, I’ve enjoyed debating with you.

All the best my friend,

Glenn

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 24 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

GMR, you wrote...

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 24 2009, 11:54 PM) *
I apologise for not answering your question to your satisfaction, even though I thought I did. However, I will give it another go.

You then went on to write...

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 24 2009, 11:54 PM) *
Why wouldn’t we have any quick tills?

Well I'm afraid answering a question with a question is a long way from home for me. The rest of your post was just a repeat of what you have already said, including an unjustifiable assessment of my personality.

I will simply add that the situation for me would be a very rare one because I...

1) Usually shop at Tesco and they have a number of self-serve tills.
2) Tesco also don't often have a cashier at the quick tills when I shop...
3) ...which is often later in the day when it is usually quiet.

I can assure you I am far from timid if I feel I am not being served in a proper manner and this will also go with other customers that I feel act anti-socially.

Another thing, I was not alone in describing your behaviour as impolite, so I will change one word I used - ignorant. You are right, that is the wrong word. Ignorance is often unintentional; using the quick tills "irrespective of how many items I’ve got", is just rude (or at least cheeky). I say this, because the only people that will 'suffer' from your action woul be another customer.

Presumably, people driving down the clear outside lane, only to cut in the cue when the road ends are also only using their initiative? After all the road is clear, why not use it. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jun 25 2009, 08:15 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

Shouldn't this be in the 'Random Rants' forum?

Hardly 'Newbury News' is it? wink.gif

To add to the topic though, I shop in 4 supermarkets in Newbury (although I guess one could hardly be described as 'super') One is appalling for till queues - spot an empty one and you're guaranteed to be there 2 seconds after the 'Sorry, this till is closing' sign appears and another will open another till as soon as more than 2 people are queuing (this one is actually the one I decribed as not so 'super' - this was due to it's size!)

The remaining 2 are pretty ok i.m.h.o.

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jun 25 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

I agree with certain points from both Iommi and GMR.

If I had more than 10 items and there were more than one fast till open and they weren't being used, I'd use it. But if there was only one fast till open, I'd wait in line with the rest who have more than 10 items. I know how annoying it is when I only have to buy one or two items and someone with a lot of items is using the fast till.

I also wouldn't say those who don't use the fast till if it's free are stupid. They're just considerate. It would be so much better if everyone thought about other people instead of having a 'me me me' attitude.

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jun 25 2009, 08:53 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (JMH @ Jun 25 2009, 09:15 AM) *
Shouldn't this be in the 'Random Rants' forum?

Hardly 'Newbury News' is it? wink.gif

To add to the topic though, I shop in 4 supermarkets in Newbury (although I guess one could hardly be described as 'super') One is appalling for till queues - spot an empty one and you're guaranteed to be there 2 seconds after the 'Sorry, this till is closing' sign appears and another will open another till as soon as more than 2 people are queuing (this one is actually the one I decribed as not so 'super' - this was due to it's size!)

The remaining 2 are pretty ok i.m.h.o.

wouldn't happen to be a certain shop by a double roundabout and two pubs by any chance, would it? wink.gif

I have the same thoughts as you. I shop in various different places, some places are okay, some are just ridiculous regardless of the time of day!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 25 2009, 09:06 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Andrea @ Jun 25 2009, 09:53 AM) *
wouldn't happen to be a certain shop by a double roundabout and two pubs by any chance, would it? wink.gif

I have the same thoughts as you. I shop in various different places, some places are okay, some are just ridiculous regardless of the time of day!

Classis 'super' market this one - And if you want to buy any alcohol you have to wait 10 minutes for one of the 'Managers' to extricate themelves from the back office to 'code 18' you. Slave labour methinks!!!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 25 2009, 09:48 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Another thing, I was not alone in describing your behaviour as impolite, so I will change one word I used - ignorant. You are right, that is the wrong word. Ignorance is often unintentional; using the quick tills "irrespective of how many items I’ve got", is just rude (or at least cheeky). I say this, because the only people that will 'suffer' from your action woul be another customer.

You either haven’t read what I said or didn’t understand what I said. I did say that Branch managers of such stores concur when such 5 items or fewer tills are not in use. You seem to ignore what I’ve said and bulldoze on. Let others judge both our comments. I am sure there are people who will understand what I am saying.

As for my “behaviour”; that is just your opinion. If I have made a mistake I usually apologise. Do you apologise for your tone?

