IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury Hospital poor service this week, From Blood takers department!
Squelchy
post Jan 15 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 47

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 15 2012, 10:30 PM) *
Members of staff at the reception should be able to tell and would be if they were trained in anything other than "gossiping" and "typing patient details really slowly on the keyboard"

So receptionists should be trained in orthopedics?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 15 2012, 10:52 PM
Post #22

Guests

They get like a 3 day induction on how to perform CPR, I'm sure they can spare 5 minutes to provide basic A+E training and an ability to tell whether a finger is broken or on how to draw blood, something which my classmates could easily achieve in year 7 when one of them very kindly cut half my finger off.

After all, if you work in an A+E ward you should be taught the basics... it's our tax payers money which provide them with their salary, we should get the most out of our tax contributions don't you agree?

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Jan 15 2012, 11:43 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 15 2012, 10:52 PM) *
After all, if you work in an A+E ward you should be taught the basics... it's our tax payers money which provide them with their salary, we should get the most out of our tax contributions don't you agree?

If you work in an A+E ward maybe. But West Berkshire Community Hospital quite clearly has large signs outside it saying NO A and E. Don't you agree?

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 15 2012, 11:56 PM
Post #24

Guests

I wouldn't call a broken finger nor a blood test an "accident" nor an "emergency". Well the finger was an accident but it wasn't an emergency. It was a MINOR INJURY for which there is a clinic there.

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Jan 16 2012, 02:53 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 15 2012, 11:56 PM) *
I wouldn't call a broken finger nor a blood test an "accident" nor an "emergency". Well the finger was an accident but it wasn't an emergency. It was a MINOR INJURY for which there is a clinic there.

Broken bones do not come under the heading 'minor injuries'. Your whinge was that receptionists couldn't treat broken bones, now you want them to do blood tests as well? You also stated that they get 3 days CPR training. No they don't.

You also said the reason you went there was '"health and safety innit". I challenge you to find any piece of H & S legislation, or any piece of H & S documentation that says should a person sustain an injury they must go to the nearest inappropriate hospital.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 16 2012, 09:26 AM
Post #26

Guests

Um, I challenge you to explain in less than 30 words how a broken Index Finger on my left hand can be classed as anything other than a"minor injury". While it's in some peoples nature to ***** and moan about a papercut or similar, personally I don't.

I know someone who got a broken finger and took 2 weeks off work (they worked in a sort of dry cleaning thing) and made a big boo-hoo-attention-seeking whine about it at every single possible opportunity. Where as when it happened to me, they took me to the hopsital, back to the motor factor warehouse I used to work at (I would do the picking and loading in the vans, dealing with deliveries, so a lot of lifting, manual labour with HANDS etc) where I then rode my motorcycle home (yup, left hand is clutch!!!) and was back at work, at 8:30 the next morning. I didn't even tell my Mum who I lived with at the time and my friend only noticed when I wouldn't make a pinky promise.

I said that I didn't need to go to the hospital, as I was pretty much knew what had happened, but in the event of possible broken bones, serious bloodless, etc it was in the company policy that a hospital visit was necessary. Hope that satisfies you. (not in that way) happy.gif

And yes, because everything I say is factually evident and not an "off the pill" comment at all. In actual fact I just spout crap to make you feel good about correct other people. rolleyes.gif

I'm not moaning that I had to go to the hospital itself, that's just how it goes; but the fact they took 3 hours to tell me, in about 15 minutes, a something which anyone with half a brain who had been working in a medical environment for more than 5 minutes could have told me on the door. Further to that my good man, I wasn't moaning that the receptionist couldn't diagnose me per se, it was that if they were as interested in actually learning about the profession they worked in.

Looking around online it seems the average sort of salary for a receptionist at a Hospital is about £19-£21k a year. That's quite a lot of money all things considered. I think they should have more qualifications than a Health and Safety certificate (takes 2 minutes to get), a "trained first aider" (takes about 3 hours to get and you learn nothing, trust me as I have done the course) and a brownies badge to their name. With the apparently attempts at cost reduction, etc, why shouldn't receptionists etc at Minor Injury/A&E clinics should be trained to an appropriate level. I'm not saying Dr House levels of diagnostic abilities but they should be able to tell a broken bone from a minor sprain.

