IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Library in London refused to lend scissors, Another non-story.
Darren
post Sep 26 2009, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8276243.stm

Someone needs to borrow a dictionary instead and then look up the definitions of 'Library'. Somehow I don't think "Lender of office equipment" in one of them. rolleyes.gif

What next, ask to borrow a set of steps, or that fetching bookcase in the corner?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 26 2009, 02:34 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Its a silly situation. In very simple terms the 'Borrower' ought to realise that a Library isn't the place to borrow equipment or indeed 'trim leaflets' even if it was in support of her business! Similarly, the 'lender' should have simply said no - there was no need to elaborate. We seem to have lost sight of what libraries are intended to do. Can see the results of the confusion at our own Library; which is now part free childcare facility, a meeting, rather like a food free Startbucks! So I'm not at all surprised by the confusion elsewhere.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 26 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I agree what everybody said and the meaning of the word ‘library’ but there is another silly point here; political correctness. Lending her a pair of scissors could infer that she wanted to stab a member of staff. Does that mean Sainsbury’s or Tesco’s or any other store shouldn’t sell knives because they might be used to kill a member of staff? What about selling cars; they could be used to run over the seller as well. This is stupid and the person should be sacked.

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Sep 26 2009, 03:02 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 26 2009, 03:34 PM) *
Can see the results of the confusion at our own Library; which is now part free childcare facility, a meeting, rather like a food free Startbucks!

I'm not quite sure what that means, but my local library has a play area with toys as well as books and I believe coffee is available on request.

I don't see this as a problem, in fact it's good that families can come in together and get into the habit of enjoying books as part of normal everyday life.

My library is far from silent thank goodness, I would say more on the lines of comfortably quiet. It's the norm to pop in and see children enjoying looking through books, members using the computers, and no SILENCE PLEASE signs anywhere. I am sure if asked our librarian would have willingly loaned out a pair of scissors.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 26 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Sarah @ Sep 26 2009, 04:02 PM) *
I'm not quite sure what that means, but my local library has a play area with toys as well as books and I believe coffee is available on request.

I don't see this as a problem, in fact it's good that families can come in together and get into the habit of enjoying books as part of normal everyday life.

My library is far from silent thank goodness, I would say more on the lines of comfortably quiet. It's the norm to pop in and see children enjoying looking through books, members using the computers, and no SILENCE PLEASE signs anywhere. I am sure if asked our librarian would have willingly loaned out a pair of scissors.

Then your library is in the wrong; the hot coffee could be used as a weapon against a member of staff. Maybe they should be reported wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 26 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I'm a bit traditional (old-fashioned) about libraries and bookshops. While total silence is actually very distracting, I really object to coffee etc. being carried around. Borders is really a Starbucks with a lending library attached...

I expect the "you might stab me" reply was added to provide a reason (albeit a poor one) as to why they couldn't borrow said items.

Librarians rule. OOK.

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Sep 26 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Whichever way a library is run there will be some drawbacks for a few, but on the whole I think the new approach of more family friendly libraries is a good thing.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 26 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

What is crazy about this story (apart from the borough apologising), is that the woman apparently came in off the street to borrow scissors and/or a guillotine to take away with her - at least that's how I understood it, unless she was toting dress material around several North London libraries to cut out her dress on the premises. Which again is a crazy notion.

I can understand a request if someone had photocopied something in the library and wanted to cut something out of it as part of some research they were doing there.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 26 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I think the excuse that was given just made the librarian sound like an idiot, however why should anyone expect to be leant office equipment at the library? I wouldn't expect that, I might ask if I was desperate but wouldn't be upset if I was told no. As for kids in libraries, I think it would be OK if they were quiet but increasingly parents seem to be of the belief that children should run free anywhere they like and anyone objecting is just old fashioned.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 26 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

I think she should be grateful that the response wasn't a lot stronger...

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Sep 26 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

My goodness, what a tolerant happy go lucky lot you are tonight. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 26 2009, 06:42 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sarah @ Sep 26 2009, 06:45 PM) *
My goodness, what a tolerant happy go lucky lot you are tonight. tongue.gif

Not really. Its more a time and place issue. I've been in the reference section in Newbury Library - where a Mum and her helper were actually encouraging the two toddlers in their charge to make as much noise as they could. At the same time, an internet user was holding a loud conversation on his mobile. Me, I was simply trying to do some research. No one is expecting total silence - simply good manners.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Sep 26 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 26 2009, 07:42 PM) *
Not really. Its more a time and place issue. I've been in the reference section in Newbury Library - where a Mum and her helper were actually encouraging the two toddlers in their charge to make as much noise as they could. At the same time, an internet user was holding a loud conversation on his mobile. Me, I was simply trying to do some research. No one is expecting total silence - simply good manners.

There will always be one or two who spoil it for the rest, and not just in the library, it happens in every area, but on the whole I find that people behave well, so I tend to ignore those that don't. I'm afraid my glass is always half full.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 26 2009, 07:25 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sarah @ Sep 26 2009, 07:54 PM) *
There will always be one or two who spoil it for the rest, and not just in the library, it happens in every area, but on the whole I find that people behave well, so I tend to ignore those that don't. I'm afraid my glass is always half full.

Must admit and perhaps its an age thing, but more and more 'the few' who behave badly are increasing. History is littered with examples where the bad drives out the good. As a child of the 60's - I grew up with an optimistic liberal view; which long experience has tempered.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Sep 26 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

British Library readng room rules -

no pens, no staplers, no scissors, no sharp objects, no tipex, no mobiles, no photography.

pencils only, plain / ruled paper pads only, both to be carried in in a clear plastic bag. Searches at the discretion of the security guards.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 26 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Sep 26 2009, 08:43 PM) *

no pens, no staplers, no scissors, no sharp objects, no tipex, no mobiles, no photography.

pencils only, plain / ruled paper pads only, both to be carried in in a clear plastic bag. Searches at the discretion of the security guards.

and not a starbucks in sight either I bet.. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Sep 26 2009, 07:57 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Sep 26 2009, 08:43 PM) *

Yes, but a real treasure trove and a superb building but doubt anyone would want to borrow a pair of scissors in there. Only times my gear has been searched, they have found loads of sweets from that stall in Chalton St market, known by some as the Kasbar. Quite a different place from our own dear market laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Sep 26 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (Darren @ Sep 26 2009, 08:55 PM) *
and not a starbucks in sight either I bet.. wink.gif

There would be one nearby on the Euston Road somewhere, not that I ever use them. The British Library has its own restaurant, as you might expect, but I find it expensive, for what it is.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 27 2009, 03:05 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Sep 26 2009, 09:05 PM) *
There would be one nearby on the Euston Road somewhere, not that I ever use them. The British Library has its own restaurant, as you might expect, but I find it expensive, for what it is.

Cross the road and walk up to Camden Library - a few footsteps away. That's where we are heading - whatever the punters want - save books!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:03 PM