4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cars v Bicycles, Inconsiderate Motorists
Skye
post Aug 18 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,807

Having nearly been knocked off my bicycle last Sunday by an apparent cyclist who informed me that I should be cycling on the pavement (CORRECTION YOU MUST NOT CYCLE ON THE PAVEMENT - unless it is a designated cycle or shared path), the road was neither) as is what she does, and if she was a cyclist as she said then she would not have been so close (mere inches), I was was visible, wearing a helmet and cycling a foot from the kerb and im a very experienced cyclist, that the rules of the road for cyclists as per the highway code listed on the uk.gov web site are Quote -

Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white line (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable. When leaving a cycle lane check before pulling out that it is safe to do so and signal your intention clearly to other road users. Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

Multi-lane carriageways (133-143)64
You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

[Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129] UnQuote

I am not saying that all cyclists are aware of other road users and they annoy me as much as incompetant drivers but there are more drivers than cyclists out there and the next time a driver sees a cyclist please bear in mind that you do not own the road and one day it maybe you that is on a bike on the road or one of your children and a careless inconsiderate driver comes too close.......

I did seek the advise of the police in this instance who told me that if it happens again to take down the number plate, and luckily for this particular driver I was too shaken to get her number plate. But if it happens again I will be taking down the number plate and reporting you as I have been advised to do.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Aug 18 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

I can understand the anger of cyclists, where cars are concerned, but they are also a nuisance if you own a car. Many times I have been cut up by a cyclist. Most think they own the roads and have no respect for other road users. They also go through traffic lights as if they do not exist. We should also clamp down heavy on cyclists who abuse our roads. I also accept that bad car drivers who are also a nuisance should be dealt with. I always show respect to whoever is using our road. I just wish cyclist showed respect to us car drivers.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 18 2011, 07:25 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Aug 18 2011, 08:24 PM) *
I just wish cyclist showed respect to us car drivers.

If they don't, they find-out the hard way.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Aug 18 2011, 07:56 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 18 2011, 08:25 PM) *
If they don't, they find-out the hard way.

That is all well and good but if you hit somebody it will be the car driver who will suffer (that is emotionally suffer). Then the police inquiries. It would be far better if the police cracked down on bad cyclists.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 18 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Aug 18 2011, 08:56 PM) *
That is all well and good but if you hit somebody it will be the car driver who will suffer (that is emotionally suffer). Then the police inquiries. It would be far better if the police cracked down on bad cyclists.

I must live in a different town. I can't remember a time I have had a problem with a cyclist.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 18 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 18 2011, 10:09 PM) *
I must live in a different town. I can't remember a time I have had a problem with a cyclist.

I drive around Newbury and the surrounding villages a lot and I too have never had an incident with a cyclist "having no respect".

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 18 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 18 2011, 10:22 PM) *
I drive around Newbury and the surrounding villages a lot and I too have never had an incident with a cyclist "having no respect".
Ditto....

Bikers on the other hand are often an accident looking for a place to happen.... "Think Once, Think Twice, Think BIKE" is all well and good but the buggers keep undertaking and zipping in and out of gaps in fast moving traffic. You get fed of those campaigns if the person you're meant to be looking out for doesn't give a stuff..........

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 19 2011, 04:28 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 18 2011, 10:09 PM) *

Exactly... I've never heard of a bad cyclist, plenty of bad car drivers; and I am both. Some people just love attacking us cyclists.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 19 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 19 2011, 05:28 PM) *
Exactly... I've never heard of a bad cyclist, plenty of bad car drivers; and I am both.

So am I; I'm hopeless! wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 19 2011, 04:54 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 19 2011, 05:40 PM) *
So am I; I'm hopeless! wink.gif

That didn't come out well... I am both car driver and cyclist; good on both.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 19 2011, 05:00 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

The only real problem I have had with cyclists is that they hold me up sometimes and they just do not care about the laws of the road. But whilst I see plenty doing things that aren't necessarily legal, they haven't actually affected me in any way.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 19 2011, 05:26 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

I do live in Central London. You have to watch out for cyclists who ride those bikes without gears. Very lightweight and can go pretty fast. So when a car slows to allow a r/ turn during the rush hour you have to be very careful for them.

