Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury news.
Strafin
post Dec 20 2017, 02:42 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 55

I don't agree at all that because someone has called you a loon that another forum member should be allowed to use language that is derived from the word ******. Its classic two wrongs dont make a right territory!

Regarding the over 60s, most of them are retiring or due to retire and have a limited shelf life. If we are going to complain that the young shouldn't get a vote or the left is comprised of only students wanting free stuff then I think it should go both ways. But the current generation of sixty plussers, in my experience are gripping on to nostalgia and a time that they are used to. I work in catering and currently in have to allow people to work in pounds and ounces because some simply refuse to learn the metric system. A huge percentage of them can't use i pads and they just haven't moved with the times. I know there are some forward thinkers out there and i am generalising but so was Charlie when he made his claims.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Dec 20 2017, 03:38 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 20 2017, 02:42 PM) *
I don't agree at all that because someone has called you a loon that another forum member should be allowed to use language that is derived from the word ******. Its classic two wrongs dont make a right territory!

Regarding the over 60s, most of them are retiring or due to retire and have a limited shelf life. If we are going to complain that the young shouldn't get a vote or the left is comprised of only students wanting free stuff then I think it should go both ways. But the current generation of sixty plussers, in my experience are gripping on to nostalgia and a time that they are used to. I work in catering and currently in have to allow people to work in pounds and ounces because some simply refuse to learn the metric system. A huge percentage of them can't use i pads and they just haven't moved with the times. I know there are some forward thinkers out there and i am generalising but so was Charlie when he made his claims.

Since when was imperial weights and measures outlawed ? It was the result of bodged attempt to "European " us by a political elite who thought they knew best , ( ring any recent bells ? ). We now have 40% of the Country using only metric , 40 % imperial and 20% illiterate. Well done ! As for using an ipad , why should anyone if they do not have need to ? The future requires people who can lay a brick , build an engine or grow food ,not ponce about in front of some electronic gizmo
Maybe compulsory euthanasia for the over 55s is the way forward ?

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 20 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 20 2017, 11:11 AM) *
Do you not think you guys and your generation milked the system enough? All the stuff you've had handed to you on a plate

I recall very little, if anything being "handed to me on a plate".
You got bailed out for toxic mortgages

Not me! Mine fell well short and had to extend my mortgage to repayment for many extra years
endowments
See above.
and bad pension schemes

Not me. In fact no one has bailed me out for anything!
You all had access to free education and healthcare

As do the current generation. And by the way nothing is free, you mean at point of delivery.
and you could get a mortgage and buy a house on a normal wage.
Yes at around 14% interest.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 20 2017, 04:26 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Dec 20 2017, 03:38 PM) *
Since when was imperial weights and measures outlawed ? It was the result of bodged attempt to "European " us by a political elite who thought they knew best , ( ring any recent bells ? ). We now have 40% of the Country using only metric , 40 % imperial and 20% illiterate. Well done ! As for using an ipad , why should anyone if they do not have need to ? The future requires people who can lay a brick , build an engine or grow food ,not ponce about in front of some electronic gizmo
Maybe compulsory euthanasia for the over 55s is the way forward ?

Interesting view of the future Sir William. World trade means we will doubtless need only to know how to unload already constructed vehicles and such like. Robotic builders are being trialled right now, but potentially alongside machines that will assemble prefabricated construction material. Food; sure, potentially though in big sheds and serviced like outside agriculture by increasingly robotic machine....so, apart from digging footings, tidying around or looking after the frail, apart from 'poncing about in front of some electronic gizmo' is likely to be the only trade left!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 20 2017, 04:31 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 20 2017, 12:15 PM) *
Je Suis Charlie - great response. I disagree so you launch a personal attack, fail to address any points whatsoever and you use language like "libtard". You are irrelevant and you are exactly the demographic of people ruining this country. When people don't feel they have a voice that's when extremes happen. That's why we have trump, and it's why we will end up with Corbyn

She just spends most of the time trolling. She will rarely try to debate sensibly.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Dec 20 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 20 2017, 04:31 PM) *
She just spends most of the time trolling. She will rarely try to debate sensibly.

