Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A34 speed limit petition
Turin Machine
post Jan 27 2017, 12:07 PM
Post #201

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,104

Using a handheld device, 12 month driving ban, automatically. 24 months for commercial drivers.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 27 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #202

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Jan 27 2017, 10:43 AM) *
Judging on the accident rate, that would appear to be what we already have (without the compensating technology) biggrin.gif

Very good!

(Ironic really, even the first trials some years ago worked far better than vehicles controlled by wetware!)

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 27 2017, 04:04 PM
Post #203

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Jan 27 2017, 10:42 AM) *
4 mph and a man with a red flag preceding.

See Road Safety and unemployment issues resolved at a stroke biggrin.gif

Even more extreme!
But a serious point.
It's a compromise between safety and the need to get people / goods around in reasonable time.
Time versus safety. What's the acceptable level?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 27 2017, 04:05 PM
Post #204

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jan 27 2017, 01:07 PM) *
Isn't a handheld device, 12 month driving ban, automatically. 24 months for commercial drivers.

No, but it should be! angry.gif
I think at present it's £200 and 6 points?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 27 2017, 04:47 PM
Post #205

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 27 2017, 04:05 PM) *
No, but it should be! angry.gif
I think at present it's £200 and 6 points?

Sorry, should have been USING.since edited. It should be a real deterrent not something you just shrug off.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 27 2017, 04:50 PM
Post #206

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 27 2017, 03:47 PM) *
Very good!

(Ironic really, even the first trials some years ago worked far better than vehicles controlled by wetware!)

I drove a semi autonomous car last year bloody frightening! The feeling when you take your hands off the wheel just didn't have the confidence it would do the right thing. Disconcerting much

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 27 2017, 05:51 PM
Post #207

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jan 27 2017, 04:50 PM) *
I drove a semi autonomous car last year bloody frightening! The feeling when you take your hands off the wheel just didn't have the confidence it would do the right thing. Disconcerting much

Was that part of the experiment?

The cross over is an issue. A bit like the IT change from green screen and keyboard to icons and mouse - the youngsters catch on fastest. Full automation you won't notice of course.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 27 2017, 06:12 PM
Post #208

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 27 2017, 05:51 PM) *
Was that part of the experiment?

The cross over is an issue. A bit like the IT change from green screen and keyboard to icons and mouse - the youngsters catch on fastest. Full automation you won't notice of course.

Test drive in the new Mercedes E class. Still have to put some input in every sixty seconds to prevent the alarms going off to comply with the law. But to all intent its self driving.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 27 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #209

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jan 27 2017, 06:12 PM) *
Test drive in the new Mercedes E class. Still have to put some input in every sixty seconds to prevent the alarms going off to comply with the law. But to all intent its self driving.

Well, at least what is avaliable today.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 27 2017, 11:00 PM
Post #210

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 27 2017, 10:06 PM) *
Well, at least what is avaliable today.

Its all available, but the law states the driver must retain control at all times, the rest is just software. The new BMW could be totally self driving and I quote "when conditions are right" at the moment its downgraded to I think its class three semi autonomous just waiting for the word to go. I have in my current car, Active cruise with stop and go in town, lane departure warning and correction, speed sign recognition, pre sense, and a host of other tech, and that is sooo last year! The futures here, in a showroom, go buy.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 28 2017, 06:42 AM
Post #211

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jan 27 2017, 11:00 PM) *
Its all available, but the law states the driver must retain control at all times, the rest is just software. The new BMW could be totally self driving and I quote "when conditions are right" at the moment its downgraded to I think its class three semi autonomous just waiting for the word to go. I have in my current car, Active cruise with stop and go in town, lane departure warning and correction, speed sign recognition, pre sense, and a host of other tech, and that is sooo last year! The futures here, in a showroom, go buy.

...when conditions are right.

Once we can get the right legal and regulatory set in place, and can properly re-deifine what 'driver retain control' actually means real innovation begins.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 28 2017, 06:54 AM
Post #212

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 28 2017, 06:42 AM) *
...when conditions are right.

Once we can get the right legal and regulatory set in place, and can properly re-deifine what 'driver retain control' actually means real innovation begins.

One of the problems that face it is how will it work? In the case of the car I drove it worked by seeing the white line road markings an positioned itself on the road using them whilst also 'looking' for obstructions etc. Fine, 'till as so often happens the road markings disappear. The other method appears to use mapping, requiring pinpoint accuracy. Don't see how in practice this will work though. All of this at a time when your car already has more code than a Boing 787, last count was around 150 million lines, and I still can't stop windows from crashing. Puzzled much.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 27 2017, 08:33 AM
Post #213

Advanced Member

An item on South Today this morning was a report commissioned by the BBC by a group called "Road Safety Analysis" came to the conclusion that the road was "No more dangerous than any other of the same type". I cannot find any link to this report as of yet and the RSA website appears to be down but told you so springs to mind?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Feb 27 2017, 10:41 AM
Post #214

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 27 2017, 08:33 AM) *
An item on South Today this morning was a report commissioned by the BBC by a group called "Road Safety Analysis" came to the conclusion that the road was "No more dangerous than any other of the same type". I cannot find any link to this report as of yet and the RSA website appears to be down but told you so springs to mind?

There does seem to be a significant increase in serious accidents on major roads - the A34 is closed ever more frequently, but so is the M4. I guess the issue may well be reflected nationally.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 27 2017, 11:48 AM
Post #215

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 27 2017, 08:33 AM) *

Quite apart from the conclusion, this is interesting. Why is the public broadcaster BBC commissioning independent reports like this? The public Department of Transport are responsible for doing just that. Presumably in spite of all the bogus squealing the BBC is like local government, by no means short of money.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Mar 26 2017, 10:22 AM
Post #216

Advanced Member

Ah yes, wonderful Under and self driving cars are the answer to safety concerns everywhere, or are they? (Cue dramatic intro music)!

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber-tec...h-idUSKBN16W0UZ

Ta daa!!

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 26 2017, 10:40 AM
Post #217

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 26 2017, 11:22 AM) *
Ah yes, wonderful Under and self driving cars are the answer to safety concerns everywhere, or are they? (Cue dramatic intro music)!

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber-tec...h-idUSKBN16W0UZ

Ta daa!!

So self-drivering car driving correctly through a junction was hit by a human-driven car driving badly. This just makes the case for driverless cars ever stronger.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Mar 26 2017, 10:48 AM
Post #218

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 26 2017, 10:40 AM) *
So self-drivering car driving correctly through a junction was hit by a human-driven car driving badly. This just makes the case for driverless cars ever stronger.

I think the point is that the self driving nugget couldn't respond to an event it wasn't expecting, ie the real world.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 26 2017, 11:00 AM
Post #219

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 26 2017, 11:48 AM) *
I think the point is that the self driving nugget couldn't respond to an event it wasn't expecting, ie the real world.

Human driven cars are pretty useless at responding to unexpected events too - it must be impossible to avoid every idiot driver whether the innocent party is human or self driven. The point is that the crash was caused by a human driving a car. If the other car had been self-driven there would have been no crash.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Mar 26 2017, 12:01 PM
Post #220

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 26 2017, 11:00 AM) *
Human driven cars are pretty useless at responding to unexpected events too - it must be impossible to avoid every idiot driver whether the innocent party is human or self driven. The point is that the crash was caused by a human driving a car. If the other car had been self-driven there would have been no crash.

In your opinion

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:26 PM