9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why do drivers yell at me when I'm cycling?, I am doing nothing wrong
Rach E
post Oct 4 2011, 02:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 556

This morning, a taxi driver wound his window down as I was cycling on Hambridge Road and told me to "get on the cycle lane".

Although a lot of cyclists cycle on the pavements, the pavements on Hambridge Road are not dual use and I am perfectly entitled to cycle on the road. There is no cycle lane. I would be a liability to pedestrians if I cycle at 20mph on the pavements.

I get drivers regularly shouting at me and often get cars deliberately swerving at me despite the fact I am a very law abiding cyclist: I never jump red lights, I always have lights on my bike and I respect other road users.

I am getting increasingly frustrated (and often just plain upset) at the way I am treated as a cyclist in Newbury. Many of the cycle lanes we are given are frankly dangerous. It is much safer to use the road.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Oct 4 2011, 02:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

The cabbie in question is clearly not the sharperst tool in an already rather blunt batch. Hurling abuse back at him would have been my response.

Some cyclists can be a pain in the bum, but mostly I have no problem with them.

You're quite right to keep off the pavements, that's for pedestrians. And if there's no cycle lane then you were in the correct place.

But you must remember that taxi drivers know everything about everything and are never in the wrong. I'm surprised you don't already know that.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 4 2011, 02:40 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Rach E @ Oct 4 2011, 03:17 PM) *
This morning, a taxi driver wound his window down as I was cycling on Hambridge Road and told me to "get on the cycle lane".

Although a lot of cyclists cycle on the pavements, the pavements on Hambridge Road are not dual use and I am perfectly entitled to cycle on the road. There is no cycle lane. I would be a liability to pedestrians if I cycle at 20mph on the pavements.

I get drivers regularly shouting at me and often get cars deliberately swerving at me despite the fact I am a very law abiding cyclist: I never jump red lights, I always have lights on my bike and I respect other road users.

I am getting increasingly frustrated (and often just plain upset) at the way I am treated as a cyclist in Newbury. Many of the cycle lanes we are given are frankly dangerous. It is much safer to use the road.

And car drivers wonder why cyclists do, occasionally, not follow the highway code to the letter.

Taxi drivers are a law unto themselves. Just ignore them.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 4 2011, 02:47 PM
Post #4

Guests

What is it with some people tarring a whole group of peoples without really knowing them? huh.gif A significant minority of taxi drivers are utter door handles, however the occasions where I've had to ride taxis, the drivers all drove fairly well and were friendly, nice people.

If you're not doing anything wrong, I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's always a few bad apples so just try to not take anything to heart. The alternative is to ride at 15mph on the pavement. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 4 2011, 02:50 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 4 2011, 03:47 PM) *
What is it with some people tarring a whole group of peoples without really knowing them? huh.gif A significant minority of taxi drivers are utter door handles, however the occasions where I've had to ride taxis, the drivers all drove fairly well and were friendly, nice people.

If you're not doing anything wrong, I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's always a few bad apples so just try to not take anything to heart. The alternative is to ride at 15mph on the pavement. biggrin.gif

By jove, I think he's got it!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 4 2011, 02:59 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I cycle on the path on that road.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 4 2011, 03:06 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I am a very law abiding cyclist: I never jump red lights, I always have lights on my bike and I respect other road users.

Then you are in an insignificant minority! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Blue
post Oct 4 2011, 04:18 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,859

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 4 2011, 03:59 PM) *
I cycle on the path on that road.

Why?

+Quote Post
factsonly
post Oct 4 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 712

QUOTE (Blue @ Oct 4 2011, 05:18 PM) *
Why?

Because he's an unsocial twonk who can't read the highway code. Perhaps he's a taxi driver as well.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 4 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #10

Guests

Why?

Can't speak for Andy but it's an extremely busy road where there are relatively few pedestrians. A cyclist can cause huge tailbacks by cycling on the road especially during rush hour. There is not really enough space to fit a cyclist and then 2 cars. And a lorry or large van? Forget it.

There's nothing wrong with riding on the pavement so long as you do so safely. Bicycles are hardly weapons of mass destruction, when was the last time you heard an inquest into a "death by bicycle"?

+Quote Post
factsonly
post Oct 4 2011, 04:28 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 712

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 4 2011, 05:24 PM) *
There's nothing wrong with riding on the pavement so long as you do so safely

Apart from it's against the law, you carry no insurance and generally ride to fast and are a danger to pedestrians.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 4 2011, 05:03 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Whereabouts were you because there is a portion of Hambridge Road which has a cycle path.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 4 2011, 06:09 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Why?

Because there is no safe place on the road without being a nuisance to other road users.

QUOTE (factsonly @ Oct 4 2011, 05:24 PM) *
Because he's an unsocial twonk who can't read the highway code. Perhaps he's a taxi driver as well.