Says the queen of the one liner trolling attempts. No rational debate, no free thought, just endless mindless mashing the keyboard.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Dec 20 2017, 04:45 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 20 2017, 02:42 PM) *

The over sixties have paid their due sonny, in coin and in blood, all this agism about they don't understand this, and they don't like iPads! I mean, WTF are you on? You've screams about people who who don't pay enough tax bit idolise some of the worst offenders, Amazon, Apple, Starbucks! Workers rights huh? What about the rights of the workers who put those iPads together? In conditions so bad some of the factories have netting round them to catch the jumpers? Just remember that all these bright young things will be over sixty one day, then what? You really are a snide individual aren't you. Part of the "where's my share" whiney generation.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 20 2017, 04:46 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

See what I mean Strafin?

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Dec 20 2017, 04:53 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 20 2017, 04:46 PM) *
See what I mean Strafin?

Another classic From the queen of rhetoric. Is your forehead getting sore yet?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 20 2017, 05:04 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Dec 20 2017, 04:45 PM) *
The over sixties have paid their due sonny, in coin and in blood, all this agism about they don't understand this, and they don't like iPads! I mean, WTF are you on? You've screams about people who who don't pay enough tax bit idolise some of the worst offenders, Amazon, Apple, Starbucks! Workers rights huh? What about the rights of the workers who put those iPads together? In conditions so bad some of the factories have netting round them to catch the jumpers? Just remember that all these bright young things will be over sixty one day, then what? You really are a snide individual aren't you. Part of the "where's my share" whiney generation.

Please stop attributing things to me that aren't true. I don't idolise some of the worst offenders. I don't idolise any big business really. Going back to your previous post, imperial measurements were outlawed as a unit of sale years ago, but metric came about in the seventies - 40 years ago. That's where my issue is, yet you think I should still be able to use the old ways rather than you dinosaurs moving with the times. I feel the same about people who refuse to learn computers and yes ipads too.

You can't say the over sixties have all paid their dues anymore than you can say all youngsters haven't got a clue. You're just a bitter and twisted old man angry at the world because its changed and you haven't. Some of the posters on here have given a sensible and reasoned response to my original post and for that I thank them. Biker1, X2, andy capp and the others. Your response sums up everything that is wrong with your generation, but I do accept following this discussion that you are but 1 man, and even though you want to, do not speak for your entire age group. Some of them are alright.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Dec 20 2017, 05:21 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 20 2017, 04:26 PM) *
Interesting view of the future Sir William. World trade means we will doubtless need only to know how to unload already constructed vehicles and such like. Robotic builders are being trialled right now, but potentially alongside machines that will assemble prefabricated construction material. Food; sure, potentially though in big sheds and serviced like outside agriculture by increasingly robotic machine....so, apart from digging footings, tidying around or looking after the frail, apart from 'poncing about in front of some electronic gizmo' is likely to be the only trade left!

If we accept your dystopian view of the future as given , what the hades are the workers going to do ? Certainly not work . With 20 million trying to survive in the gig economy I doubt very much any Country ,whatever political doctrine it operates under , could sustain such pressure . Food production certainly is the largest problem facing the world population but a few poly tunnels knocking out lettuce by the score is not going to solve it . Will be interesting to observe from my newly printed/constructed by robots rest home while being attended by an oxbridge graduate who can't find work .

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Dec 20 2017, 05:46 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 20 2017, 05:04 PM) *
Please stop attributing things to me that aren't true. I don't idolise some of the worst offenders. I don't idolise any big business really. Going back to your previous post, imperial measurements were outlawed as a unit of sale years ago, but metric came about in the seventies - 40 years ago. That's where my issue is, yet you think I should still be able to use the old ways rather than you dinosaurs moving with the times. I feel the same about people who refuse to learn computers and yes ipads too.

