Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Team GB
Andy1
post Aug 18 2016, 09:50 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 121

Great to see Team GB doing so well. Now let's start teaching the young that winning isn't a dirty word.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 18 2016, 10:06 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Aug 18 2016, 10:50 PM) *
Great to see Team GB doing so well. Now let's start teaching the young that winning isn't a dirty word.

I wasn't aware we did that. All the same, the most impressive performance of the games for me was when Usain Bolt politely paused his interview to observe the anthem of a fellow athlete's medal ceremony.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Aug 18 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

For sure. In the UK, especially Primary Schools, winning and competition is seen as bad words in favour of taking part and everyone's a winner.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 19 2016, 05:33 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Aug 18 2016, 11:20 PM) *
For sure. In the UK, especially Primary Schools, winning and competition is seen as bad words in favour of taking part and everyone's a winner.

I think you have unrealistic expectations if you expect primary school children to beat Usain Bolt over 100m.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 19 2016, 07:40 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

The UK is not the same a GB.
Perhaps it should be "Team UK" or, to put it in correct english, "The UK Team"!!! tongue.gif
(Or maybe I am wrong and there a no competitors in the Team from NI? rolleyes.gif )

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Aug 19 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 19 2016, 06:33 AM) *
I think you have unrealistic expectations if you expect primary school children to beat Usain Bolt over 100m.

Really! I suppose it's unrealistic for a kid to emulatie the winning mentality and believe one day they could be up there in any sport.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 20 2016, 05:53 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I've never been convinced that this is the case. There is a subtle difference between motivation and competition just as there is between winning and co-operation. I'm rather pleased that many of our teachers and schools recognise this and want to turn out future generations who are motivated to deliver their absolute best where appropriate in cooperation with others.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 21 2016, 01:00 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

They were awarding 1st, 2nd and 3rd places to 4 year olds, for events at my childrens' sports day.

Perhaps it's something particular to the school your children go to?

+Quote Post
newres
post Aug 21 2016, 02:13 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Aug 18 2016, 10:50 PM) *

What school do yours go to? Mine were at St Joseph's & now st Barts and there is 1st, 2nd & 3rd. It's important to encourage everyone to take part though as there can only be one winner. I ran the Bayer 10k with no hope of winning. I just wanted to beat my previous time.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 21 2016, 04:15 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (newres @ Aug 21 2016, 03:13 PM) *
What school do yours go to? Mine were at St Joseph's & now st Barts and there is 1st, 2nd & 3rd. It's important to encourage everyone to take part though as there can only be one winner. I ran the Bayer 10k with no hope of winning. I just wanted to beat my previous time.

Tom Daley should still win sports personality of the year though. He set a new Olympic record in qualifying and he sets an example that we should all aspire to. Then again the BBC could have an agenda and the real stars of the British diving team win gold but..... Treat all people of all sexualities the same please BBC... It's really not important when it comes to how you perform in sport. I'm pretty sure all athletes would feel the same including Tom!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 21 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 21 2016, 05:15 PM) *
Tom Daley should still win sports personality of the year though. He set a new Olympic record in qualifying and he sets an example that we should all aspire to. Then again the BBC could have an agenda and the real stars of the British diving team win gold but..... Treat all people of all sexualities the same please BBC... It's really not important when it comes to how you perform in sport. I'm pretty sure all athletes would feel the same including Tom!

Not quite sure what you are saying here. Are you saying that sexuality makes a difference to the BBC, positive or negative? Coverage of the Women's Hockey didn't make reference to anyone's sexuality.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 21 2016, 07:55 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 21 2016, 07:30 PM) *
Not quite sure what you are saying here. Are you saying that sexuality makes a difference to the BBC, positive or negative? Coverage of the Women's Hockey didn't make reference to anyone's sexuality.

Yes it did. Spot the flag bearer..... What I am saying is it is perfectly normal now to be straight gay or whatever... just celebrate all of the athletes without having to be all PC just to prove a point.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Aug 21 2016, 11:48 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 21 2016, 05:15 PM) *

It will be a tough one this year but I would put my money on Mo Farah.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Aug 21 2016, 11:55 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Aug 21 2016, 03:13 PM) *

Taking part is fine because you'll never know what you can achieve otherwise. Now my boys are in senior school, playing to win is encouraged.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 22 2016, 06:33 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Aug 22 2016, 12:55 AM) *
Taking part is fine because you'll never know what you can achieve otherwise. Now my boys are in senior school, playing to win is encouraged.

At any cost?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 22 2016, 07:54 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 21 2016, 08:55 PM) *
Yes it did. Spot the flag bearer..... What I am saying is it is perfectly normal now to be straight gay or whatever... just celebrate all of the athletes without having to be all PC just to prove a point.

I didn't see it, but I heard that Andy Murray was chosen to be flag bearer.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Aug 22 2016, 03:09 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 22 2016, 07:33 AM) *
At any cost?

Well that's down to the individual or team but if 'At any cost' means cheating then no.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 22 2016, 04:28 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

The coach all approach interests me. Having lived next to a sports field, and regularly hearing a rather stout PE teacher screaming at some poor kid, who clearly wasn't into sport at all. 'You plonker' etc! I wonder if the maths teacher used the same approach on his peers when that lad was in his maths class; such methods might well pay dividends.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Aug 22 2016, 10:23 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

What we will never know of course is would our medal tally have been quite so glorious had the Great Bear in the East been able to field its full compliment of athletes.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 23 2016, 06:05 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Aug 22 2016, 11:23 PM) *
What we will never know of course is would our medal tally have been quite so glorious had the Great Bear in the East been able to field its full compliment of athletes.

Indeed!

That will make the next games fascinating to say the least.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:44 PM