Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Traffic calming on enborne road
desres123
post Jan 31 2013, 06:35 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,528

Who ever thought it was a good idea to narrow the road just past sunderland gardens needs to go back to school to learn how to design. The gap is too big so all the drivers do is drive on the other side of road and then drive in straight line through the gap without loosing speed. So now if you are coming out of Sunderland gardens and turning left you have to look right and then look left to make sure you dont meet a car on the wrong side of the road who is getting ready to go through the restriction. So well done WBC instead of making the road safer you have made it a death trap give yourselves a clap.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 31 2013, 07:50 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

You don't look left and right when pulling out normally?

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jan 31 2013, 07:53 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

At least I know where you live now.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
desres123
post Jan 31 2013, 08:28 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jan 31 2013, 07:50 PM) *
You don't look left and right when pulling out normally?

Yes will always look left and right before coming out of a junction but obvioulsy the council know they have messed up as they have had to put a sign up opp to remind drivers to look left before coming out

+Quote Post
desres123
post Jan 31 2013, 08:29 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Jan 31 2013, 07:53 PM) *
At least I know where you live now.

well that is an assumption which could be wrong

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 31 2013, 08:43 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (desres123 @ Jan 31 2013, 08:28 PM) *
Yes will always look left and right before coming out of a junction but obvioulsy the council know they have messed up as they have had to put a sign up opp to remind drivers to look left before coming out

nah the sign is to remind the majority of drivers who should not be on the road ( ie those that are driving on the wrong side of the road to avoid speed calming measures ) how to drive.....

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 31 2013, 11:08 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 31 2013, 08:43 PM) *
nah the sign is to remind the majority of drivers who should not be on the road ( ie those that are driving on the wrong side of the road to avoid speed calming measures ) how to drive.....

That's throwing good money after bad - remember, these drivers can't even read massive great no entry signs plastered on the carriageway and on adjacent poles at certain other points round town! laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jan 31 2013, 11:59 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (desres123 @ Jan 31 2013, 08:29 PM) *

Yeah but I don't see why you would make the effort of complaining about something which doesn't affect you regularly.
I for example don't give a t*ss about most things in life hence my lack of input on most things council-ish.

And I always look both ways when pulling out, as any good driver should.
Even on roundabouts I look left before turning out right. You never know what one of those there y00ts might be doing....

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 1 2013, 01:01 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 31 2013, 11:08 PM) *
That's throwing good money after bad - remember, these drivers can't even read massive great no entry signs plastered on the carriageway and on adjacent poles at certain other points round town! laugh.gif

but exonerates the powers that be.

'oh dear, you have had a crash. didn't you read the sign?'

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Feb 1 2013, 10:45 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

The sad fact is that as our roads become increasingly congested our aspirations for the freedom of open spaces becomes more apparent . The frustration of spending vast sums of disposable income on purchasing our euro hatchback and even more of the monthly income on fuel , tax, insurance etc. only goes to compound our anger at not being able to go where we wish, and when.
The question is, does the proliferation of signs , calming measures , speed cameras et al make the road safer or only go to increase the already pent up anger within .
There is an almighty paradox generated by car manufacturers who see fit to design their products to go faster than the previous model on a highway that is increasingly full of others hoping to do the same but actually completing their journey slower . There is no simple solution but by reducing pressure , however slight , on the driver by whatever means possible has to be encouraged .

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 1 2013, 11:05 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

The authorities have to find something to do to spend their time and money on: road furniture.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 1 2013, 11:14 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 1 2013, 11:05 AM) *
The authorities have to find something to do to spend their time and money on: road furniture.

Ain't that the truth! smile.gif

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 1 2013, 11:41 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I haven't seen the new measures at Sunderland Gardens yet. From what you say, it sounds as though it is narrowed from the Enborne Gate side. Wouldn't it have made more sense to narrow it from the other side since traffic coming into Newbury often fails to slow down to 30 when it reaches the limit.

+Quote Post
newres
post Feb 1 2013, 01:29 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (desres123 @ Jan 31 2013, 08:29 PM) *

Yeah, could be Ashley Close. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 1 2013, 02:31 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I took a walk up there this afternoon to see for myself. They have made a chicane - the boy racers are just going to love that. Not just the boy racers - I saw someone driving a 4x4 come through there without slowing down at all. Interesting that the 30 signs are just there for decoration.

They have also given priority to incoming vehicles, rather than the other way round, so there is no incentive to slow down at all. I shall be keeping a weather ear out for the inevitable sirens when the first accident happens.

Much as we all hate them, the only thing that is going to slow down traffic on that road is speed bumps. Either that, or cameras that actually work and are not just dummies like most of the ones in Newbury. The same thing goes for Fifth Road.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 1 2013, 04:14 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 1 2013, 02:31 PM) *
I took a walk up there this afternoon to see for myself. They have made a chicane - the boy racers are just going to love that. Not just the boy racers - I saw someone driving a 4x4 come through there without slowing down at all. Interesting that the 30 signs are just there for decoration.

They have also given priority to incoming vehicles, rather than the other way round, so there is no incentive to slow down at all. I shall be keeping a weather ear out for the inevitable sirens when the first accident happens.

Much as we all hate them, the only thing that is going to slow down traffic on that road is speed bumps. Either that, or cameras that actually work and are not just dummies like most of the ones in Newbury. The same thing goes for Fifth Road.

I don't know about Enborne Road but whatever they have done to the rest of Newbury has certainly calmed the traffic. Forty five minutes this morning from the Pipers way roundabout on the A4 to get into the Newbury Community Hospital car park. Having to go via the Newbury Business Park roundabout and back out towards Thatcham to get in the the hospital. Perhaps we should be contemplating a HS2 line to get into Newbury in under the hour? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 1 2013, 04:35 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I wouldn't start from Thatcham if I were you... biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 1 2013, 04:38 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 1 2013, 04:35 PM) *
I wouldn't start from Thatcham if I were you... biggrin.gif

Or park in Wyvale & walk. Or at the bowling alley.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 1 2013, 04:56 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 1 2013, 02:31 PM) *

Speed bumps don't really reduce speed. If people want to drive above the limit then speedbumps are not going to stop them.
All they will do is annoy people like me who have lowered cars (or who have cars with low noses from factory, EG Alfa 159, Peugeot 407, most new BMWs with the m-sport pack..

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 1 2013, 05:02 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 1 2013, 04:56 PM) *
Speed bumps don't really reduce speed. If people want to drive above the limit then speedbumps are not going to stop them.
All they will do is annoy people like me who have lowered cars (or who have cars with low noses from factory, EG Alfa 159, Peugeot 407, most new BMWs with the m-sport pack..

my satnav in the Lambo is programmed so as to avoid speed bumps & the like.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:07 PM