> 29th March 2019, Independence Day
x2lls
post Jun 30 2018, 12:55 AM
Post #81

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 511

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 29 2018, 03:44 PM) *
Personally I prefer French wine...Cote Du Walsall & Pays de Kidderminster? No thanks...

Which implies you don't consider the quality, simply from where it doth ferment.
That's a great example of doing us down.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 30 2018, 02:33 AM
Post #82

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 29 2018, 08:01 PM) *
No its not. If you feel that strongly about it and have spare rooms, you could easily help as it appears dannyboy has done.

Yes it is because I wouldn’t want any stranger in my home either; being an immigrant isn’t the issue. Having said that, I’m not sure open boarders are a good idea. Road to **** paved with good intentions, etc.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 30 2018, 02:34 AM
Post #83

Advanced Member

Amused by this: The Trouble With Identity Politics.

+Quote Post
newres
post Jun 30 2018, 05:23 AM
Post #84

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 30 2018, 03:33 AM) *
Yes it is because I wouldn’t want any stranger in my home either; being an immigrant isn’t the issue. Having said that, I’m not sure open boarders are a good idea. Road to **** paved with good intentions, etc.

And I don’t think completely open borders are either. But then the UK has never had that and when I go to France I have to show my passport.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 30 2018, 05:55 AM
Post #85

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 30 2018, 03:33 AM) *

Quite so, even if you are someone who likes casual visitors and invite them in, you don't leave the front door unlocked!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 30 2018, 02:53 PM
Post #86

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 29 2018, 07:59 PM) *
Good for you...How did that come about?

We were asked if we'd house the lad after he was beaten up in Reading on more than one occasion. Social services thought Newbury would be better for him.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 30 2018, 02:54 PM
Post #87

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jun 30 2018, 01:55 AM) *
Which implies you don't consider the quality, simply from where it doth ferment.
That's a great example of doing us down.

Have you tasted English wine?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 30 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #88

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 30 2018, 03:54 PM) *
Have you tasted English wine?

Quite. Won many awards recently and great vine weather at the moment. An upside to global warming... For once...

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 30 2018, 03:14 PM
Post #89

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 30 2018, 03:53 PM) *
We were asked if we'd house the lad after he was beaten up in Reading on more than one occasion. Social services thought Newbury would be better for him.

👍 Actions speak louder than words. Applause sir. Courage of your convictions. Others should take note.

+Quote Post
newres
post Jul 1 2018, 11:07 AM
Post #90

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 30 2018, 04:14 PM) *
👍 Actions speak louder than words. Applause sir. Courage of your convictions. Others should take note.

Prat.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 1 2018, 11:47 AM
Post #91

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Jul 1 2018, 12:07 PM) *
Prat.

Eh! huh.gif

+Quote Post
newres
post Jul 1 2018, 12:18 PM
Post #92

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 1 2018, 12:47 PM) *
Eh! huh.gif

You don’t think it’s a prattish argument to say if you haven’t personally taken in a refugee your opinion isn’t valid?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 1 2018, 01:27 PM
Post #93

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Jul 1 2018, 01:18 PM) *
You don’t think it’s a prattish argument to say if you haven’t personally taken in a refugee your opinion isn’t valid?

No. It shows some care and walk the walk and others like to pretend they care.😂You remind me of Lily Allen.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 1 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #94

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Jul 1 2018, 01:18 PM) *

Where are the refugees supposed to live? Detention centre? Hotel? Or perhaps you think they should be put at the top of the housing lists....If people that want mass immigration volunteered spare rooms I'd have more sympathy for these opinions. NIMBY.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 5 2018, 08:55 AM
Post #95

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 1 2018, 04:58 PM) *
Where are the refugees supposed to live? Detention centre? Hotel? Or perhaps you think they should be put at the top of the housing lists....If people that want mass immigration volunteered spare rooms I'd have more sympathy for these opinions. NIMBY.

Interesting point; but it's a departure from the traditional high Tory view of things. Dear old Norman Tebbitt got into to trouble for enunciating it in plain language. When he was out of work, Tebbitt senior got on his bike and looked for it. Good job his travels didn't bring him to this neck of the woods - response would have been 'unless someone puts you up, p1ss off back up North'!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 5 2018, 10:17 AM
Post #96

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 1 2018, 04:58 PM) *

Maybe those people didn't want to go and bomb the cr4p out them in the first place leaving them in need of a place to go!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 5 2018, 10:33 AM
Post #97

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 5 2018, 11:17 AM) *
Maybe those people didn't want to go and bomb the cr4p out them in the first place leaving them in need of a place to go!

Perhaps I'm getting old, but I seem to remember when we had hordes of young men from a poor foreign country making a short sea crossing, notionally to work on our motorways etc.etc.etc. All quite legit and legal back then. Seem to remember some of them wanted to and actually did bomb the cr4p out of us. Lest we forget.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 5 2018, 07:03 PM
Post #98

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 5 2018, 11:17 AM) *

You are talking about refugees. Thats a whole different kettle of fish. Most of the migrants are economic and not from war torn countries. But if they are young and brown or black a lot or people "choose" to see them as refugees. And it doesn't answer my question. Where are they supposed to live if the people that want this type of immigration dont actually want to help with accomodation. Perhaps we should have a "voluntary" income tax so that those that want to help can?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 5 2018, 08:53 PM
Post #99

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 5 2018, 08:03 PM) *
You are talking about refugees. Thats a whole different kettle of fish. Most of the migrants are economic and not from war torn countries. But if they are young and brown or black a lot or people "choose" to see them as refugees. And it doesn't answer my question. Where are they supposed to live if the people that want this type of immigration dont actually want to help with accomodation. Perhaps we should have a "voluntary" income tax so that those that want to help can?

It doesn't matter what people 'choose' to see them as - the Govt is pretty strict & most immigrants are sent back. The lad we gave a roof to, once he passed his '18th' Birthday was on the first plane back to Kabul.

If a person can prove they will be in danger if sent back, they are granted refugee status. Danger is not simply living in a war torn country.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:31 PM