Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury Market Commemorative Plaque
Simon Kirby
post Aug 8 2015, 08:38 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

Newbury Town Council is this week to unveil a commemorative plaque to the Town Market.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Aug 8 2015, 07:39 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 8 2015, 09:38 AM) *
Newbury Town Council is this week to unveil a commemorative plaque to the Town Market.

Ahh, the lone voice!

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 9 2015, 06:37 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Aug 8 2015, 08:39 PM) *
Ahh, the lone voice!

Which, the customer or the stall holder?

I have to say, it's rather a weird - laying down a memorial stone. Normally, that's only done when the subject is dead! It suggests to me that NTC have given up on the market, after all in reality it represents Newbury's market town status about as well as the Museum represents it's history.

Nonetheless, a strange thing to do, didn't see any mention in manifestos or press releases. I haven't heard any campaigning for such a thing either. These things don't come cheap, so presumably the age of austerity and cuts is well over.

Perhaps we could have another stone immediately in front of the town hall 'Here sat the Town Council - dead, but it won't lie down'.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
CrackerJack
post Aug 10 2015, 08:25 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,554

Cllr Dave Goff, Leader of the Town Council, said: “The Market is an integral part of
Newbury. You can always find something a little bit different and it’s a much more personal
way to shop. I would encourage everyone to rediscover their local Market and see what’s on
offer.”

Knock-off cheap t-shirts, a meat van, a couple of fruit & veg stalls and somebody willing to unlock your stolen phone... yes it's remarkably different from many other markets around the country.... Well worth preserving. The plaque presumably comes with the "Here lieth Newbury Charter Market. Born 1596" Will it also show the year of it's demise and a nice 'RIP'?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:02 AM