> Chavghanistan!
On the edge
post Aug 10 2010, 06:10 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 9 2010, 10:39 PM) *
Taking into account current circumstances, what practical things do you think should/could be done? I can't help but think that what we have is the result of something done, or not, sometime ago.

The Probation Service should properly enforce community orders for a start. Apparently they don't today and not simply because of lack of resource. We should remove the witholding of names and report court proceedings as we did some time back - name and shame. Magistrates should be far less lenient and be measured against the sentences handed out; which should not include bindings over etc. The Police should be seen on the streets not in cars and not in pairs. For all, on going training and development should be slanted at detection and enforcement - rather than social. None of thios would cost. I've even heard some involved in criminal justice refer to their customers. They only have one customer - that's the Queen.

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 10 2010, 08:18 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 9 2010, 07:25 PM) *
It's not the first time, and I presume at this stage it is an allegation.

I agree it is an allegation. I think the guy concerned has 'balls' for making it. No doubt when he was robbed he was told that he would be 'stabbed up' the next time he was seen if he reported it to the Police.

Playing Devils advocate Iommi - How many Robberies / attempted Robberies do you think are NOT reported through fear of reprisal in this area? I'd say 10 robberies to every 1 reported would be an UNDER estimate.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 10 2010, 09:26 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 10 2010, 09:18 AM) *
Playing Devils advocate Iommi - How many Robberies / attempted Robberies do you think are NOT reported through fear of reprisal in this area? I'd say 10 robberies to every 1 reported would be an UNDER estimate.

Why?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 10 2010, 09:43 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 10 2010, 10:26 AM) *
Why?

Because people don't report crime anymore and even if you do it's not likely to be solved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-10912778

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 10 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 10 2010, 10:43 AM) *
Because people don't report crime anymore and even if you do it's not likely to be solved. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-10912778

I don't doubt some people don't report crime unless they need a crime report number, but I was wondering where you got the 1 in 10 figure from.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 10 2010, 10:06 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 10 2010, 10:52 AM) *
I don't doubt some people don't report crime unless they need a crime report number, but I was wondering where you got the 1 in 10 figure from.

Its just a haphazard guess Iommi - I don't have any details. I know from personal experience though that a number of people I know have had this sort of thing happend to them (robbed) but have not done anything about it. Thats all.

My point really is that I don't think the 'crime stats' bear any resemblence to what is actually going on in the Streets of Newbury. You can prove anything with Stats. Do you really believe that there is less crime in Newbury now than there was a few years ago?

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Aug 10 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 10 2010, 11:06 AM) *
Its just a haphazard guess Iommi - I don't have any details. I know from personal experience though that a number of people I know have had this sort of thing happend to them (robbed) but have not done anything about it. Thats all.

My point really is that I don't think the 'crime stats' bear any resemblence to what is actually going on in the Streets of Newbury. You can prove anything with Stats. Do you really believe that there is less crime in Newbury now than there was a few years ago?

I know two people who recently (within a couple of months) have been mugged for their phones, one put up a struggle and won, the other lost their phone - neither reported it. So from my experience 100% of crime, know to me, goes up-reported sad.gif

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Aug 10 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 10 2010, 11:06 AM) *

I know two people who recently (within a couple of months) have been mugged for their phones, one put up a struggle and won, the other lost their phone - neither reported it. So from my experience 100% of crime, know to me, goes up-reported sad.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 10 2010, 10:43 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 10 2010, 07:10 AM) *
The Probation Service should properly enforce community orders for a start. Apparently they don't today and not simply because of lack of resource. We should remove the witholding of names and report court proceedings as we did some time back - name and shame. Magistrates should be far less lenient and be measured against the sentences handed out; which should not include bindings over etc. The Police should be seen on the streets not in cars and not in pairs. For all, on going training and development should be slanted at detection and enforcement - rather than social. None of thios would cost. I've even heard some involved in criminal justice refer to their customers. They only have one customer - that's the Queen.

I quite agree. Newbury is slowly becoming a place where you won't be able to walk alone in without getting mugged even in daylight.
Newbury has changed, the reasons are probably many but there seems to be a whole new breed of unsavoury people moved into the Bartholomew street area. So now we have another rough area in addition to St Georges ave, The Nightigales, Skylings and some parts of Turnpike.
Unless the authorities address the lawless and selfish behaviour of these people the the "Newbury Vision" will be somewhat different than that which WBC had hoped for.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Brad
post Aug 23 2010, 11:12 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 954

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 10 2010, 11:43 AM) *
I quite agree. Newbury is slowly becoming a place where you won't be able to walk alone in without getting mugged even in daylight.
Newbury has changed, the reasons are probably many but there seems to be a whole new breed of unsavoury people moved into the Bartholomew street area. So now we have another rough area in addition to St Georges ave, The Nightigales, Skylings and some parts of Turnpike.
Unless the authorities address the lawless and selfish behaviour of these people the the "Newbury Vision" will be somewhat different than that which WBC had hoped for.

