Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Government Petition, Bonfire Night
James_Trinder
post Nov 7 2015, 03:40 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 48

I’ve made a petition – will you sign it?
Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/11...00G18fxTIBIbydU
My petition:
Make 5th November into a new bank holiday
Currently there is a 4 month gap between the late summer and the Christmas/New Year bank holidays in the United Kingdom. Celebrating 5th November would both bridge this gap and also introduce a truly national holiday for the whole United Kingdom, thereby commemorating a truly important anniversary.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Nov 7 2015, 10:35 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Nov 7 2015, 03:40 PM) *
I've made a petition – will you sign it? Click this link to sign the petition: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/11...00G18fxTIBIbydU My petition: Make 5th November into a new bank holiday Currently there is a 4 month gap between the late summer and the Christmas/New Year bank holidays in the United Kingdom. Celebrating 5th November would both bridge this gap and also introduce a truly national holiday for the whole United Kingdom, thereby commemorating a truly important anniversary.

Only if the government pay the wages of the staff for the day.

+Quote Post
Petra
post Nov 8 2015, 09:50 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,567

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Nov 7 2015, 03:40 PM) *
My petition:
Currently there is a 4 month gap between the late summer and the Christmas/New Year bank holidays in the United Kingdom. Celebrating 5th November would both bridge this gap and also introduce a truly national holiday for the whole United Kingdom, thereby commemorating a truly important anniversary.

Mr Trinder,

A petition in easy times are commendable, but in hard times a luxury too far. No, not more holidays, but more backs to the walls to get this economy working. For my sins I work almost 5 days a week and have the weekend for myself. That is surely enough? Pick up your shovel and start digging Mr Trinder and shows those that only want to live on the welfare state for nothing is wrong. We must be the country of work, not a layabout and knockabout society. Britain had a great Empire because of hard work and a strong mentality. Think again Mr Trinder, think for the greater good and blow your petition back into the wind.

Yours,

Petra

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Nov 8 2015, 11:55 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Nov 7 2015, 04:40 PM) *
My petition:

Good idea in principle, however, a more suitable celebration would be better. It is true the provision of public holidays in Britain is in deficit when compared to other European nations.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 8 2015, 01:06 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Sorry James, I'm not a big fan of November 5th, it scares my dogs and I don't particularly want to encourage the celebration of seventeenth century religious intolerance.

I do agree though that the end of the year is short a public holiday, and I think public holidays are something to be encouraged if they bring communities together, so I would support the proposal to make Apple Day a public holiday around 30 October, celebrating as it does our agrarian traditions and the old religion.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Nov 8 2015, 01:18 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

And anyway, why should we celebrate a FAILED attempt to blow up Parliament? Take Simons point re distress to animals.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Nov 8 2015, 01:40 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Petra @ Nov 8 2015, 09:50 AM) *
, A petition in easy times are commendable, but in hard times a luxury too far. No, not more holidays, but more backs to the walls to get this economy working.

I agree. We are not having the best of times in the small business world and forcing public bank holidays into the employer's balance sheet is not what should be happening. Excellent for the government in the popularity stakes but if that's what they want, give industry the opportunity to claim back their wages and on cost expenditure from our "generous" government.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 8 2015, 03:07 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Nov 8 2015, 01:40 PM) *
I agree. We are not having the best of times in the small business world and forcing public bank holidays into the employer's balance sheet is not what should be happening. Excellent for the government in the popularity stakes but if that's what they want, give industry the opportunity to claim back their wages and on cost expenditure from our "generous" government.

Employers already have this as bank holidays can count towards your annual entitlements.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 8 2015, 07:16 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

We could follow our American cousins - Thanksgiving Day. Essentially started as a pilgrim fathers version of Harvest Festival, but a day just to give thanks, certainly worth a thought.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 8 2015, 07:53 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

How about Independence Day - celebrating the day we separated from the USA.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 8 2015, 08:00 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 8 2015, 07:53 PM) *
How about Independence Day - celebrating the day we separated from the USA.

Great idea, but it hasn't happened yet. Let's scrap Trident for a start.

--------------------

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Nov 9 2015, 01:23 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Ooooh, you lefty you!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 9 2015, 09:34 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Nov 9 2015, 01:23 AM) *
Ooooh, you lefty you!

I'm just warming up. I admire Jeremy Corbyn's approach to politics and like much of his policy ideas and I've recently joined the Labour Party.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Nov 9 2015, 10:08 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Nov 9 2015, 10:34 AM) *
I'm just warming up. I admire Jeremy Corbyn's approach to politics and like much of his policy ideas and I've recently joined the Labour Party.

Personally, I think he's dangerous. His views on defense are naive and while they may be populist in some quarters he could well take us on a course from which we may not recover and come home safe from.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Nov 9 2015, 11:01 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Now I have my state pension,(a bit from the state since June.)
Andrew Lloyd Webber's contribution and a serious widowers bit.
Every day is a Bank Holiday.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 9 2015, 11:17 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Nov 9 2015, 10:08 AM) *
Personally, I think he's dangerous. His views on defense are naive and while they may be populist in some quarters he could well take us on a course from which we may not recover and come home safe from.

Certainly once we start thinking about nuclear conflict or defence, politics on both sides is fraught with danger. I'm by no means convinced that the massive number and types of nuclear weapons we have are of any more deterrent value than just one. Also, like it or not, the base technologies are the same, it worries me greatly that we do not have the national skill sets to design and operate nuclear power plants, but we apparently do have the skills and knowledge to manage nuclear weapons.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 9 2015, 12:13 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 9 2015, 11:17 AM) *
Certainly once we start thinking about nuclear conflict or defence, politics on both sides is fraught with danger. I'm by no means convinced that the massive number and types of nuclear weapons we have are of any more deterrent value than just one. Also, like it or not, the base technologies are the same, it worries me greatly that we do not have the national skill sets to design and operate nuclear power plants, but we apparently do have the skills and knowledge to manage nuclear weapons.

Very much so.

Trident was a deterrent against the very specific threat from Russia and it is designed specifically to overcome the anti-ballistic missile defences of Moscow. None of that makes it a particularly effective detetrent against any conceivable threat to the UK, the majority of which are from irregular warfare from nations whose beef is with the imperialist oppression of the USA - hosting an American missile system (albeit with a British warhead) simply attracts hostile attention to what would otherwise be a peaceful banorthern European backwater. If the pro-Trident brigade had any idea about what they wanted they'd actually be demanding a WE177 replacement.

And yes, the very real question of energy security is completely ignored and we would be so much better off by instead investing the enormous cost of Trident in our domestic energy generation and providing free university education for the genetation of scientists and engineers who will run it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 9 2015, 12:15 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 9 2015, 11:17 AM) *

But we only have one type - Trident.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 9 2015, 01:48 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 9 2015, 12:15 PM) *
But we only have one type - Trident.

'Trident' I can recall an old friend of mine explaining badge engineering.....Nonetheless, there are still quite few of those though. Also, for this debate, we aren't actually on our own, our friends stockpile needs to be considered! How many times do we need to blast the planet to destruction?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Nov 10 2015, 11:13 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

I would go for Trafalgar Day - 21st October.

two reasons:
1) it links pretty well with the half-term holiday anyway, and
2) it will annoy the French tongue.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:45 PM