You can't say the over sixties have all paid their dues anymore than you can say all youngsters haven't got a clue. You're just a bitter and twisted old man angry at the world because its changed and you haven't. Some of the posters on here have given a sensible and reasoned response to my original post and for that I thank them. Biker1, X2, andy capp and the others. Your response sums up everything that is wrong with your generation, but I do accept following this discussion that you are but 1 man, and even though you want to, do not speak for your entire age group. Some of them are alright.

Buy the products though I bet! I use metric all the time even started doing binary and everything, laugh.gif Yes I think a working knowledge of the old units should be taught, its part of our history. Its funny how you seem to deride someone for not knowing about computers on an internet forum laugh.gif Shows your depth of understanding really, I was building my own desktops before you were out of school. Me? Bitter? not me. I'm well made up, Range Rover, Nice boat, three weeks in the Maldives last year, gardener at the house, good company with an excellent profit and loss last year. Its you railing about how wrong everything is, it's you being bitter and twisted not me, just because I don't share your rose tinted vision of a brave new year doesn't mean I'm wrong.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 20 2017, 06:46 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Dec 20 2017, 05:46 PM) *
Buy the products though I bet! I use metric all the time even started doing binary and everything, laugh.gif Yes I think a working knowledge of the old units should be taught, its part of our history. Its funny how you seem to deride someone for not knowing about computers on an internet forum laugh.gif Shows your depth of understanding really, I was building my own desktops before you were out of school. Me? Bitter? not me. I'm well made up, Range Rover, Nice boat, three weeks in the Maldives last year, gardener at the house, good company with an excellent profit and loss last year. Its you railing about how wrong everything is, it's you being bitter and twisted not me, just because I don't share your rose tinted vision of a brave new year doesn't mean I'm wrong.

No place for successful people in this country. JC will make sure of it. I was listening to a conversation the other day. A young man was renting a place with his girlfriend. They have a baby. He is not paying the rent and putting the money aside and waiting to get evicted as because he has a baby he knows the Council are obliged to find accomodation once he is evicted. Marvellous. Good to know the 4k in tax I paid this month is helping out.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 20 2017, 07:01 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 20 2017, 07:46 PM) *
he knows the Council are obliged to find accomodation once he is evicted. Marvellous.

Is that why ...........
Inflation is around 2.5%
Interest rate on savings in bank / building societies is around 1% if you are VERY lucky
but..............
Council tax is to rise by 6% next year???
angry.gif angry.gif

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 20 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 20 2017, 07:01 PM) *
Is that why ...........
Inflation is around 2.5%
Interest rate on savings in bank / building societies is around 1% if you are VERY lucky
and..............
Council tax is to rise by 6% next year???
angry.gif angry.gif

I'm getting 1.8% still not great but better than nowt. Still.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 20 2017, 07:09 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 20 2017, 08:05 PM) *
I'm getting 1.8% still not great but better than nowt. Still.

Wow!
You must have it locked or semi locked to get that rate?

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Dec 20 2017, 07:09 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 20 2017, 06:46 PM) *
No place for successful people in this country. JC will make sure of it. I was listening to a conversation the other day. A young man was renting a place with his girlfriend. They have a baby. He is not paying the rent and putting the money aside and waiting to get evicted as because he has a baby he knows the Council are obliged to find accomodation once he is evicted. Marvellous. Good to know the 4k in tax I paid this month is helping out.

Listen mate, you're too old, you just don't understand, you're a Dinosaur! Oooh Dino's!! Luvly! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 20 2017, 07:21 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Dec 20 2017, 07:09 PM) *
Listen mate, you're too old, you just don't understand, you're a Dinosaur! Oooh Dino's!! Luvly! tongue.gif

I like to think of myself as a pterodactyl. You? Im guessing a t rex. 😂

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Dec 20 2017, 08:25 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 20 2017, 07:21 PM) *
I like to think of myself as a pterodactyl. You? Im guessing a t rex. ��

It was a bugger at my boy's birthday party when he was young " If you're happy and you know it clap your ha- : oh bugger !"

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 20 2017, 11:41 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 20 2017, 07:21 PM) *
...You? Im guessing a t rex. 😂

More likely Pachycephalosaurus

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:11 PM