> Civil Enforcement Officers
TallDarkAndHands...
post Mar 29 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=12861

If something was free to the tax payer why move to something that costs money?
And 17 of them? I know this has been discussed before but surely this is OTT. I would have thought 10 would have been more than enough for this area?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 29 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

The CEOs have indeed been discussed before - ad infititum.

The new aspect of the story is that WBC are, in effect, vacating an office supplied by Kennet Shopping free of charge in order to occupy (with the attendant overheads) an office in the soon to be redundant bus station. Why?

Once Parkway is complete the bus station will, presumably, be demolished to make way for the new 'urban village' scheme and the CEOs will have to be rehoused again - will Kennet Shopping allow them a FREE office then?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Mar 29 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 29 2010, 11:30 AM) *
The CEOs have indeed been discussed before - ad infititum.

The new aspect of the story is that WBC are, in effect, vacating an office supplied by Kennet Shopping free of charge in order to occupy (with the attendant overheads) an office in the soon to be redundant bus station. Why?

Once Parkway is complete the bus station will, presumably, be demolished to make way for the new 'urban village' scheme and the CEOs will have to be rehoused again - will Kennet Shopping allow them a FREE office then?

My point exactly. In these times of hardship I would have thought that the Council would be as prudent as possible with the tax payers money. Obviously not.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 29 2010, 01:53 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Since the article states that the bus station is owned by the council, why would it cost money?

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 29 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 29 2010, 02:53 PM) *
Since the article states that the bus station is owned by the council, why would it cost money?
To be fair to the article it doesn't say that it's going to cost any more money.

I can't see how moving from one council owned property to another would cost any more in overheads, perhaps the posters who claim it will could enlighten us?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 29 2010, 09:14 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 29 2010, 06:46 PM) *
To be fair to the article it doesn't say that it's going to cost any more money.

But it implies it.

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 29 2010, 06:46 PM) *
I can't see how moving from one council owned property to another would cost any more in overheads, perhaps the posters who claim it will could enlighten us?

If that was the case you would have a point - but it seems they are moving from an office supplied (free) by Kennet Shopping to an office that they will no doubt have redecorated and quite possibly furnished, will certainly heat and light and they will have to pay any rates over and above those on an empty office.

If Kennet Shopping want them out then the move is quite possibly a good one, otherwise it seems to be one that will cost WBC extra.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 29 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

What on earth are 'Civil Enforcement Officers'? You're confusing posters on this site..... I thought they were exclusively referred to as 'Green Meanies'

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 30 2010, 07:19 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 29 2010, 10:14 PM) *
But it implies it.

If that was the case you would have a point - but it seems they are moving from an office supplied (free) by Kennet Shopping to an office that they will no doubt have redecorated and quite possibly furnished, will certainly heat and light and they will have to pay any rates over and above those on an empty office.
No it doesn't, you've just read into it what you wanted to see.

Of course there's doubt whether they've redecorated and quite possibly furnished it unless you know that they did. I would have thought they'd just carry their old furnishings the short walk across the road to their new office. Again, you're making stuff up.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Mar 30 2010, 08:01 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Perhaps they could have used the old bus station office to house all those in the council with intelligence [joking] tongue.gif !

+Quote Post
Darren
post Mar 30 2010, 08:07 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

I would hardly call the space in the car park and office. More like empty prison cells. wink.gif

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 30 2010, 08:37 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 30 2010, 08:19 AM) *
No it doesn't, you've just read into it what you wanted to see.

Of course it does. 'at no extra cost to the council, BUT ....'. The WBC spokesperson is being reported, as making an excuse for the move and the 'no extra cost' bit makes it pretty clear that it is the cost that is the issue.

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 30 2010, 08:19 AM) *
Of course there's doubt whether they've redecorated and quite possibly furnished it unless you know that they did. I would have thought they'd just carry their old furnishings the short walk across the road to their new office. Again, you're making stuff up.

Regardless of the decoration and furnishing they will be paying for heating/lighting/rates - unavoidable costs that were not being incurred in Kennet Shopping.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Mar 30 2010, 08:42 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Did KS offer their space for free? Presumably they rented the space out. It would then just be a case of comparing the costs, surely?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 30 2010, 10:12 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

If you think councils wast money in this area read this - it's hilarious (although somewhat worrying!).

Link

(waits for comments about "Daily Mail" - but it's still good)

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 30 2010, 12:02 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 30 2010, 09:37 AM) *
Of course it does. 'at no extra cost to the council, BUT ....'. The WBC spokesperson is being reported, as making an excuse for the move and the 'no extra cost' bit makes it pretty clear that it is the cost that is the issue.

Regardless of the decoration and furnishing they will be paying for heating/lighting/rates - unavoidable costs that were not being incurred in Kennet Shopping.
I would have thought the building would have been heated and lit before they moved in. As for rates, how will them moving in affect the rates? Does the Council even pay rates on it's own property?

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 30 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 30 2010, 11:12 AM) *
If you think councils wast money in this area read this - it's hilarious (although somewhat worrying!).

Link

(waits for comments about "Daily Mail" - but it's still good)
The most important sentence in that whole article is

"Over the years, I've made a good living pillorying this never- ending carnival of politically motivated profligacy."

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Mar 30 2010, 12:42 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 30 2010, 01:09 PM) *
The most important sentence in that whole article is "Over the years, I've made a good living pillorying this never- ending carnival of politically motivated profligacy."

Often matched by some of the salaries of the people who work for these, apparently profligate, institutions he pillories.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Mar 30 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 30 2010, 01:09 PM) *
The most important sentence in that whole article is

"Over the years, I've made a good living pillorying this never- ending carnival of politically motivated profligacy."

You read this article and it makes you chuckle but when you have finished and sit back and think about what it is actually saying, it makes you cry.
We, as a Society, are losing all sense of reality and the rule of "common sense"

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 30 2010, 12:59 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 30 2010, 01:02 PM) *
I would have thought the building would have been heated and lit before they moved in. As for rates, how will them moving in affect the rates? Does the Council even pay rates on it's own property?

Why heat and light an empty property that is due for demolition in a year or two? Is this common practice at WBC?

Rates (uniform business rate) are paid to the Treasury, not the council (though the council does have to collect them).

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Mar 30 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

One useful feature of this building being used, is that it might help to protect it from vandalism, thus helping to prevent it from becoming (even more of) an eyesore.

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 30 2010, 05:38 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 30 2010, 01:59 PM) *
Why heat and light an empty property that is due for demolition in a year or two? Is this common practice at WBC?
Are you sure it was totally empty? How is the fact that it's marked for demolition in a year or two relevant?

You seem to have made a very large mountain of what's most likely a non existent molehill here. Why is that?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 03:27 AM