Presumably, people driving down the clear outside lane, only to cut in the cue when the road ends are also only using their initiative? After all the road is clear, why not use it.

My behaviour is never rude or bad. When I do something I do it with showing the respect of others.

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jun 25 2009, 09:52 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 25 2009, 10:06 AM) *
Classis 'super' market this one - And if you want to buy any alcohol you have to wait 10 minutes for one of the 'Managers' to extricate themelves from the back office to 'code 18' you. Slave labour methinks!!!

Indeed, yes, you and previous poster have both guessed correctly! Also, do noy try and but a DVD from them as they can never find it! laugh.gif

However, you can hire a rug doctor and it's beats going to Homebase!

Get's my vote tho.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 25 2009, 10:20 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

In an effort to beat Bill1 at the pedantry stakes, it's "five items or fewer", not "less". tongue.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 25 2009, 10:27 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jun 25 2009, 11:20 AM) *
In an effort to beat Bill1 at the pedantry stakes, it's "five items or fewer", not "less". tongue.gif

Quite right! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 25 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 25 2009, 10:48 AM) *
You either haven’t read what I said or didn’t understand what I said.
I can assure you I have and you have said nothing to change my mind, indeed you continue to ignore my point.

I did say that Branch managers of such stores concur when such 5 items or fewer tills are not in use. You seem to ignore what I’ve said and bulldoze on.

I think am guilty of neither, it is just that this point is irrelevant to my point, so I ignored it, for it doesn't affect what I said.

Let others judge both our comments. I am sure there are people who will understand what I am saying.
I agree and I can assure you I do understand your point, but you seem to continually over look mine.

As for my “behaviour”; that is just your opinion. If I have made a mistake I usually apologise. Do you apologise for your tone?
Yes, when I feel it deserved. Your behaviour was questioned by more than myself remember, but please realise I am questioning a specific issue, not your general conduct.

My behaviour is never rude or bad. When I do something I do it with showing the respect of others.

That is some thing I am questioning at the moment, but you seem to be reluctant to acknowledge it, but please, this has turned into a slanging match, can we focus on the points?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 25 2009, 11:56 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

I think you are becoming a bit obsessive, however, I shall try again to answer your questions.

I agree and I can assure you I do understand your point, but you seem to continually over look mine.

I have been answering your point, but you constantly decide to over look it. I think this started of as a serious debate, you’ve now turned it into a hunting obsession.

Yes, when I feel it deserved. You behaviour was questioned by more than myself remember, but realise I ma questioning a specific issue, not your general behaviour.

There was nothing wrong with my behaviour, somebody wasn’t happy with something I said and I explained. They seem to have gone away contented. However, if you are now the moral police officer on here then maybe you should bring forum members concerns directly to the person who has been identified. I disagree with your last statement; you’ve pointed the finger, which has nothing to do with the main topic.

That is some thing I am questioning at the moment, but you seem to be reluctant to acknowledge it, but please, this has turned into a slanging match, can we focus on the points?

I agree; and your obsession started it. I have covered the points. More than once.

Now; I wish you all the best my friend… but if you must come back I’ll try my best to satisfy you - again. If you are looking for an apology for whatever reason then I would gladly give you one if it reins in your fixation.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 25 2009, 01:11 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 25 2009, 12:56 PM) *
I think you are becoming a bit obsessive, however, I shall try again to answer your questions....
If you actually would, that would be nice, but until you do I would rather leave this here.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 25 2009, 01:15 PM
Post #38

Guests

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jun 25 2009, 11:20 AM) *

Aw shucks guys I'm honoured. wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 25 2009, 01:33 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 25 2009, 02:11 PM) *
If you actually would, that would be nice, but until you do I would rather leave this here.

Well, you've actually got to say something for me to answer your question because as far as I am concerned I have already answered you. Nevertheless this isn't about me answering your questions, but more to do with your baiting for sport. Don't get me wrong; I am not criticising you for this as I've been on enough forums to know how obsessives one can get. In a way it is quite touching that someone has fixated on me. Better still if you are a woman, but I doubt it.

Again, I put my hand out to you and wish you well; I have enjoyed your baiting.... let let us now move on. I think people are starting to get tired of this fisty cuffs/ jousting. wink.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 25 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #40

Guests

GMR wrote "I've been on enough forums to know how obsessives one can get."

Really? We wouldn't have noticed wink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:46 AM