newres
post Apr 11 2016, 05:08 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 11 2016, 09:07 AM) *
Did I do that? unsure.gif

Personally, I always tend to think "what a knob" when someone parks in such a way that no one can park next to them for fear someone might dent their car with their door. It's selfish. You say you only do it with end of line spaces, but that seems less than credible to me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 11 2016, 08:45 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (newres @ Apr 11 2016, 06:08 PM) *
You say you only do it with end of line spaces, but that seems less than credible to me.

I only do it in such circumstances, honestly. And then only at work.
If I did it in a central space it would reduce clearance on one side even more and the dent - your - door brigade would have even more of a field day. dry.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 11 2016, 09:42 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

The real problem is that there isn't enough space for car park spaces to be the size they ought to be. It would also be helpful if we all parked the same way round.

I have before now accidentally hit the car next to me when there has been a windy day, or I fail to grab the door handle properly. If the car is that precious (and I can understand that to some it is), then avoiding busy public car parks would be my recommendation, or have a second knock about car for those occasions when the risk of accidental damage is high. And before you say anything, I do know there are some people who don't care, but in those cases the point still stands.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 12 2016, 07:34 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 11 2016, 10:42 PM) *
The real problem is that there isn't enough space for car park spaces to be the size they ought to be. It would also be helpful if we all parked the same way round.

I have before now accidentally hit the car next to me when there has been a windy day, or I fail to grab the door handle properly. If the car is that precious (and I can understand that to some it is), then avoiding busy public car parks would be my recommendation, or have a second knock about car for those occasions when the risk of accidental damage is high. And before you say anything, I do know there are some people who don't care, but in those cases the point still stands.

Let's say you have just spent £15,000 on a newish car. Probably the second most valuable thing you own.
Would it not bother you if, as in my case, after you had had it for a couple of weeks some careless tw@t dents the door?
On a windy day take more care. Ensure, when parked close next to someone, that you grab the handle securely.
It's all part of having respect for each other and their possessions. Something that seems to be lacking in many these days.
I agree spaces are too small for many of today's large cars but we are stuck with that because those that own the car parks want to squeeze as many as possible into their given are of land.
Why should I or anyone else have to avoid busy car parks or, as you incredibly say, have a dentable car in order to avoid carelessness?

PS Why is it that, in order to avoid the above, when I park a good distance from anyone else invariably someone has parked next to me despite plenty of other available apces? huh.gif

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 12 2016, 09:21 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 12 2016, 08:34 AM) *
Let's say you have just spent £15,000 on a newish car. Probably the second most valuable thing you own.
Would it not bother you if, as in my case, after you had had it for a couple of weeks some careless tw@t dents the door?
On a windy day take more care. Ensure, when parked close next to someone, that you grab the handle securely.
It's all part of having respect for each other and their possessions. Something that seems to be lacking in many these days.
I agree spaces are too small for many of today's large cars but we are stuck with that because those that own the car parks want to squeeze as many as possible into their given are of land.
Why should I or anyone else have to avoid busy car parks or, as you incredibly say, have a dentable car in order to avoid carelessness?

PS Why is it that, in order to avoid the above, when I park a good distance from anyone else invariably someone has parked next to me despite plenty of other available apces? huh.gif

Or in one case £36k on a new one.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 12 2016, 10:52 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 12 2016, 08:34 AM) *
Why should I or anyone else have to avoid busy car parks or, as you incredibly

How is what I say incredible; common sense would be my view?

say, have a dentable car in order to avoid carelessness?

Because you will eventually have someone hit your door. It might be nearly empty when you park, but not when you leave; seems straightforward logic to me. Owning a car comes with risks and investing a huge amount of money in a car that comes with so much angst seems 'incredible' to me.

If it is a problem; don't park there; I wouldn't. As for windy days etcetera, we all make mistakes and making a mistake doesn't mean I don't care about others' property. It doesn't necessarily make one a tw@t. Just like how not parking straight doesn't always mean someone is a tw@t.

The only tw@ts I know are the ones that take risks with where they park with something that is so valuable to them.

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Apr 12 2016, 01:48 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

I am now 99.9% certain the f*ckwit who admins the local parking like a tw*t page, is also the same idiot behind the recently renamed "New Newbury & Thatcham page"....

It would appear that the said idiot learned nothing from his posting about an ambulance crew a couple of weeks ago. As he has now posted about a police car!

