IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Accident at Sainsbury's Roundabout, ...waiting to happen?
Roger T
post May 17 2012, 04:12 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,712

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 17 2012, 05:10 PM) *
No **** sherlock.

I'd kind of figured that out already. NWN has it as a male pedestrian btw.

It's good then, that I didn't read the news paper.
"The elderly man woman toddler was or wasn't probably injured today.."

The real reason why I didn't read was, I was confused.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 17 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 17 2012, 05:10 PM) *
No **** sherlock.

I'd kind of figured that out already. NWN has it as a male pedestrian btw.

I was there and it was a woman. An oldish woman. The police officer I was talking to at the time confirmed it.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post May 17 2012, 04:16 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

For all those that claim that vehicles are constantly speeding here, you need to realise that the speed limit on the roundabout is 40 mph.

The traffic and pedestrian lights are phased to provide minimum inconvenience for everybody. This means that it is not possible to cross the A339 as a pedestrian all the way on one change of the lights. .Likewise, when turning right at the roundabout in a vehicle, it is not possible to get green lights all the way. If all parties are obeying the lights, it is not possible to have a pedestrian/vehicle collision.

What this heavily-used roundabout actually needs - money allowing - is a North-South single lane in each direction bridge for light vehicles. (a bit like the Chiswick flyover). This would remove a great deal of vehicular traffic from the junction and thus reduce the queuing.

+Quote Post
wabbit
post May 17 2012, 04:18 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312

QUOTE (Timbo @ May 17 2012, 04:00 PM) *
You are joking right?

The health and safety culture is what I think is causing great damage to the UK economy... of course I am the most qualified person for the job (I taught lower level English and IT so well qualified for the financial side of things... (sarcasm))

What would you like, perhaps Hi-visibility jackets, method statements and a risk assesment form all filled out before you can use a crossing?
Crossings are clear to me and have been since childhood... light is red, you wait, light is green, you go. Of course we may bend these rules traffic flow depending but ultimately if I walk out and get hit, and the pedestrian light is red, it's only myself to blame..

Yes, Timbo, as an ex academic, you're right - you'll have recognised it instantly - it's called irony! - and I agree about 'elf and safety' ruining most fun things but crossing roads is a necessity and crossings should be inherently safe.

If you're old enough to remember The Tufty Club wink.gif, you, like me, would have learned all your road safety from a squirrel! I guess in some instances, it would be 'my fault' if I was hit while crossing a road but when my sister was hit by a car when she was 7, crossing a road from school, I'd like to think the consensus of opinion at the time wasn't that it was her own fault. To blame the pedestrian is to assume no drivers ever jump lights or act recklessly (neither of which I am suggesting was the case here).

And, thanks to GMR, we now know it was a lady (not a gentleman) and she is ok - so good news all round (and not very accurate news cover by NWN I'm afraid!). So obviously late for her hair appointment no doubt!!

--------------------
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 17 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Timbo @ May 17 2012, 05:00 PM) *
Crossings are clear to me and have been since childhood... light is red, you wait, light is green, you go. Of course we may bend these rules traffic flow depending but ultimately if I walk out and get hit, and the pedestrian light is red, it's only myself to blame..

There is the possibility that you walk out on green and the vehicle has not stopped for the red light and hits you.
I have seen many vehicles go through red at both Sainburys and Robin Hood.
Best not to just rely on the green cross signal but still look out for traffic that may be breaking the rules.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 17 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (GMR @ May 17 2012, 05:13 PM) *
I was there and it was a woman. An oldish woman. The police officer I was talking to at the time confirmed it.

Tuned into your scanner again?

73 apparently

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 17 2012, 04:26 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wabbit @ May 17 2012, 05:18 PM) *
So obviously late for her hair appointment no doubt!!

Hmm, I see another thread deletion on the horizon.....

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 17 2012, 04:26 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 17 2012, 05:24 PM) *
Tunes into your scanner again?

73 apparently

Would you like to write that in English?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 17 2012, 04:27 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ May 17 2012, 05:26 PM) *
Would you like to write that in English?

73 apparently

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 17 2012, 04:29 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 17 2012, 05:27 PM) *

73 apparently

I haven't got a scanner, but I was there... unlike you who probably uses a scanner. Seeing as you know what number it is. wink.gif

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 17 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

QUOTE (GMR @ May 17 2012, 05:29 PM) *
I haven't got a scanner, but I was there... unlike you who probably uses a scanner. Seeing as you know what number it is. wink.gif

it means the old lady was 73, suprised they used the air ambulance is she was sat up and talking. Although they prob did'nt know the nature of her injurys.

+Quote Post
badger
post May 17 2012, 04:37 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 249

I cross at that junction several times a week. I also drive through it daily. I never cross unless on green as I've lost count of the times cars have jumped a red to get through the roundabout. When driving I frequently see drivers jumping the red or moving into the roundabout before it is clear. Colleagues and I have commented many times on how you take your life in your hands using the ped. crossing. Having said all this, from where the police/fire road markings are I would say either the injured person has been hit at the crossing and traveled with the car for some distance, or was not using the crossing at all. very sad and likely avoidable.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 17 2012, 04:37 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ May 17 2012, 05:34 PM) *
it means the old lady was 73, suprised they used the air ambulance is she was sat up and talking. Although they prob did'nt know the nature of her injurys.

Thanks.

She wasn't sat up talking. She was lying flat on her back on the stretcher. But you could see the ambulance lady talking to her and smiling. And of course she had her eyes open. But it was head injuries; which could mean anything.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 17 2012, 04:39 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (wabbit @ May 17 2012, 05:18 PM) *
but crossing roads is a necessity and crossings should be inherently safe.

They are.
It's some of the people that use them, both pedestrians and drivers (and cyclists!), who aren't.
(Similar story for level crossings and the such like.)

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 17 2012, 04:54 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ May 17 2012, 05:29 PM) *

You just seem to have a knack of being in theright place at the 'right' time.

The person injured was reported as being 73 you twerp.

+Quote Post
wabbit
post May 17 2012, 04:54 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 17 2012, 05:26 PM) *
Hmm, I see another thread deletion on the horizon.....

Irony wink.gif - surely men do 'business', while women only do 'hair and nails'! I most certainly was not suggesting this seriously!!

--------------------
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist

+Quote Post
theone09
post May 17 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 341

It was a man not a women GMR!

Also, I've been told that the man was crossing when the pedestrian light was on red.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 17 2012, 06:31 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Once they get to a certain age, they all look the same (to the witness)! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 17 2012, 06:34 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (GMR @ May 17 2012, 05:04 PM) *
I was there when it happened (about 10ish this morning); we weren't allowed to leave Sainsbury's while the helicopter was down. It stayed down for about 30 minutes to 45 minutes.

I was almost next to the helicopter (a safe distance away) and the woman who was injured was talking to the ambulance grew; so that was some good news.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 17 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Timbo @ May 17 2012, 05:00 PM) *
You are joking right?

The health and safety culture is what I think is causing great damage to the UK economy... of course I am the most qualified person for the job (I taught lower level English and IT so well qualified for the financial side of things... (sarcasm))

What would you like, perhaps Hi-visibility jackets, method statements and a risk assesment form all filled out before you can use a crossing?

Surely this is a golden opportunity to install some nice rising bollards to protect the pedestrians. wink.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 02:50 PM