Skyllings isn't what it used to be, seems ok these days lived there for a few years and never had a problem.
I live in a much posher area now, don't you know! But i got assaulted walking the path from retail park- town not very surprisingly the guys that hit me were coming from "the nightingales".

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Sep 2 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

My son came in to town today on the bus so I walked from work to meet him. Crossed at the lights by Montys to walk round towards the bus station...... "Av ya got 50p for the fone box?" my response "no sorry I don't have any change" Why am I sorry?..... not 20 paces later another youth "ave ya got a light" my response "no sorry I don't smoke" Again why am I sorry? "Av you got a bit of cardboard in ya bag?" my response "no I don't" ha whose sorry now..... "Av ya got 40 pence for the fone box?" WTF is the local telephones addicted to drugs now? Oh and by the way where is the nearest phone box to there?? my response "no I don't have 40 pence for the phone box" that told you.... "oh come on ya gotta have some money" my response "go and get a job and you will also have some money" see the forum has made me want to stand up to these (people). "I av a job look I'm in me work stuff" my response "well if you are working why don't you have any money?" shrug of shoulders then "come on you must have a piece of cardboard in ya bag" my response "no I don't" next question "are you single"..... Oh my is he trying flattery now. I know I am the wrong side of 40, short and overweight but surely that won't make me give him money.... and why was he so insistent I open my bag to find a piece of cardboard is there a new scam out there... get her to open her bag grab purse and run... BEWARE ALL... Mind you he would have been lucky to do a quick grab and run it takes me half an hour to find anything in my bag !!!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 2 2010, 09:30 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Brad @ Aug 23 2010, 12:12 PM) *
Skyllings isn't what it used to be, seems ok these days lived there for a few years and never had a problem.
I live in a much posher area now, don't you know! But i got assaulted walking the path from retail park- town not very surprisingly the guys that hit me were coming from "the nightingales".

What it used to be wasn't much cop either.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 2 2010, 09:31 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Its incredible isn't it. The Police and those supposed to be keeping our streets safe claim to be listening and 'working with the community' but still this sort of thing goes on You couldn't make it up. Wasn't one of Nelson's relatives a vicar round here at one time? He could have been chaplain to the local constabulary 'I see no vagrants'

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 2 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 2 2010, 10:31 PM) *
Its incredible isn't it. The Police and those supposed to be keeping our streets safe claim to be listening and 'working with the community' but still this sort of thing goes on You couldn't make it up. Wasn't one of Nelson's relatives a vicar round here at one time? He could have been chaplain to the local constabulary 'I see no vagrants'

They may 'listen' but that doesn't mean they follow through or do anything. I think their remit was 'listen' to the pubic but then their chiefs forgot to tell them what do do afterwards. A typical Blair piece of gobbledygook. They obviously thought that 'listening' meant 'final solution'. Piffmaffpoof and it is all solved. Twenty-first century wisdom.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 2 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Just like politicians over use of the word 'change' (without fully explaining what exactly).

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 3 2010, 08:03 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Anyone got a spare £800k for a decent sized Country pad? I can't be bothered to earn it so would appreciate it if someone just gave me the money. wink.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 3 2010, 08:53 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Brad @ Aug 23 2010, 12:12 PM) *
Skyllings isn't what it used to be, seems ok these days

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 2 2010, 10:30 PM) *
What it used to be wasn't much cop either.

I think that's what he was implying. smile.gif

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Sep 2 2010, 10:18 PM) *
"Av you got a bit of cardboard in ya bag?" my response "no I don't"

Why on earth would you have a bit of cardboard in your bag, and why would he want it? It wouldn't be enough for a bed unless you have a very large bag...

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 3 2010, 09:22 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

One might have a bit of card on them that could be used for a roach.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 3 2010, 09:24 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 3 2010, 10:22 AM) *
One might have a bit of card on them that could be used for a roach.

Great minds think alike...

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 3 2010, 09:36 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 3 2010, 10:24 AM) *
Great minds think alike...

If I understand correctly, a "Roach" is the butt end of a spliff. What would this have to do with a piece of cardboard?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:05 PM