Daughter has taken to biking down to Brick Lane where she works. Only 1 short stretch of main road to cope with,
she says cars and taxis are fine,buses even. It is the ferocious cyclists that make her wobble!

She is a fair weather cyclist and once the dark descends I think it will be a book on the bus for her.
Give her a 16 hand pony and she would make mincemeat of them!
ce

+Quote Post
HJD
post Aug 19 2011, 06:00 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (spartacus @ Aug 18 2011, 11:24 PM) *
Ditto....

Bikers on the other hand are often an accident looking for a place to happen.... "Think Once, Think Twice, Think BIKE" is all well and good but the buggers keep undertaking and zipping in and out of gaps in fast moving traffic. You get fed of those campaigns if the person you're meant to be looking out for doesn't give a stuff..........

Well i suppose one does unsure.gif , ahem' are you Brewmaster in disguise by any chance ! huh.gif
Oh yes the original posting was about cyclists. I suggest if anyone has to drive regularly in London they know very well what it's like having to cope with the verging on suicidal antics of some of them angry.gif .

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 19 2011, 06:33 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Couldn't agree with you more HJD. I happen to live by a 6'6" restriction. Yesterday we were all watching a huge lorry trying to reverse into a side road. At one stage the driver had the trailer on a 90% lock and was doing a terrific job.

He had a helper at the back,all the beeps were going,reversing at a slow speed. Blow me down a silly cyclist decided to weave round the back of the moving 40 tonne vehicle, narrowly missing running into the back.

It was a bit of an event and we were all ready to witness the antics of the cyclist as being dangerous.All ended well.

So it's a bit of a non story really. Cyclists do get into dangerous situations by their own mistakes.
I do cycle, and once motorcycled as well. I kept falling off so gave that up long ago.

+Quote Post
NORTHENDER
post Aug 20 2011, 08:04 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,173

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Aug 19 2011, 07:33 PM) *
Couldn't agree with you more HJD. I happen to live by a 6'6" restriction. Yesterday we were all watching a huge lorry trying to reverse into a side road. At one stage the driver had the trailer on a 90% lock and was doing a terrific job.

He had a helper at the back,all the beeps were going,reversing at a slow speed. Blow me down a silly cyclist decided to weave round the back of the moving 40 tonne vehicle, narrowly missing running into the back.

It was a bit of an event and we were all ready to witness the antics of the cyclist as being dangerous.All ended well.

So it's a bit of a non story really. Cyclists do get into dangerous situations by their own mistakes.
I do cycle, and once motorcycled as well. I kept falling off so gave that up long ago.

I have the perfect avatar for you Nothing Much rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 20 2011, 10:01 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

This one I keep for special occasions.
ce
Attached File(s)
Attached File  avatar_002.jpg ( 2.63K ) Number of downloads: 10

+Quote Post
Rusty Bullet
post Aug 20 2011, 08:45 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 53

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 19 2011, 05:28 PM) *
I've never heard of a bad cyclist

QUOTE (GMR)
I've often seen cyclists ride dangerously while the police have been patrolling and totally ignored such antics

Sure?Don't remember this?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 21 2011, 07:38 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Rusty Bullet @ Aug 20 2011, 09:45 PM) *

I suppose the danger is situational. The incidents highlighted are where cyclists and pedestrians meet. What a silly idea - normal person would think of actually riding a bike through a department store, so why the authorities think its acceptable is beyond me.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 21 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rusty Bullet @ Aug 20 2011, 09:45 PM) *

The difference is 'heard' and 'seen' wink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 22 2011, 11:18 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

I was driving through the New Forrest at the weekend and although the roads there are intended for all road users I was staggered at the stupid selfishness of cyclists who not only insist on being two or even three abreast, some even cycle in the middle of the on coming lane. It was apparent that they felt cars should not be there and were"making a statement".
I would be amazed if there are not cyclist knocked off of their bikes on a daily basis.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:58 PM