That way when it's busy they can take a few people off reception (normally there is 2 or 3 people to process about...5 patients an hour??) and process people who are waiting more quickly.

And the time that I was required to go to the hopsital, for a blood test, as instructed by my GP, went to hopsital ON TIME for my BOOKED APPOINTMENT and yet I wasn't seen until hours afterwards, as I was sat there wanting to die. Have you ever had Glandular Fever? It's not nice...

Talking of that, biddly bong de boo da bee.

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Jan 16 2012, 09:41 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

We'll take that as a 'no' then.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 16 2012, 10:15 AM
Post #28

Guests

Guess you don't understand the "company policy" bit then. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 16 2012, 10:24 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Why didn't reception suggest you go to straight to Reading or Basingstoke?

XJ: "Hello, I think I've broken my finger."

Newbury Hospital: "OK, it is best we have a look, but there is a 3 hour wait. If it is broken, you will have to go to Reading or Basingstoke anyway, so perhaps you would be better off going straight there now?"

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jan 16 2012, 10:28 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 16 2012, 09:26 AM) *
...but they should be able to tell a broken bone from a minor sprain.

See, what you're doing here is confusing a triage nurse with a receptionist. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 16 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #31

Guests

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 16 2012, 10:24 AM) *
Why didn't reception suggest you go to straight to Reading or Basingstoke?

XJ: "Hello, I think I've broken my finger."

Newbury Hospital: "OK, it is best we have a look, but there is a 3 hour wait. If it is broken, you will have to go to Reading or Basingstoke anyway, so perhaps you would be better off going straight there now?"

That would have been acceptable too!!! but no!!!!!

Apologies Massifeheed I make that mistake often. tongue.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 16 2012, 03:57 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 15 2012, 08:50 PM) *
NHS management starts from the Health Secretary down.

No, provides strategy and direction. Management is a defined role / skill.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 16 2012, 05:07 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 16 2012, 03:57 PM) *
No, provides strategy and direction. Management is a defined role / skill.

Sorry, but I disagree.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 16 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 16 2012, 05:07 PM) *
Sorry, but I disagree.

What with the Chartered Management Institute? Care to elaborate?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 16 2012, 11:06 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 16 2012, 08:35 PM) *
What with the Chartered Management Institute? Care to elaborate?

Management is a rather open term and can refer to a number of levels. I know of three: Upper, middle, and lower.

+Quote Post
Roost
post Jan 17 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

I had to have blood taken this morning.

Having read this thread I thought I'd go prepared so took a book (Michael Connelly, brilliant!)

No issues whatsoever. On arrival there were quite a few waiting but the staff got through those quickly and I didnt have to read more than 2 pages of said book.

All staff were polite friendly and efficient.

The only issue I have was actually with the printed test form provided by my GP which said that those fasting / on warfarin would be prioritised which was not the case.

Overall the slowest thing at the hospital were those ridiculous electronic doors on going in!

gel I think you must've caught the blood dept on a bad day!

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 17 2012, 03:51 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Roost @ Jan 17 2012, 11:51 AM) *
The only issue I have was actually with the printed test form provided by my GP which said that those fasting / on warfarin would be prioritised which was not the case.

What time did you go? They say that Warfarin/fasting patients should attend before 10 and that others should not turn up before that. So the "prioritising" is based on time of attendance.

I agree with you about the doors - I walk faster than they open, hence my flat nose (no, not really wink.gif).

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 17 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 16 2012, 11:06 PM) *
Management is a rather open term and can refer to a number of levels. I know of three: Upper, middle, and lower.

And the Secretary of State does not fit any of those categories. Upper ands middle are expressions - have you ever heard of ny one describinbg themselves as a 'lower manager' an oxymorion if ever there was one

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 17 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 17 2012, 03:51 PM) *
What time did you go? They say that Warfarin/fasting patients should attend before 10 and that others should not turn up before that. So the "prioritising" is based on time of attendance.

I agree with you about the doors - I walk faster than they open, hence my flat nose (no, not really wink.gif).

So if you aren't fasting you should loose half a day? Great!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 17 2012, 08:31 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 17 2012, 07:45 PM) *
So if you aren't fasting you should loose half a day? Great!

No, just go in later.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:18 AM