I'm not a taxi driver, but I can read well enough to understand the Highway Code; I just ignore it on that stretch of road. That road has very few pedestrians and visibility is good. If there are any, it is easy to give way if necessary. I ride with consideration to other path users, which is more than can be said about some pedestrians I have come by on mixed use paths.

I think it is time that one path was pedestrian only and one was bike only on that road.

QUOTE (factsonly @ Oct 4 2011, 05:28 PM) *
Apart from it's against the law, you carry no insurance and generally ride to fast and are a danger to pedestrians.

Yes, so you better look out! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Blake
post Oct 4 2011, 08:06 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

About 6 yrs ago, I had a pleb shout out from a car window the same and that was by the A4 lights westbound by the hospital. I ignored the idiot. I choose to cycle on the road as that is my right.

Worse still was a few weeks ago. A hideous woman in an X reg Renault Megane UNDERTOOK me on my Yamaha motorcycle in Thatcham. I was doing normal urban traffic speeds but the bike does not accelerate as fast as a car. I exploded at her at the lights as you should NEVER undertake a motorcycle. Alas, I did not have a pen to get her registration.

+Quote Post
Rach E
post Oct 4 2011, 09:05 PM
Post #15

Thanks for all the responses. I am saying nothing bad about taxi drivers - on other occasions it's been "normal" car drivers who've shouted at me.

The portion of Hambridge Road I was shouted at on was near the new Stryker building - it's definitely a part of the road without a cycle lane.

And cycle lanes on pavements are asking for trouble. I have only ever had three cycle accidents (touchwood). They have all been on cycle lanes which have been painted onto pavements. The worst one was when a car was meant to give way to go across a cycle lane to turn out onto the A4. He didn't, and went straight into me. I have also been knocked unconscious when pedestrians have stepped into cycle lanes without looking. Cycling on the road is (sadly)

And 15mph is not an option in the morning. I am normally late for my train (and I also tend to cycle down Hambridge Road at 07:30, so not the busiest time).

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 4 2011, 09:44 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Probably p****d off that you were overtaking him - 20 mph in Hambridge Road during the rush hour!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 4 2011, 10:36 PM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (Blake @ Oct 4 2011, 09:06 PM) *
Worse still was a few weeks ago. A hideous woman in an X reg Renault Megane UNDERTOOK me on my Yamaha motorcycle in Thatcham. I was doing normal urban traffic speeds but the bike does not accelerate as fast as a car. I exploded at her at the lights as you should NEVER undertake a motorcycle. Alas, I did not have a pen to get her registration.

Guess you're on the YZF125R. Which one is it? I have a list of offences against the black one, the blue one with his moped buddies, the white one with the stupid LED lights and the yellow one. That's the only Yamaha motorcycle which can not accelerate as fast as a car. I fail to see how she can undertake you as well unless you were on the opposite side of the road doing about 10 mph. I would imagine if you were riding properly you'd not have had an issue. wink.gif

QUOTE (factsonly @ Oct 4 2011, 05:28 PM) *

You carry no insurance when you ride on the road either do you? And are you not putting more cars "at danger" on the road than you are pedestrians on the pavement? Great logic! Not to mention on a bicycle you have to be a complete and utter twonk to ride INTO a pedestrian. Andy is right to cycle on the pavement on Hambridge Road during rush hour.

+Quote Post
Rach E
post Oct 5 2011, 06:51 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 4 2011, 11:36 PM) *
You carry no insurance when you ride on the road either do you? And are you not putting more cars "at danger" on the road than you are pedestrians on the pavement? Great logic! Not to mention on a bicycle you have to be a complete and utter twonk to ride INTO a pedestrian. Andy is right to cycle on the pavement on Hambridge Road during rush hour.

Well, I can say that I am NOT a twonk. The pedestrians I have crashed into have been twonks for stepping into a cycle lane - often on a road - with no warning and without looking. Unless your meaning of twonk is different from my understanding?

And insurance? As a member of British Cycling and the CTC, I am actually insured twice over.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 5 2011, 07:49 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Not to mention on a bicycle you have to be a complete and utter twonk to ride INTO a pedestrian.

And there are plenty of those (a significant majority)!

Andy is right to cycle on the pavement on Hambridge Road during rush hour.

No he's not!
I am not going to quote the law as in the Highway Code again as this has been done many times.
Until the law is changed he is wrong!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 5 2011, 08:39 AM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 5 2011, 08:49 AM) *
No he's not!
I am not going to quote the law as in the Highway Code again as this has been done many times.
Until the law is changed he is wrong!

Just like I'm sure you always stick to speed limits, never do anything wrong acccording to the rules of the road, you probably don't apply the handbrake every time you stop. You probably don't check over your shoulder for the invisible-badger-that's-never-there-and-then-check-again-2 seconds-later-to-make-sure-he's-not-reappeared-since-you-last-checked before you pull away...

laugh.gif

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:38 PM