BTW: the from "anon" is NOT fooling anybody, either!

https://www.facebook.com/TownbookNewburyTha...am/?pnref=story

--------------------
Obnoxious possiby, VEXATIOUS definitely not.

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Apr 12 2016, 09:04 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Gazzadp @ Apr 12 2016, 02:48 PM) *
I am now 99.9% certain the f*ckwit who admins the local parking like a tw*t page, is also the same idiot behind the recently renamed "New Newbury & Thatcham page"....

Is this him? He seems to like cats... a lot.... and has an OCD thing about car owners who are unable to park within lines

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 12 2016, 10:11 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

How did you find a picture of newres so easily?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 13 2016, 12:02 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

It looks like I need to start closing the curtains at night!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 13 2016, 07:19 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 13 2016, 01:02 AM) *
It looks like I need to start closing the curtains at night!

Blimey AC, I now see why you're a "door denter"! tongue.gif
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 12 2016, 11:52 AM) *
The only tw@ts I know are the ones that take risks with where they park with something that is so valuable to them.

You must be in a minority there AC because to most people a car is "valuable to them" it is a necessary (to most) huge investment which most normal people would want to protect to the best of their ability.
No matter where this investment is parked in a public place it is a risk. That is unavoidable.
What is avoidable is the damage done by careless or selfish people.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 13 2016, 09:23 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 13 2016, 08:19 AM) *
Blimey AC, I now see why you're a "door denter"! tongue.gif

QED! LOL

You must be in a minority there AC because to most people a car is "valuable to them" it is a necessary (to most) huge investment which most normal people would want to protect to the best of their ability.
No matter where this investment is parked in a public place it is a risk. That is unavoidable.
What is avoidable is the damage done by careless or selfish people.

One things is true is that we are all human and all make mistakes and making mistakes doesn't always confirm someone as a tw@t; just as you take umbrage to being called a tw@t for parking poorly at the end of a row. I have taken measures to mitigate damage by having door savers (cheap ones that help stop damaging other cars, but you can get bigger ones that protect too); others don't, I suspect, because it will 'spoil' the look. Indeed, the most common damage I have witnessed is caused by people with vans or large expensive cars.

As I said, the root cause is poor parking facilities.

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 13 2016, 05:17 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Apr 12 2016, 11:11 PM) *
How did you find a picture of newres so easily?

It's unnervingly similar other than he's smiling.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Apr 14 2016, 08:22 AM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

My car cost me £8k, I've probably spend another £10k on it since, it's nothing special, only a Dub, but I do try and take care of it.
I'd hate to have parking dinks / dents from careless people. I try to park between other nice cars, or park on an end space, or in a quiet place in the corner.
If it's a genuine accident then that's one thing but most of the time it's simply carelessness which causes the damage!
Worst I find are usually mothers who have kids in their car...they have no issues using your car as a door stop..!

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Jun 4 2016, 05:15 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

I see that the idiot behind that page is having another moan about a police car, this time because "they stopped in the road and got out and started chasing somebody on foot!"

I have to say that I am quite surprised he did not have moan about the fire engines outside bar sport a couple of weeks back!

--------------------
Obnoxious possiby, VEXATIOUS definitely not.

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
HJD
post Jun 4 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

I don't know about Parking like a tw*t, but the Bronze ! VW that came past me down the link at about 8.50am this morning was certainly Driving like a REAL TW*T he must have been doing close to 100mph if not over. I know at lot certainly go over the 50 limit but that was ridiculous !!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jun 4 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (HJD @ Jun 4 2016, 07:43 PM) *
I don't know about Parking like a tw*t, but the Bronze ! VW that came past me down the link at about 8.50am this morning was certainly Driving like a REAL TW*T he must have been doing close to 100mph if not over. I know at lot certainly go over the 50 limit but that was ridiculous !!

Don't worry did you not see the sign posted on a lamp post that this a speed check area?

Perhaps he was so surprised that he could actually move for a change instead of being stationery more than moving through Newbury, that he just got carried away for a moment? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 5 2016, 08:20 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

An amazing Facebook page this one; generating a lot of heat and interest. We really have our priorities right in West Berkshire don't we?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Jun 5 2016, 10:35 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 5 2016, 09:20 AM) *
An amazing Facebook page this one; generating a lot of heat and interest. We really have our priorities right in West Berkshire don't we?

Create your own Facebook page then on what you consider the right priorities.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:45 AM